RE: 535 Troll Fridge

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:40 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Caravan fridges tend to be chilled by the icebox. So if you're making ice in the freezer the rest of the box should chill down automatically. I don't think you'll find there's any other chilling equipment in the fridge to reduce the temperature in the chilled area.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:43 pm

I've just removed sticky tape on our compressor fridge that was used by the manufacturer to fix the light cover and drip tray in place when it was built ten years ago. Obviously the converters never removed it and the one owner for the last ten years didn't bother either.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:32 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

I wonder if fridge performance is part of the pdi.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:47 am

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #18
I wonder if fridge performance is part of the pdi.

Colin

Maybe, in the sense that 'do the controls light up', 'does the interior light work', even 'does it get cold', but I doubt they check what temperature it reaches etc, probably not enough time to establish that with any certainty.

I'm still puzzled how it can freeze water but not chill the rest of the cabinet interior. Usually the freezer is the only chill source and the cooling in the rest of the cabinet relies on cold air moving down from there. Is there something just below the freezer compartment that's obstructing the chilled air and stopping it from circulating?

My thought being that changing the fridge won't help if the only chilling comes from the freezer box and that's working as it should.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:40 am
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: steamdrivenandy wrote in post #16
Caravan fridges tend to be chilled by the icebox. So if you're making ice in the freezer the rest of the box should chill down automatically. I don't think you'll find there's any other chilling equipment in the fridge to reduce the temperature in the chilled area.

Our 3-way absorption fridge in the Troll has 2 cooling elements; one in the ice box, the other fixed to a large aluminium heatsink on the back panel next to the ice box...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:46 am

I'm not sure that there is another element in the ice box of the absorption models or whether all the chilling comes from that heatsink behind and below the icebox.

Compressor fridges don't have a visible heatsink like absorptions. As I say they run in the same way as a domestic fridge.

I notice that on the Thetford 90 litre compressor fridge handbook it says that it has a day and a nightime setting. The nightime uses less power as the door is not opened so much and therefore less heat is introduced to the cabinet. In a way that makes sense but in another, it doesn't. In the dead of night you can usually hear a compressor fridge when the motor runs. There tends to be a slight 'click' as the thermostat kicks in and then a faint whirr, usually from the fan on the motor. Of course an absorption fridge is totally silent most of the time. Now if it's running on less power, even though at night it's likely to start up less, but when it does run, it will surely run for longer to get to the set temperature and potentially disturb slumber for longer. If it's on a hook up you might as well leave it on day setting and get the fridge up to temperature quicker.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

Last edited Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:59 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:07 pm
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: steamdrivenandy wrote in post #21
If it's on a hook up you might as well leave it on day setting and get the fridge up to temperature quicker.

Or maybe even 'down' to temperature...?

likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4