Triton 420 v Rockabilly Troll 530

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:53 pm
by robert wilson (deleted)

Our 420 Triton has three large windows at the rear which are very nice to stare out of in the morning with ones cup of tea. We have recently placed an order for a Rockabilly Troll 530 and have just noticed that it only has two windows at the rear . Why is this ? Is there a reason apart from the Rockabilly having a fixed transverse bed ? Will only two windows make the Troll seem dark? Are there any advantages in the loss of a window ?

Scroll up

RE: Triton 420 v Rockabilly Troll 530

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:04 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Hi Robert.
Yes, all rear fixed bed Eribas only have one side window. This is probably to do with the fact that the fixed bed it higher than a bed/dinette so they probaly think that the blind side is in lieu of a headboard. Big problem is that the blind side is the side opposite the door side so you sleep with the dreaded GREEN LIGHT from the fridge, in your eyes.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:05 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:29 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

No worries about the green light on newer vans. It is no more, thank goodness.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:04 pm
by richardv (deleted)

We switched from a 420 Triton to a 60th Troll 530 this year. We are very pleased with the change. No downsides at all for us.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:01 am
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Sitting in bed with the back of your head in a window/blind/curtain isn't a very comfortable experience so the window is deleted. As the only real sitting place is upfront in the nose and as you still have two rear picture windows to look out of and we don't have eyes in the back of our heads, it shouldn't be a problem. It does reduce the daylight in the back of the van by a bit but Eribas are fairly light inside anyway due to the canvas poptop surround. And as you tend to use the fixed bed mostly in the hours of darkness you probably won't notice.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:07 pm
by swa49 (deleted)

When you pile up pillows on the fixed bed like we do, you'll be happy there's no window at the head end :-) Also, we like to pitch with the door facing into open countryside, forest or the sea/river (if we're lucky). This often means that the left side of our van is facing other caravans, tents etc. Not having the window creates a sense of privacy and isolation.......if that's what you like.

Triton 430GT + Golf mk7 2.0TDi DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:57 pm

Thank you all for your reassuring comments

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:41 pm
by SteveJ (deleted)

I'm sure like most models that allow it, for an extra UKP260 you could of requested the 3rd window.

As it's available for the standard 530 so your Rockabilly Troll 530 it may also be possible

https://www.eriba.com/en/service-and-acc...nfigurator.html

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:28 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

I am now on my 4th Eriba. I can assure all would be buyers that having no window on the opposite side to the door is the only way to go. If you have a window then it is an absolute pain in the arse if you wish to sit up in bed.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:29 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

You are absolutely correct, pity the Puck owners

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:44 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:08 am
by SteveJ (deleted)

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #9
I am now on my 4th Eriba. I can assure all would be buyers that having no window on the opposite side to the door is the only way to go. If you have a window then it is an absolute pain in the arse if you wish to sit up in bed.

Colin

This may be true for your habits and your 430

However not all Eribas are twin transverse configurations for sleeping. Of the standard configurations 50% are not. Even those that can adopt this arrangement, not all owners choose this. Then there are other single owners who use the front dinette as their made up etc etc and the fixed bed options like the 542

There are many personal preferences, I say thank goodness for options for a 3rd window for some

Last edited Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:11 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:33 am
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

It's not a PIA Colin but it is very uncomforable for the head and neck and can lead to a broken or malaxdjusted window blind. As said this is because the fixed beds tend to be higher than the normal lounges and therefore when you sit up in bed and rest your head behind you it is resting on/In the window, whereas on lower beds it rests more on the side wall, below the window. Front beds don't have windows above either end, except on a very, very few highly modified vans so the issue doesn't really arise.

Having slept in our 540's single beds with my head up the back, the window wasn't an issue because my head rested on the rear body pillar, which is quite wide. As to the 542, I've always been uncertain which way round it was designed for sleeping. My experience in 540's made sleeping feet to the back feel preferable but sleeping that way in a 542 means the widest part of your body (your shoulders) is at the narrowest part of the bed. Conversely, sleeping the other way round means a kneeling waddle to the rear and then contention with the window, unless you sleep towards the side. It does make one wonder why they didn't blank off the rear window like the Pontos.

Funnily enough it's a major criticism raised by many journalists when reviewing transverse rear double bed motorhomes where a window is sometimes put in both sides, above the bed ends.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.

Last edited Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:47 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:28 pm

So steamdrivenandy, would it be correct to say that your view is that with a rear transverse bed solution you favour just two windows and not three? In any event I am not confident that a third window is indeed an available extra .

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:34 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

I love the 3 windows in the sleeping area of our 540. When I have a cup of tea in bed in the morning I twizzle round so that my back is leaning against the wardrobe. This gives me a lovely panoramic view out in the morning.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:18 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: Kam wrote in post #14
I love the 3 windows in the sleeping area of our 540. When I have a cup of tea in bed in the morning I twizzle round so that my back is leaning against the wardrobe. This gives me a lovely panoramic view out in the morning.

We sleep that way round anyway i.e. feet to rear of van. Saves looking at "The Green Light" !

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1