Is it possible?

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:26 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Ever since I decided to move back to an Eriba I've been wary of the fact that my 1.2 DSG Petrol Yeti has a 1200kg Towing Limit. As such, whilst looking for a 540 I've also been chatting to the supplying Skoda dealer about swapping out to a diesel with a larger tow limit, which would widen the choice of Troll.

So today I fed 'Yeti 2 litre DSG' into Google and up came a pdf of the brochure for the run-out range of Yeti's, the 'Drive' models, of which ours is one. I've never had this brochure, I think Skoda ran out of them early on.

I scanned down it to look at the differences between the 1.2 litre petrol and the 2 litre diesel and when I came to 'Maximum Towing Weight' I was gobsmacked to see the 1.2 Petrol DSG listed as 1200kg at 12% and 1500kg at 8%. This means that my current car can manage 1200kg on a hill up to 1:8 and up to 1500kg on a hill up to 1:13. On that basis, if I was towing, say 1300kg then the Yeti should be able to manage hills up to about 1:9. The questions are, how often would I tow over hills at 1:9 or steeper and does the limit Skoda post mean the car actually won't handle more than 1:9 at all, or that it will struggle?

'I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon
but to settle down and write you a line.'

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini being dragged by nothing at all
Scroll up

RE: Is it possible?

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:53 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

Depends on where you are really - Holland, East Anglia etc should be OK, but 1 in 9 Devon, Somerset, Cornwall, Yorkshire etc......

The thing to remember is that figures on paper are just that, they don't account for the real world.

Your worst case scenario is a hill start on a 1 in 8 gradient with a 1.2 litre petrol engine DSG and 1300 kilos behind you plus car full of stuff. That ain't the same as trundling it down the M5!

The power curves of diesel and petrol engines are totally different and that's why diesels are the favoured lugger - yes I know folks here pull Pucks with motorbikes and Moggies and so on, but .....................

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:23 pm

I've previously used diesel Kia's and a Volvo for towing but thought that we'd stick with the Rimini on a store n stay site, so went for a petrol. Plans all changed now and I reckon a 1300kg Troll loaded to about 1250kg will be how it would be.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:01 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.295 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Andy,
VAG have to my knowledge always given two towing figures and this should be in your owners manual. I cannot see 1200 or 1300kg making any real difference, unless you are going to be silly and take it hill climbing. Don't forget the figures they are quoting is really for towing something slab sided like a brick and not an Eriba.
I would buy a 1300kg Troll, probably a 550 like this nice one, Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eriba-Troll-5...DEAAOSwRdta16FU and just travel light for your own piece of mind for the next year or so. Yes I know a post 2010 has a better bathroom, but just a thought.

Colin

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:56 pm

I have to admit I don't recall checking the handbook, I just 'knew' the 1.2 petrol had a 1200kg limit.

Funnily enoughin the pdf brochure I 'found' today it's only the 1.2 that gets two towing figures. The 110PS 2 litre diesel gets 1500kg, the same engine in 4X4 form gets 1800kg and the 2 litre 150PS 4X4 diesel in both manual and DSG get 2100kg.

Sadly my choice of layout is strictly limited to a 540. Mrs SDA is adamant, and you know what that means!!!.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:18 pm

Yesterday I went to our local Skoda dealer to try and see what they think about the 1.2 petrol turbo's towing capabilities. Sadly by the time I got there all their tech guys had gone, so no advice. They were holding a 'special event' with three pre-registered brand new Yeti's that were available following their statutory three months purdah for tax purposes. One was a 150PS 4X4 DSG offered at £3k below list with another £500 off if I took it on a PCP.
So then it came to figures.
Our current Yeti is a year old, on 0% finance and costs us roughly £160 a month. They valued it at £15k and there's £13,750 outstanding, leaving a balance of £1,250 as a deposit on the 2 litre job. With all the discounts the 4X4 Yeti cost about £21.5k and the RV after 3 years was about £8k and the current rate of interest is nearly 7%. So that's £13.5k multiplied by 7% a year and divided by 36 months. It came to about £390 per month.

So I could keep the 1.2 for the next 30 months at £160 or swap it for a 2 litre that's otherwise identical for 36 months at £390 A month.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:43 pm

Andy,
those discounts are not big enough, look here:- http://www.westgatemotors.co.uk/skoda/ne...eti-suv-offers/

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:53 pm
by Randa france | 12.859 Posts

Cor, haven't Skodas gone up in price since they took the push bars off the back ...

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:04 pm

Possibly even worse is the high demand leading to very long delivery times. I waited nearly 5 months for a new build on my 2014 Yeti, but this is nothing compared to the wait on petrol Karoqs being ordered at present. You will not get one until Jan/Feb 2019. The situation is so bad that dealers have been told not to sell there demonstrators as they will not get replacements. No surprise when you see the reviews it is getting. It is also similar for the larger Kodiaq.

Colin

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:22 pm

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #7
Andy,
those discounts are not big enough, look here:- http://www.westgatemotors.co.uk/skoda/ne...eti-suv-offers/

Colin

None of those are 150PS DSG models Colin. The 110PS Diesel wasn't made with DSG which is a must have for us.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:31 pm

27090862 Yeti Outdoor SE L Drive 2.0 TDI SCR 150 PS 4x4 DSG Moon White Metallic £28,590 £21,991 £6,599 KA1 (Rear-view parking camera) PJA (Space saver spare wheel) PJ7 (17" Matterhorn alloy wheels in) PLA (Alcantara upholstery (alcantar) 9WT (SmartLink)

Andy, This exceeds your spec and is lower in price. If this dealer has some left others should also, but it may take a good deal of phoning around. Some good prices are still to be found out there.

Colin

Last edited Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:32 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:53 am

I've just been on Autotrader and there are no new Yeti's listed but plenty of nearly new. When I dialled down to 2 litre DSG SE Drive's half a dozen appear, all with about 1,000 miles on, rather than the 25 miles on the local one. A lot of them are being offered by the Liverpool Skoda dealer and they want £20,000 for them, which is about £4,600 off list. There are more SEL Drive's about on the same basis but their the standard price they're all clustered round is £21,500, which is about £4,850 off list.

The one that you linked to seems exceptional and they can claim '£6,000 off' because of all the cost options on it.

For me it still comes back to paying £160 a month for the next 30 months or between £350 and £400 a month for the next 36 months. That's an extra £6,000 or so over the next couple of years just to get a bit more pulling power. Financially it doesn't make sense.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:10 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: steamdrivenandy wrote in post #12
For me it still comes back to paying £160 a month for the next 30 months or between £350 and £400 a month for the next 36 months. That's an extra £6,000 or so over the next couple of years just to get a bit more pulling power. Financially it doesn't make sense.
No, it probably doesn't make sense from a financial point of view.

But if, on the other hand, it means that you'll be able to tow the caravan you really want to have without having to weigh all your socks, empty half the pepper out of its pot before hitching up or clench your buttocks every time there's a hill ahead, then it makes a ton of sense.

It'll give you the margins you crave without fretting about it every single time you set off, or needing to meticulously plan a route which is perfectly level.

That's no way to enjoy a holiday.

If you simply can't afford it, then that's that. The discussion serves no real purpose.

If you can afford it, you should do it.

Mrs Pete and I have tried to take a more sanguine view of decisions like this. If something is going to make our lives more enjoyable without leaving us on our uppers then bugger it - we'll do it.

This life isn't a dry run for another attempt later on. You need to make the most of it while you've still got it.

I realise you and I come at these kind of things from completely different standpoints - and I'm certainly not expecting you to heed my advice - but I see this one as a no-brainer.

Set fire to your spreadsheets and buy the car.

Last edited Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:13 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:47 am
by Blueyonder (deleted)

So agree with you Pepe. Yes, if you can't possibly afford something that would make a big positive difference in your life /lives, then you don't do it. However, if you can.....or if sacrificing something(s) less important means you can, then do it. Sometimes you have to forget whether something makes economic sense. If upgrading your car would give you more time away with your van, greater freedom in where you went and what you were able to do whilst away, for longer duration breaks and give you greater peace of mind, then it's a small price to pay. I guess it depends on how bigger part of your life travelling with a caravan is. We spent a ridiculous amount of money on our new car but we travel for sometimes 6 months a year with a caravan and a dog. Our sacrifice was that we went down to one single car from two, so all in all, it's probably cheaper anyway!

2014 Triton 420 GT towed with a 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE with a 2018 Troll 535 on order.

, Williebraveheart, and Eribanut like this post!
Last edited Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:47 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:48 am
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

Last month my dealer managed to source a 1.5 DSG petrol Karoq on the quayside in Germany waiting to be shipped to another dealer but with no customer name attached. I took delivery three weeks later. The bonus was it was the spec I wanted.

PS do the deal if you want to afford it.

Stewart

Triton 420 GT 2008. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 39 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12510 topics and 105561 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0