What I dislike most about caravanning in the UK

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 03, 2018 8:15 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

Apart from the exorbitant rip-off Britain cost of course - is having to bloody pre-book at camp sites even in sodding May!

When we first started holidaying with a VW camper in 1993 I naively, as it turned out, thought that we would now be free as birds to wander whenever and wherever the fancy took us. More fool me.

Last night I was hoping to book a Friday and Saturday night at either a C&CC or a C&MC site near Great Malvern in Worcestershire. Both the local club sites were fully booked, however, and the nearest site I could find that could accommodate us on a grass pitch with EHU was bloody Hereford, 30 or more miles from where we wanted to be. It was all very stressful and in a growing panic I stumped up the deposit.

What I don't understand is how people are supposed to organise their touring holidays in Britain. Is it really necessary to plan the three or four weeks with military precision and then stick to a rigid itinerary? If you've never been to a place before, how are you supposed to know how many nights you will want to stay there? What do you do if the weather in your chosen area is rubbish but is glorious in another, easily reachable part of the country? What are you supposed to do if you have noisy and unpleasant neighbours - are you expected to stick it out for your allotted time when everything tells you that you really should be making tracks for pastures new?

For that matter, what are you supposed to do if you fall in love with a place and want to extend your stay having pre-booked elsewhere and already paid deposits?

Ideally, I want to be able to head to a particular part of the country, stay there for as long as is needed to see the local places of interest and then, when I've had enough, move somewhere else repeating as necessary.

By contrast, in France in the low-season (any time except July and August) this is perfectly possible and for the past 25 years of touring with van, tent or caravan, we have never once had to pre-book a site even in honeypot locations while at the same time paying only a fraction of UK nightly charges.

The problem is that there is still so much of the UK that we want to see and explore.

So, apart from getting on the hotline to the caravanning clubs in January and block booking the year's camping calendar, what do others do (if anything) to overcome this problem?

Surely I can't be the only one that gets wound up by the reality of touring in the UK?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

RE: What I dislike most about caravanning in the UK

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 03, 2018 8:25 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.297 Posts

I think I agree with everything in your justifiable rant. To start the ball rolling I'd like to add:-
- jobs worth attitude to how you should pitch that has been mentioned by several members
- camping in an open field may be charming to some, but I want a pitch, and like a little hedge or a few bushes or trees around the edges
- "though shalt not use a ground sheet" is nice for the grass, but not for my dirty feet
- English summer weather

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 03, 2018 9:21 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

To be fair, anywhere near the three counties showground in spring/summer festival season is going to be like any french campsite near a similarly popular tourist spot, i.e. busy and booked up. We live near Malvern and there are back to back events all through the season, not just at the three counties showground but at places like the wintergardens etc. However, I agree with everything else you say.

I think the trouble is that here, campsites are typically the only source of revenue for owners, with a big capital investment required due to land values, so they work hard to get them booked early to ensure maximum occupancy. Also, us Brits (not us!) seem to like to plan ahead, booking holidays often a year in advance. There is a much bigger camping culture in France, so there are more campsites. However, for many of the owners, it is just one revenue stream, and the capital requirement i.e. land price is much lower than the UK. We have stayed in many French campsites where one of the owners works elsewhere, often in factories, and very ordinary people own campsites. Investment in a campsite here requires far higher occupancy rates to make good business sense, and the season here is also much shorter.

When we were working, we never toured in the UK. Going from place to place, staying 1 or 2 nights in each, for 3 to 4 weeks in or out of season was often impossible. In Europe, only once have we not got a pitch just turning up, outside of August. We generally stay away from tourist spots, but even in tourist destinations, a call 1 or 2 days before and you're sorted.

It is what it is, supply and demand I guess. When I was little, my parents had a VW Dormobile camper and camping was really cheap in the UK. Now people get heating and fresh flowers in the bathrooms and its almost as pricey as a night in a B&B.

Eribaless with a 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE, waiting for a 2018 Troll 535 to arrive.

Last edited Thu May 03, 2018 9:23 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 03, 2018 9:26 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Can I add for four penn'orth, as one who hasn't rambled sur la Continent, well not in the last 45 years anyway.

I'd like to add:

- the sight of Motter's dirty feet
- too many folk chasing too few pitches which leads to the problems mentioned and still dealers sell more and more.
- regimented sites with straight lines of pitches, cramming the most number of folk into the smallest space
- slash and burn gardening on some sites with no aesthetic consideration at all.
- UK summer weather

SDA

'I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon
but to settle down and write you a line.'

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini being dragged by nothing at all
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 03, 2018 9:46 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

If the C&MC charged a small deposit it would stop all the 'just in case" block bookings , some sites have all the weekends fully booked early in January...

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 03, 2018 10:21 pm

Quote: Poptop320 wrote in post #5
If the C&MC charged a small deposit it would stop all the 'just in case" block bookings , some sites have all the weekends fully booked early in January...

The issue gets churned and churned interminably on CT and, basically it's down to too many people chasing too few pitches at peak times. Relatively few pre-booked pitches are cancelled at short notice. If too many were, the Club would lose income and be keener to take more drastic action. The lack of a deposit is seen as a positive differentiator by the Club management who reckon it a benefit that many members value.

So an ideal CC member has to be selfish and look after No. 1 by booking well ahead. That doesn't help those that would rather book later as their plans clarify but, in effect, the Club encourages members to be selfish as from their point of view a site that's fully booked generally means maximised income.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 03, 2018 11:05 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

I'm starting by keeping relatively close ie within 3 hours drive to a pre booked site then return home. I like the large grass sites with few regulations but am finding them hard to find as they tend not to be well advertised. They are however more likely to have vacancies. Whether I will be able to tour without pre-booking is yet to be tested but at the moment I am not risking it. I don't want to be stuck with no option but a poor site. When I have a "little black book" of favourites it may be possible.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri May 04, 2018 9:44 am
by AndyEarle (deleted)

What a great post and agree with all the above, I remember being amazed that all the prime sites were booked at the weekend through the summer when we bought our first campervan,.
Our first trip to the continent be pre-booked all of our sites but soon realised even in August this was not necessary .
Since then we have only booked the first night and then phoned or emailed on the morning of departure for the next site, on only one occasion have we been unable to stay where we wanted when we turned up and that was because it was closed, however the owner recommended another site and phoned and confirmed an emplacement for us on delightful site 5 miles away.
Last year we decided enough was enough and now store our Eriba in France and can take advantage of cheap ferry offers and pop across on a whim.

660 GT Pontus Eggbert on the tail of Mercedes C class Estate...
Aaron Calder and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri May 04, 2018 9:50 am

We haven't tried the whim. We usually use the tunnel.

I'll get me coat.

Forum Administrator
, Eribanut, , addisb, , , cruickie and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri May 04, 2018 10:26 am
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Agree with all of comments made earlier and the reason we came out of being CC members some eight years ago. The problem is that no deposit is required when booking with C&MC. This results in the website going into overload meltdown in December when the following year bookings become available. People Block book usually the weekends, knowing if they change mind due to bad weather etc. a quick phone call or email can cancel the booking without penalty. At least the C&CC do insist on a deposit! In most cases when we were working and trying to book a weeklong break it was nigh impossible as the weekends were full.
There is a certain well known site in Bristol which unless you book a year ahead you will not get a pitch. We tried to book in January without success
We have re-joined the C&MC but only for the ferry offers and tend to use the CL's instead of the main sites.

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

Last edited Fri May 04, 2018 10:28 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri May 04, 2018 10:47 am

I've heard that about Baltic Wharf but have never been tempted to try it.

The same problem applies to Rowntree Park, York (a soulless but very conveniently located place that we once biked round for a shuftie.) We also found it impossible to get a pitch in the other C&MC site Beechwood Grange on the York ring road last year, much to our surprise.

Hawes is another popular site that we managed to get on by the skin of our teeth - as you say, it's weekends that are the problem.

We are hoping to end up at the Haltwhistle C&CC site for a better look at Hadrian's Wall but as we don't know how long we will be taking getting that far north, I can't yet make a booking. I live in hope that it won't be necessary.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri May 04, 2018 11:22 am

The same goes for Chatsworth Park, indeed all of the honeypot sites and some that aren't so sweet. I bet, that even with a deposit payable popular sites will be fully booked, well in advance, on summer weekends. Too many customers after too few pitches. Once people realise that the sites get booked up early, some decide to join in 'the game' and it becomes srlf fulfilling and self perpetuating, no matter what you do to stop it.

If you limited the number of bookings, some openly admit they'd join separately and double the number they could make as a couple. Others have even said they'd join in two or three names to ensure they get want they want.

Personally I'd like to see the cut-off date for not taking action extended out further and further 'til it hurts the block bookers and they lose all their bookings and get banned from booking for 'x' weeks. Then they might think again.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri May 04, 2018 2:36 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

If your a C&MC member you may not be aware that the booking process has now changed, especially if you have put the free magazine straight in the bin...

You could only book for the next year when the portal opened in mid December the previous year causing a mad scramble for the popular sites. They now have a rolling 12 month booking process, see the C&MC blurb below:

From now on, toward the beginning of every month, the Club will put on sale pitches for the same month of the following year e.g. early in April 2018 the Club will put on sale pitches for April 2019; early in May 2018 the Club will put on sale May 2019 and so on.

In this way members will always be able to book one year ahead.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri May 04, 2018 3:12 pm

I can't see how the new system improves matters for anyone except the CC, who no longer have to have the server capacity to deal with the annual mid-winter booking fest. It certainly keeps the block bookers on their toes at the start of every month to keep their bag of bookings up to date and they'll maybe miss the cut and thrust of 'annual booking day's. It does nothing to help those who want to book later and who don't want to engage in selfish overbooking.

Last edited Fri May 04, 2018 3:13 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri May 04, 2018 3:53 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

I thought caravaning would give me the freedom to go anywhere and whenever I want. Booking a year in advance goes against the essence of caravaning. It doesn't encourage me to join a caravan club.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
, granddadgrape, Rickys Rav and like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 50 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12512 topics and 105577 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4