RE: 550 mirrors??

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:14 pm
by zippy | 70 Posts

after multiple eriba's over 15 years, we have never used them, never needed them and probably never will, never had a problem with the police but then we do live in Norfolk, if by some small chance I'm breaking the law then happy take that risk

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:29 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I just don't understand why some caravanners so pointedly refuse to fit them. It's no big deal and anything that can make towing safer and reduce the possibility of police intervention seems good to me.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Williebraveheart and eribanaut like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:28 am
by Toilingtroll (deleted)

Irrespective of the law I know (from practical use) extension mirrors give a better field of view behind. They take a little getting used to. I figure that ‘my task’ is to get my Troll to our holiday destination safely and with the minimum fuss. The extension mirrors when fitted are also a handy width gauge, if I can get through a gap without the mirrors touching I know the van will follow with a little safety margin. IMHO all to the good. I also figure that the cost of extension mirrors is a totally insignificant amount when compared to the cost of the van + car + relaxed holiday. I also have a safety string on both mirrors that, should they come loose, they’ll be prevented from dropping off. But, in any event, I’d hope to pick up a loose mirror before it comes off. All the above posts give me something to reflect on.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:33 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

Agreed. I mount my mirrors vertically and also use them as 'cat's whiskers' to judge width.

[[File:P1000929.jpg|none|auto]] Triton2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

When I lost my mirror recently (since replaced) it was my fault. We'd had a brief break in a lay by and shortly afterwards I noticed that the nearside mirror was no longer correctly adjusted. At the time I was unable to stop and just assumed that I or Mrs C had bumped into the mirror during our break and knocked it out of adjustment. Before I could find somewhere safe to stop, it had gone.

I now realise that the mirror hadn't been knocked, it had begun to work loose so if it ever happens again, I'll know what's afoot. One problem with the Milenco 'Aeros' is knowing how hard to tighten the attachment screws without damaging the car door mirror. Clearly I'd been over-cautious on the last occasion.

As for a safety string on each mirror, I think that's asking for trouble as before you would be able to stop to refix your mirror, it would more than likely have rattled against the car door skin causing damage that would be more expensive to repair than the cost of a replacement mirror (currently just under £30).

I think the one time I really appreciate the extension mirrors is when joining a continental dual carriageway or motorway when good rearward vision without blind spots is absolutely essential.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:07 pm

When sold my caravan, a few weeks back, I discovered that one of the Aero mirrors had a broken glass. Given that the van had been on a store and stay site for two years I'd had no reason to even look at the mirrors for at least that long. Just one mirror and plastic surround was about a tenner plus postage.

As the buyers were new to caravanning I threw in the mirrors and both Aquaroll and Wastemaster in the deal, along with a whole heap of other stuff they'd need.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:05 pm

Quote: steamdrivenandy wrote in post #21
As the buyers were new to caravanning I threw in the mirrors and both Aquaroll and Wastemaster in the deal, along with a whole heap of other stuff they'd need.
I can picture the scene, "Cor, luvva duck! Gawd bless you, Guv'nor! You're a true gennleman, aint no doubt abaht it!" followed by much obsequious cap doffing and forelock tugging.

68.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

It fair brings tears to the eyes.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:32 pm

Well it certainly saved them more than a hundred sovereigns compared to buying it all new.

And I've ended up with a surfeit of EHU, even after including one with the sale. I've now got my original spare, plus one that was in the Innovation when I collected it and a brand new one in it's packaging that was handed to me by a member of dealer staff when I collected the van. Three EHU cables is at least one too many.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:26 pm

I'm sure someone will be pleased to take one off your hands.

Did you get all your snags on the NotanEribacar sorted to your satisfaction?

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:18 pm

Just spent 3 nights at Bolton Abbey Brian, with a new second leisure battery and split charge relay removed (?) all the hab. bits are working as they should. Lights and pump work on hookup and caravan battery and fridge on EHU and when off EHU, just as it should. I've run the diesel heater and that works fine too.
The dealer had two new rear tyres fitted and the aircon regassed and a new vent flap motor fitted and that works too. Thank goodness in this current weather.

So, yes all now works as it should and I guess the dealer is down anywhere between £500 and £1,000 on the deal.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:48 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

And if your thinking of towing on the continent then we find the passenger extension mirror is really useful when going through the motorway peage as you can see the caravan wheel to get close to the kerb making it easier to reach out for a ticket or paying.
We also mount our mirrors vertically so I can see the caravan wheels in the bottom corners.
20180628_164017.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2012 Troll 550 - BMW 220d Cabriolet

Last edited Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:50 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:30 pm
by Len Amey (deleted)

Started a new topic

Last edited Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:29 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 22 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1