Any sat nav recommendations?

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat May 19, 2018 3:36 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I haven't used my old TomTom One for ages as the Yeti has satnav built in and I've sometimes used Google Maps instead in Mrs SDA's Twingo. However the soon to arrive Transit has no sat nav, so I tried to resurrect the TomTom, but no luck. The case is falling apart with three of the four screw fitments broken. Well it is at least 12 years old.

So have any Eribaists got any recommended replacements?

'I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon
but to settle down and write you a line.'

Awaiting collection of a Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.

Last edited Sat May 19, 2018 3:37 pm | Scroll up

RE: Any sat nav recommendations?

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat May 19, 2018 4:35 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

I have a Garmin that I'll use when using the car sans caravan but I wouldn't trust it when towing as they can take you down some pretty stupid lanes and back roads if you aren't careful.

When we are touring I stick to main roads and plan out the route between sites using a road atlas. I write the road numbers and place names on a piece of paper together with the relevant map pages for the benefit of my navigatrix. Also I never trust the satnav to get me to a campsite and always follow the directions they provide.

The satnav comes into its own though when we have completely cocked-up the map reading ended up in some city centre without a clue as to how to get back onto our route.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Sat May 19, 2018 4:37 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat May 19, 2018 5:21 pm
by AndyEarle (deleted)

We have just bought the Garmin that has a caravan setting you input your dimensions and it picks your route, however we have not used it yet it will be getting sea trials in June

The one on the car has got us into trouble a couple of times so we tend to plan with maps and use the sat nav as a bit of a security blanket, I do take great delight in ignoring it, probably talk more to it than the wife tbh...........

660 GT Pontus Eggbert on the tail of Mercedes C class Estate...
addisb and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat May 19, 2018 5:29 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

We use the Garmin 660 camper, you can set it for solo car, car+caravan, or motorhome, putting in various sizes weights etc, hasn't let us down so far in three years use, mapping for the whole of Europe + Morocco, with free updates, it also has all the ACSI sites flagged, we bought it from Aldi on special for £199, it was basically the same one the CC were selling for £300. I think Garmin have updated it recently with a dashcam built in.
I see that TomTom have just released a new one for campers as well.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat May 19, 2018 5:48 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

I'm also a Garmin user. Chosen initially over TomTom as we travel in France where district codes can cover a very large area and Garmin allows you to input lat-long co-ordinates. I'm not sure if TomTom do this yet.
First unit sold after 5yrs, second still going well at 7yrs old but with new battery in after 5yrs. Yes it makes mistakes [but I cannot remember when last], but less than me and usually only minor.
I have this morning received in the post a new/unused/boxed Avtex Tourer Caravan Club unit [Garmin] bought for £200 on Gumtree.
I only did this as the lovely Mrs eribaMotters wanted a satnav so she has the old one and I have the new one. I went for this unit due to price, screen size at 7" is very nice and the extra little things it includes.I do not know how good the caravan facility is on the unit but time will tell.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat May 19, 2018 6:01 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

My Nissan satnav is quite honesty rubbish at anything. If you choose the shortest route it sends you down unsuitable lanes, and does exactly the same thing if you choose quickest route. My £60 Garmin does a better job. Maybe a HGV satnav would be suitable but they are expensive. What I do is add waypoints to force the satnav to sensible. You could always use a phone app!

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Sat May 19, 2018 6:05 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat May 19, 2018 8:09 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Car, only has a TomTom Great Britain sat nav fitted, when we go abroad we have a TomTom Pro 6200 which you can also put in your height , width , and length No of axles ect . This fits directly over the original car sat nav being the same size .It can also be programed in latitude and longitude .

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun May 20, 2018 6:44 am

Definitely some things to think about in the replies, thanks folk.

I didn't know the CC sold Santa's, though I've seen the Avtex sat nav advertised in their monthly comic but thought that was an independent retailer. I also didn't know the Avtex and Garmin machines are one and the same. This all very confusing and more complex than I thought.

Awaiting collection of a Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.

Last edited Sun May 20, 2018 6:45 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun May 20, 2018 7:39 am
by Tonks (deleted)

After my excellent snooper satnav died after 12 years exceptional service and I saw the cost of a half decent replacement, I started using Google maps on my phone. Superb up to date mapping, no purchase outlay or annual map update costs, miserly use of data and also knows exactly where the traffic jams and accidents are, immediately offering alternative routes. I learnt the hard way when ignoring a route change and was stuck in 2 hours of traffic. Should have listened !

Give it a go and save yourself £300.

Ford S Max tugging along a new to us 2015 Eriba Troll 530GT.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun May 20, 2018 8:20 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Out tomtom is pants. Especially if intelligent planning is enabled. If it can send you down a cycle track parallel to a main road, it will. I use a map and Google maps. Its a shame as i like the tomtom screen. Other options are so expensive. I'd need it written in stone that they were reliable before forking out so much.

Last edited Sun May 20, 2018 8:21 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun May 20, 2018 9:31 am
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Like Tonks, I use google maps now. My car has the facility to display a limited version of the phone app on the main screen using Androidauto.

My only complaint with Google maps is that it does not monitor speed limits so does not warn of overspeeding.

Waze can also be used with androidauto and is a dedicated satnav but it is continuously updated by other users and likely to give you a short cut not suitable for towing a caravan.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon May 21, 2018 7:22 am
by granddadgrape | 1.560 Posts

It's Google maps for me.

Liz & Alan
Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon May 21, 2018 11:27 am

I think I'll see how I get on with Google initially and avoid shelling out (always a good aim). One thing I was hoping was to get a reversing camera linked into the satnav screen to save a dashboard strewn with screens.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 22, 2018 12:41 pm
by SteveH (deleted)

Google maps and common sense. Research your routes.

Yorkshire chap showing Essex folk how it should be done sInce 1986.
Phillys the Hilux holding hands with Winnie the Troll 550.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 22, 2018 2:09 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: steamdrivenandy wrote in post #13
I think I'll see how I get on with Google initially and avoid shelling out.
Andy, this Tom Tom from Aldi is only £89.99.

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105780 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2