MOT time.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 am
by Randa france | 12.887 Posts

Oh how I hate this time of year. As I write, I sit next to the phone in anticipation of another phone call that ups the bill by a further £250. I knew about the rear discs and pads but I've just been told about two rear broken coil strings. (Bloody Belgian Roads).

What is a bit of a farce is that because of new legislation, they have also failed me for having a vertical row of stickers down from the top left hand corner of the windscreen (viewed from inside). No not "I've been to Blackpool " stickers but Highway Toll stickers (Vignettes) from Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia etc that we were obliged to purchase and display in that position during last year's trip abroad.

OK, I didn't remove them because it is almost impossible to do so unless much time and effort is spend. The glue is like s*** on a blanket. My question is that if a Brit makes more than one trip abroad each year and these stickers can be purchased for longer or frequent visits (The Swiss one is a compulsory 12 month one) how does he/she manage?

When I think of all the cars I see on a daily basis with gonks, air fresheners etc swinging off their rear view mirrors, it makes my blood boil.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Eribanut and PooleDweller like this post!
Last edited Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:48 pm | Scroll up

RE: MOT time.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:56 pm

It's bloody worse than I thought.

VW have sent a "Health Check" video of the points of failure with the MOT. The stickers they are referring to and have now been removed are the Green Emissions sticker for Germany and the Orange Emissions sticker for France.

The Green sticker has been on the vehicle forever and the Orange one since last year. They are (were) positioned on the lower right hand corner of the windscreen as per the instructions from that country. (amendment :- Viewed from inside)

Both stickers remain (should have remained) on the windscreen for the life of the vehicle and were paid for, at some cost and a great deal of effort to allow us to visit many European cities.

However, supposed new British legislation says that they obscure the driver's view of the road. Ridiculous. If at all, they prevent me from seeing a dog cocking it's leg up against my offside front wheel.

Is this just another way to get us to accept Brexit?

I talked on the phone at some length, to the MOT Inspector but he was adament. Any car park, any day in this country and you'll see several cars with Green Germany Emissions stickers on them. In fact, if his boss was in work today, I guess his car would have a few on it as he is a caravan tugger who regulalry goes abroad.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:39 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:10 pm
by granddadgrape | 1.560 Posts

Well, it's a good job we no longer have to display a tax disc, it seems to me that we would all fail the MOT if we did.

Alan

Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:32 pm

No. Tax disc is on the other side Alan, now replaced with a beautiful Eribafolk sticker. These Emissions badges have to be on the bottom right hand side. ( perhaps I should have said 'viewed from the inside" )

Randa

Last edited Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:37 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:53 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

I carnt let that froo mate, Iss moren me jobs worf.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:49 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Maybe these stickers could be stuck on a piece of transparent plastic and then put in place when you go abroad. Would that work?

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:32 pm
by granddadgrape | 1.560 Posts

I'm sorry but what's happened to good old fashioned common sense. As I get older I find I have less and less patience with these petty officials.

Alan

Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:41 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Randa,
if I am reading this correctly then you did not ask them to remove the stickers. Unless you gave them permission to take measures that got your car through the MOT then they should not have removed them and would be liable to provide replacements.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:19 pm

Unfortunately I did Colin as I thought they were talking about the vignettes only. It was only when I received a "Health Check" video about 30 minutes after they phoned that I realised which stickers they were on about.

I spent the next 30 minutes arguing with them but the upshot is that the stickers, although placed as far to the bottom corner as I could, is still an MOT failure. This afternoon I even had several members of the garage staff online checking the German and French websites and agreeing that there was no way of satisfying their requirements and at the same time satisfying MOT requirements.

However, the price of replacement is not as much as I though except for the hassle factor and the only way forward that I can see is to laminate the stickers and temporarily stick the laminated sheet into the window surround. I think someone mentioned something similar in an earlier post.

Randa

mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:27 pm
by campnsnooze | 1.148 Posts
Last edited Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:28 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:31 pm

£3.99 each? Who do you think we are, the Rothschilds? We've just had to fork out for an MOT and service

Seriously though, the MOT can affect Private Car park owners, Public Services, Taxi companies etc.

Randa

Last edited Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:55 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:55 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

if you laminate them, they can be removed whist in UK and put back when abroad ! Simples :)

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:12 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

Be careful using laminate or cling film to try and make them removable for re-use. I was told that you can get an instant fine for this in Switzerland, as they are wanting to stop people doing this and swapping between cars. The vignette there has to be stuck absolutely fast to your windscreen. If the vignette carries the registration number of the vehicle then I don't see why this is a problem, but many of them don't actually identify the vehicle it relates to.

2014 Triton 420 GT towed with a 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE with a 2018 Troll 535 on order.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:56 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.463 Posts

Our old Volvo had something very similar to that Tickettak thing on the windscreen, took me a while to work out what it was but it was useful for holding parking tickets. The problem will be I think that the Germans, French and Swiss expect these things to be stuck to the windscreen and will take a dim view of any scheme to display them without them being stuck to the screen. Then our lovely, helpful MOT chappies are going to take offence. You cant win

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:50 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: eribanaut wrote in post #5
I carnt let that froo mate, Iss moren me jobs worf.

Quote: granddadgrape wrote in post #7
I'm sorry but what's happened to good old fashioned common sense. As I get older I find I have less and less patience with these petty officials.

Quote: Julie Grafo wrote in post #14
Then our lovely, helpful MOT chappies are going to take offence. You cant win

I understand absolutely why the sticker issue is such a vexatious one, but it's not the MOT testers who make the rules, it's the Gummint. All the testers are trying to do is enforce those rules impartially across the board.

You can't make allowances for subjective decisions or common sense and nor should you.

Suppose someone you knew had removed a particulate filter from his diesel (which is illegal and an MOT fail) and Bill the tester 'overlooked' it because the two of them were in the pub darts team, you'd have every right to be incandescent with rage if Bill failed your car for exactly the same issue the next day.

The strictures of the test have to be applied to everyone in exactly the same way.

It's not fair to force the tester into deciding how sensible - or otherwise - a particular rule is. He's there to enforce them, not interpret them, and if the rules seem to be overly pernickety, it's only an attempt to remove as many grey areas as possible so that the tester does not have to make subjective decisions.

Ribski likes this post!
Last edited Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:53 am | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 10 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105780 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2