Pull-out canopies

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:19 am
by ellen (deleted)

I have just been looking at the canopy/ awning on Emile and I wonder if this would be a good alternative for the future for our familia. So, for those Eriba friends that have them how do you rate them as an awning and are yours permanently fixed. Also, if one was to be permanently attached are you still able to use the awning rail? Thanks in advance. Ellen.

Proud owners of Doo-Dah our Familia 310

Last edited Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:28 am | Scroll up

RE: Pull out canopys

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:37 am
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Ellen, there's been a debate on Caravanstore pull out awnings on CT in the last day or so.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Mike J likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:26 am
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Quote: Steamdrivenandy wrote in post #2
Ellen, there's been a debate on Caravanstore pull out awnings on CT in the last day or so.

Can't find any recent debates on there Andy. There is a thread going back to 2012 and started by some block called SDA however.

What was the general consensus?

Randa

ps. there's also an interesting discussion going on here at the moment :- Isabella shadow

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:18 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:12 am

I'd C&P a link but I'm on the Nexus 4 today. The thread is titled 'Fiamma Caravanstore' and was started on 26th Jan. And I did make my feelings known on the matter.

Sorry to use this metaphor but they appear to be like Marmite, some love 'em, some hate 'em. Of course they present bigger probs to wobbly boxers as they're generally bigger and therefore heavier than Eriba size ones and they're perched much higher up. They also have a problem fitting them as they don't have a straight run in on the awning rail.

I think I'd opt for Rod's Isabella Shadow if I was after a sun shade. Easily removable, low cost and Isabella stuff is always well made.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.

Last edited Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:22 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:41 am
by KeithDM (deleted)

As the owner of 'Emile', I can only say we are delighted with the Omnistor 4900 wind-out canopy. On previous caravans (non-Eriba) we used the Fiamma bag-type and indeed on the last caravan we added the full Zip awning and found it to be very good and robust. However, manually rolling up the 3.6 metre canopy became just too much for us (old and decrepit!). Hence when the decision to switch to an Eriba was taken we were determined to have a wind-out one to make life much easier. Looking at various second-hand Eribas fitted with canopies at Automotive Leisure, we were not impressed by ones held on by the three brackets, which seemed to be the standard option. Discussing it with Jason, we were put in contact with John Rose of Rose Awnings (the official Omnistor importer, who is based in Hamworthy, just a few miles down the road from A.L.) John came up with the idea of a specially contoured length of aluminium extrusion to fit against Emile's roof above the normal awning rail. The extrusion is structurally bonded to the roof and the canopy casing fits snugly into it (standard methodology for motor homes). See photo below. John carried out the fitting whilst the Eriba was at A.L. having its PDI and extras fitted, we collected it, drove to Hamworthy where John and his son gave us a thorough demonstration of how to fit the G2 Residence Room. The whole assembly is sealed thus preventing rain water trickling down the side of the caravan. I have no connection with John Rose but have to say it is rare to meet a business owner more helpful than John. Highly recommended.

Keith

2013 540GT & Honda CR-V 2.2 iDTEC ES-T
Emile the (less than perfect but still loveable) Eriba
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:57 am

likes this post!
Last edited Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:19 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:03 pm

Very nice looking job Keith.

Permanently fitted canopies are OK if you're certain that you or a potential future buyer won't want to fit a different sort of awning. The other potential issue is that in heavy weather the awning rail gutter can easily fill up all round the van and overspill into your covered space.

Last edited Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:49 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:25 am
by Stamford (deleted)

We have had the Omnistore wind out awning fitted, we could not fit the Residence Room because we were under 3m in our Familia, so opted for the Safari Room.
Really pleased, although really strong winds over Xmas caused a bit of a drama and we dismantled it at 02:00 one night.
There may have been no need as there were no issues with the integrity of the set-up, but "better safe than sorry was uppermost in our minds.

Don't need a Weatherman to know which way the Wind blows!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:27 am

Quote: Stamford wrote in post #8
There may have been no need as there were no issues with the integrity of the set-up, but "better safe than sorry was uppermost in our minds.

As you know, it only takes one unusually harsh gust of wind and it's gone. We remember, a couple of years ago we were sitting on a campsite in Scarborough which was quite breezy but nothing to worry about. Suddenly with a huge crash, the Omnistore with sides on the campervan behind us took off and crashed over the top of the van. It was a mangled wreck and ended up in the rubbish area.

Would you believe that some low life pinched the rolled up fabric from the rubbish area before we could lay hands on it. Some people tut-tut

Randa

Last edited Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:19 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:39 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

I can speak from experience here, as our T45 Fiamma wind out was ripped off our T5 at 2 in the morning when a storm whipped up after we had gone to bed in Slovenia cost 550 and caused 400 damage to the side of the van. We uhmed and ahhed aboutt replacing it but we did in the end, as they are very convenient, quick and there's no wet awning to store inside if you leave when its raining. Ours is permanently fitted to the van with brackets but you can put them on a rail so you can remove and use a tent awning but they are heavy and it would need two people to hold it to slide it off the rail.

Now, we use storm straps on it. We have a bar that fits across the middle that prevents most water pooling on the top but we still lower one leg as we're a bit paranoid! If there is any high wind or storms forecast, or a remote chance of it, we wind it in. We have a small pop up festival tent to throw the table and chairs in to save them getting wet when we have to wind it in, which folds flat in 2 secs and is wedged between the bikes on the rack. We're going to leave the fiamma on the T5 when we get the eriba, as we will still do weekends with only the van. We use the fabric from the old one to slide onto the front of the new one for extra shade, which looks cool as the fabric matches.

So, I like them but you have to use with caution!!

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:52 pm

'Would you believe that some low life pinched the rolled up fabric from the rubbish area before we could lay hands on it. Some people tut-tut '

I thought that was what you'd upholstered your Troll with Roger

We always found problems with the Eribas guttering overflowing in the rain as it runs right round the van and under the awning. 'Normal' removable awnings tend to fit under the gutter in the awning strip and stop the water entering the awning space.

Last edited Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:55 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:14 pm
by Stamford (deleted)

Quote: Blueyonder wrote in post #10
I can speak from experience here, as our T45 Fiamma wind out was ripped off our T5 at 2 in the morning when a storm whipped up after we had gone to bed in Slovenia cost 550 and caused 400 damage to the side of the van. We uhmed and ahhed aboutt replacing it but we did in the end, as they are very convenient, quick and there's no wet awning to store inside if you leave when its raining. Ours is permanently fitted to the van with brackets but you can put them on a rail so you can remove and use a tent awning but they are heavy and it would need two people to hold it to slide it off the rail.

Now, we use storm straps on it. We have a bar that fits across the middle that prevents most water pooling on the top but we still lower one leg as we're a bit paranoid! If there is any high wind or storms forecast, or a remote chance of it, we wind it in. We have a small pop up festival tent to throw the table and chairs in to save them getting wet when we have to wind it in, which folds flat in 2 secs and is wedged between the bikes on the rack. We're going to leave the fiamma on the T5 when we get the eriba, as we will still do weekends with only the van. We use the fabric from the old one to slide onto the front of the new one for extra shade, which looks cool as the fabric matches.

So, I like them but you have to use with caution!!

I took all that on board mate, and have every possible precaution, we always use the Thule straps and an awning strap if wind is forecast.
Peggy Pegs do a quick-release Hold down plate for the legs of a Fiamma or Omnistore which enable each leg to be secured by 4 screwpegs, but released in seconds,..so the chances of the whole tot flying up are really reduced, if not impossible.
We have, however,reduced the dependency on what is kept in the Awning and room, so that a speedy breakdown can be effected if, sorry, WHEN.....the Weather Gods refuse to play nicely.
It is a compromise, but overall I think the pleasure the Safari room gives us is worth it.
PS...I'm going to pinch the Idea of a Pop-up to throw the kit into in an emergency,...Thanks!

Don't need a Weatherman to know which way the Wind blows!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:56 pm

One problem we found with a Caravanstore and the sides that zip on etc is that in warm weather the plastic has an overwhelming pong. At least ordinary awnings don't seem to have that problem.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:53 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

we have a caravan store after using a material canopy and 2 legs, while guy lining, a small mistake nearly ended up with a damaged eriba we invested in a caravan store to stop that problem although you can leave cs on awning, we remove for travelling.
we used it in rain and a small breeze, bought a front (we found the towels were not long enough to block sun out of eyes) but only used the front 4 times, its nice to have a small breeze barrier. But we find we dare not leave the thing up over night anymore, although it is easy to drop if needed, just don't fancy a 3am awning drop again in PJ's.
our last trip out, it rained a lot and the water collected inside the bag, its amazing how much water appeared and soaked when we put up to relax outside. Hung out to dry??
We always fit a awning strap for that one gust that appears from no where.
we did have it up over the Christmas 2012 period when it snowed and it kept us dry while a project was being completed..
A couple of things to watch out for:
is how much tension you apply to the side rails more tension the more the fabric stretches in hot weather.
The side poles are sort of inline with the body work, more pressure and there is a chance of dinting
although it is possible with some select words fitting to awning to rail on own once unrolled, its easier to get someone to unwind and hold the awning up while the other person feeds.

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:26 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

Our fiamma awning incident in slovenia ..... the awning was all tied down but the wind whipped sideways with some water held on the top of the awning. If you can imagine the whole thing slanting sideways, the boom buckled and one end pushed into the side of the van causing the dent and the boom mountings were trashed. So, you have to prevent the water pooling and the sideways movement, so end guy ropes are a must - the storm straps at 45 degrees and not at right angles to your van. I think it exceptional weather that causes these problems but we've had that a lot in Europe!!!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0