Breakdown cover

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:30 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Just had the renewal for my breakdown cover and onward travel, Arrival with RAC and C&CC.
It's getting a bit expensive now at £188.79. Any cheaper alternatives, I don't need European cover.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

RE: Breakdown cover

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:35 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Green Flag with Caravan Club cost me £89? last year. I added a second car for £29. Includes homestart and 2 way travel if you have booked the campsite.
It is now £103.50 plus £23.50.
https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/insurance/...ce_mayday_cover

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:09 pm
by Pudelwagen (deleted)

Isn't Mayday cover (which takes you to your prebooked site and home again after your holiday about a hundred quid?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:21 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Hi Ray. Have you gone back to them with the threat of leaving? That's always done the trick for me with the AA.

I get an on-line quote from the RAC and just tell the AA that their main rivals will give me the same cover for about 2/3rd the price. If it doesn't work then any of the rivals are only too pleased to give you a "knock down" introductory price.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 pm

To take out Mayday cover I would have to join the CMC. That would push the total cost up to about the same.

Randa, that's been my usual trick on most insurance, energy and broadband suppliers. It might work with the RAC but the trouble is there doesn't seem to much competition. I'll give them a ring anyway.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:06 am

A 19 minute phone call to RAC just saved me £43 :)
Now down to £145. That's a bit better :)

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:50 am

It's very annoying isn't it Ray. This is how most breakdown services and home, car, caravan insurance companies work nowadays.

If you look on their website they are offering new members crazy discounts at the expense of long term members who they try to bamboozle by sending 4 page renewal reminders with terms like "Gold Card Customer" splashed all over them.

I believe that they now have to inform you of the price you paid last year but it's often buried in the smallest print at the bottom of the last page.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Ray Lawrence likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:21 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: Ray Lawrence wrote in post #5
To take out Mayday cover I would have to join the CMC. That would push the total cost up to about the same.

Randa, that's been my usual trick on most insurance, energy and broadband suppliers. It might work with the RAC but the trouble is there doesn't seem to much competition. I'll give them a ring anyway.

I have Greenflag Euro cover which gives same as Mayday but without CMC membership. Recovery Plus gives you home start, onward travel, misfuel etc for about £60.

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:47 pm

Quote: Eribanut wrote in post #8

I have Greenflag Euro cover which gives same as Mayday but without CMC membership. Recovery Plus gives you home start, onward travel, misfuel etc for about £60.

That's interesting Eribanut, does that include caravan recovery?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:10 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Living overseas we don't/can't have Greenflag but reading their name here reminds me of an incident that I was witness too earlier this year. Walking around the campsite at Troyes one evening I noticed a van sporting a UK number plate although what I at first thought to be the towing vehicle - wrong as it turned out - parked next to it was sporting French plates.

A chat with the owners sitting in their deckchairs revealed that their own vehicle (a Skoda) had broken down on the nearby motorway. The vehicle had been recalled and modified as a result of the emission scandal shortly prior to their holiday which, as it turned out, resulted in further issues being created. Authorising for repairs had been given but for reasons that escape me now they were not able to be completed in France.

Cutting the story short, a local recovery firm brought the entire outfit to the campsite and, on behalf of Greenflag, arranged for the vehicle to be transported to the French coast for onward delivery to the UK and repairs. In order that the couple still got something from their holiday they were supplied with a French car (minus towbar) meaning that whilst they couldn't complete their journey to the final destination, at least they were mobile. At the time of speaking with them they had been at the campsite for just over a week and were thoroughly enjoying the area.

At the time of our conversation arrangements were being put in hand for the van to be collected and transported to the French coast and Ferry at which time they would follow on with the loan car. This loan car would then be dropped off at the Ferry terminal and they would board as foot passengers with dock workers loading the van onto the Ferry. Upon arrival in the UK their own car would be waiting following repairs, the van would be offloaded and the couple could return home complete with van and car.

Don't know what others think but it's 10/10 for Greenflag in my book.

Last edited Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:13 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:16 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

It sounds like they had the C&MC European version of Green Flag, called Red Pennant. This really is an all signing and dancing cover. For 30 days it costs about £120, or for unlimited 30 day periods over a year £190. I took the later this year so as to cover a late 2017 and early 2018 holiday.

In 2015 I had cause to use the cover. I had towed the 650 miles to a site in the Dordogne in ignorance of a binding caravan brake drum. When we left early on a Sunday a week or so later the noise was unbelievable. I called the C&MC who agreed with my diagnosis. We limped back to the site and they re-booked us in. Somehow they got a garage with low loader and a couple of mechanics out [turns out they serviced the site owners vehicles]. They got the wheel off, cleaned the wheel and brakes out and "re-fitted" with my copper hammer, the new wheel bearing that I'd had fitted a couple of months before departure. We were up on the road late afternoon and made it to our site in the Loire whilst we still had daylight. The C&MC had phoned ahead and informed them of our problems and to be prepared for a late arrival.

Service as you say 10/10.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:32 am

Since renewing my RAC Arrival cover at the improved price I have spotted something of concern in the small print.

In the sections named " Re-unite after breakdown" and "Follow on recovery" there is an exclusion which states "We will not reunite you with your caravan/trailer more than 75 miles from your breakdown/destination"

I frequently travel more than 75 miles from home and also more than 150 miles to a campsite. Thus if I broke down midway, apparently I would neither have my caravan taken to the pre-booked campsite nor taken back home?

How does that compare with other people's policies? Anybody else checked?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:33 am

OK, panic over :)

The 75 miles is separation distance between the towing vehicle and caravan. So if the caravan was pitched up and I went out for the day and broke down, it would have to be less than 75 miles from the campsite if the car was unrepairable and I wanted to take the whole lot home.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:46 am

Oh, wonder if Red Pennant have the same separation rule? We sometimes find ourselves more than 75 miles away.

Randa

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:50 pm
by PhilipM | 208 Posts

Can anyone tell me the difference between a Green Flag standalone policy which includes caravan recovery and the C&MC Mayday policy which is provided by Green Flag? When I do a like for like quote with the same options Mayday comes out at around £40 more expensive. I can't see the added value.

Thanks

Eriba Familia 310 owner.
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 20 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5