550 Omnistor and Other Options

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:05 am
by SteveJ (deleted)

Appols in advance for my rather long 1st posting but I thought it would be nice to share some of my research back in to vanning

We live mainly in Thailand but there is only so many days of the year you can sit around your own pool drinking cheap beer

Still we thought after a long time of not vanning +20 years it would be nice to spend some extended time in Europe touring each year

We rather liked the look and layout of the Troll 550 but with rear dinette option although a close call with the 535 having a nice fridge (so we thought) and more compact heating and hot water options

One of my main and almost obsession is having factory fitted options and I very much like the Omnistor and the range of options for adding extra awning or tent mainly shown on the Thule site

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/motorhome-accessories/tents

However as the roof vent for the Truma heater on the 550 is mounted on the opposite side to all other models ie just above the door the Omnistor is not listed as a factory fitted option presumably as it would foul the vent

My 1st thoughts was is it possible to not have the Truma heater fitted (thus deleting the roof vent) and opt for the compact heating and hot water options fitted on the 535

Rick from adventure leisure (who turned out to be very helpful) 1st advises, no factory not that flexible in adhoc mods

With out being able to physically see or measure sent me off on internet searching, very annoying at times as so very few reviews show you inside cupboards or bed bases etc

However I found the correct Eriba mounting set for the Omnistor and I overlaid the dimensions

with eriba omnistore adapter.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

and a nice picture with it on the roof showing the special end caps and LED

$_57.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I then merged a 550 image with the roof of a 535 to see if a smaller say 3.0m or 2.8m Omnistor could fit

550 with 535.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Back to Rick at AL to see if he could get the parts etc and make this work

Whilst waiting for my reply I did some more searching and found these on a YouTube video

5501.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

5502.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

5503.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

5504.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

5505.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

5506.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Rick also came back and confirmed with a price

It seems it's the Triton 2.8m rail with a 3.0 Omnistor

Now to find some info on the hose conector for on board tank that some dealers list

My remark on the 535 fridge is simply that it appears to have no EHU option other than continuous charging of the battery system, Hummmmnn

Back to my armchair daydreaming till I can see one IRL

Regards

Randa france and Markeriba like this post!
Last edited Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:32 am | Scroll up

RE: 550 Omnistor and Other Options

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:10 am
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

A compressor fridge runs, when switched on, via the leisure battery at all times. The leisure battery is charged by the car's alternator when towing and by an EHU when pitched. In the rare event of no EHU a normal size battery will run the fridge for a day, maybe two (depending on conditions). A solar panel (fixed or mobile) can extend that period. I haven't pitched without EHU for the last 11 years, so it's hardly a big problem.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:15 am
by SteveJ (deleted)

Quote: steamdrivenandy wrote in post #2
A compressor fridge runs, when switched on, via the leisure battery at all times. The leisure battery is charged by the car's alternator when towing and by an EHU when pitched. In the rare event of no EHU a normal size battery will run the fridge for a day, maybe two (depending on conditions). A solar panel (fixed or mobile) can extend that period. I haven't pitched without EHU for the last 11 years, so it's hardly a big problem.

It's not a question of working its a question of rapidly diminishing your battery life

Continuous and simultaneous charging and draining of your battery is simply not good, sure un-avoidable whilst in transit for some hours but pitched up for a period you would expect the EHU to utilise a separate 12v transformer and not the battery charger via the battery to power the fridge

The standard fridge 3 way not 1 way like on the 535 a 2 way option should of been provided IMO

Last edited Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:37 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:01 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

As most continental Eriba don't have batteries, does it have to be a battery? or can it be from a the 12v unit in the caravan ?.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:05 pm

There are only 3-way and 1-way fridges, a 2-way doesn't exist. Don't forget the main market for compressor fridges is boating. I assume that you can connect a boat via an EHU when docked but I've no idea if it's a common occurrence.

I believe that, unlike the other models, the 535 has a battery etc fitted as standard. Whether it's wired so that the 12V power comes direct when on an EHU I couldn't say. For most users the van will always be on an EHU or being towed, so it'll be rare for the battery to be depleted.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:17 pm
by SteveJ (deleted)

Quote: eribanaut wrote in post #4
As most continental Eriba don't have batteries, does it have to be a battery? or can it be from a the 12v unit in the caravan ?.
Dave

The Autonomy package: 95 Ah AGM-living area battery as well as charger with integrated booster is standard on the 535 both UK and continental models

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:22 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

>There are only 3-way and 1-way fridges, a 2-way doesn't exist.<

Not quite right, I have a 2 way [230v/12v] I bought in Holland, compressor on 230v and expansion with a fan assist on 12v, but its a freestanding camping fridge.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:44 pm
by SteveJ (deleted)

Quote: steamdrivenandy wrote in post #5
There are only 3-way and 1-way fridges, a 2-way doesn't exist. Don't forget the main market for compressor fridges is boating. I assume that you can connect a boat via an EHU when docked but I've no idea if it's a common occurrence.

I believe that, unlike the other models, the 535 has a battery etc fitted as standard. Whether it's wired so that the 12V power comes direct when on an EHU I couldn't say. For most users the van will always be on an EHU or being towed, so it'll be rare for the battery to be depleted.

Sorry this is not true 2 way fridges exist and very popular from Waeco both in portable and fixed units for boats and caravans

https://www.waecofridges.co.uk/crx140.htm for example

Sometimes the 110/240 is built in other times it's an addon transformer as in link above

The only slight difference with boats is often you have onboard generators in addition to charging with engines or shore power so several permutations

The 535 maybe missing the charger/transformer option if its only running from batteries

Last edited Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:47 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:20 pm

They are one-way fridges as they run at 12V, whereas 3-way run on 12V, Mains 240ish V and gas. A transformer from mains voltage to 12V can be fitted but the motor still runs at 12V. It would surprise me if Hymer haven't fitted a transformer to the 535 so it's not always pulling power via the battery.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

Last edited Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:21 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:43 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

Our 1980 VW Devon camper had a 2-way Electrolux fridge, gas or 12v only when travelling.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:44 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:07 am
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Hi Steve.
Some very impressive research going on here.

My only concern with a Triton Omnistor on a 550 is that you don't get much door coverage as most "sunshades" can also give protection during rain showers.

We have seen one or two Eribas without roof chimneys and there was no trace of them being removed after manufacture. However these vans dated back to the good old days of French builds from Cernay.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:53 pm
by SteveJ (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #11
Hi Steve.
Some very impressive research going on here.

My only concern with a Triton Omnistor on a 550 is that you don't get much door coverage as most "sunshades" can also give protection during rain showers.

We have seen one or two Eribas without roof chimneys and there was no trace of them being removed after manufacture. However these vans dated back to the good old days of French builds from Cernay.

Randa

Thanks, Yes I agree the compromise is the door coverage or lack of and probably only 90 degree door opening with an awning attached

I was also trying to work out if for example the NL option list is greater than the UK, need to do a side by side comparision

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:13 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Steve,
skipping through your postings regarding the Omnistore, it may be worth a call to Rose Awnings. I believe they do or did the fitting for AL. Also factory supplied canopies vary in size to those after market units.
As regards options, you should be able to get what is available on the continent, but you cannot order a standard continental spec van, if that makes sense. I had high back upholstery on my front dinette fitted on a factory build. This cannot be found on the list of extras but was available once the supplying dealer found out the code.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:15 am
by SteveJ (deleted)

Colin

Thanks ,yes seen several postings about Rose Awnings, my only concern is if they are not using Eriba parts then you may not get the nice little endcaps, but I'm sure a quick call would sort that out.

Glad you noted the high back option that was one of the options that was confusing me re UK vs Continental spec etc

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 63 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3