RE: Wheel Clamps

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:54 pm
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

The only reason we leave ours on is I would hate to drive away and leave it behind, especially at those prices

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:53 am | Scroll up

RE: Wheel Clamps

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:59 pm
by hob (deleted)

I can't put the stabiliser lever down with mine fitted so it lives in the boot while travelling .......... and gets fitted if I stop for a break where I need to leave the van unattended
Sat by the window in the cafe last time so I could see the van while eating.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator
Scroll up

RE: towing do you lock the hitch lock or not

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:06 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

It doesn't take two minutes to put it on if you are stopping at motorway services etc ! Then remove it before you move off....simples :)

Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:49 am
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

I read somewhere yesterday that the hitch lock would make it more difficult to release the van if it caught fire.Rare I know, but.....

Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:09 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

Yes, I read the same thing but haven't been able to find the fire officer's comments for a link.

I do recall caravanners being advised that if they do plan to tow with the hitch lock fitted and locked, they should have its key on the car key ring for easy access in an emergency. I don't know what the advice would be for those with keyless entry and starting though.

I only fit the hitch lock when the caravan is on site or in our garden.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:12 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:04 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

Can anyone confirm it's illegal to tow while the lock is engaged as the two little hitlers told me.

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:26 am
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I am not a lawyer but I do not believe it to be illegal. Obviously, depending on who you listen to it may or may not be recommended but that is a far cry from legality.

Stewart

Triton 420 GT 2008. Skoda Superb MK111 Saloon
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:40 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

If there was a question of legality I would have hoped that the reply to the letter in Motorhome and Caravan Club Magazine, referred to above, would have mentioned it. I'm guessing they're pretty clued up on the law and towing???

As to the fire / unhitch business, that seems a bit of a red herring. OK, if the back end was on fire then you may want to wind the jockey wheel down, find the key for the hitch lock, shuffle the car to take the strain off the connection, haul up the stabiliser, fiddle with the lock, get the hitch lock off, disconnect breakaway and electrics and unhitch - all while hoping the fire is not coming your way and the 2 6kg cylinders of Propane are not about to blow you to medium-rare pieces...............but would you? I've no idea how an Eriba fairs in fire conditions, probably better than the standard yogurt pots, but even so,,,,hmmm, would you risk it?

I suspect that the insurers who insist on this have no idea what a hitch lock does - it just sounds like a 'GOOD THING' and so they add it to the list. Personally I have no idea if the hitch lock makes any difference in the event of an accident, but if it prevents easy separation either during or after a shunt it seems a bit daft. The other question that come to mind is whether all hitch locks allow the stabiliser lever to engage fully? No idea but some of them do look awfully bulky.

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
eribanaut and like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 60 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105686 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4