550 mirrors??

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:23 pm
by Wildy (deleted)

Hi
Do you need the longer car wing mirrors when towing the Troll 550??

Scroll up

RE: 550 mirrors??

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:06 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

The actual legal requirement for extended wing mirrors is a bit vague and open to interpretation by the local police.
Being risk averse I fit mirrors anyway to my Triton 430 even though I don't need or use them as such.
Your Troll is wider than my Triton and I would imagine that you would need them anyway.

I use Milenco Aero, not the cheapest but possibly the best for stability and ease of attachment.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:56 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

As Ray above. I use Milenco Aero with my Triton. You do not realise how much you are missing until you fit the mirrors. You might be very lucky and able to argue the toss if pulled over, but it is not worth the risk. Go for better view and peace of mind. Use extension mirrors.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
cruickie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:12 pm
by andy66 (deleted)

I always use them on my triton. Keeps the police uninterested, and reminds me I'm towing a caravan.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:44 am
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

There's no point in not fitting extension mirrors when towing, whatever the size of van/car. As others say, it reduces the risk of being pulled over and delayed and gives you a better view of the van AND the road behind it. Why bother not fitting them?

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
cruickie and Williebraveheart like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:32 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

I had to buy a replacement Milenco Aero mirror (£27) for the one that dropped off on the way home last week and this diagram was on the box it came in. It should explain things.

Mirrors01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:41 am
by Suzywong (deleted)

We have the Milenco aero 2, which some would have thought would be an overkill on our 320, but I won’t tow without extra mirrors.
Just changed to Troll 540 and Milenco’S perfect.

Troll 540 pushing Mazda CX-5
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:50 am
by gattim (deleted)

EMUK mirrors are really good, very steady and basically can’t be lost like Milenco’s
See here Towing mirrors

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:12 am
by Kam | 139 Posts

Looking at the diagram on the Milenco mirrors box reinforces the need not to use extension mirrors. My Troll 540 is exactly (to within a millimetre) the same width as the bodywork of my Volvo XC60 (excluding the Volvo’s mirrors). They are both 200cm wide.

As such I satisfy the conditions for the required view without towing mirrors so surely they are unnecessary.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:20 am

The point is to be able to see more behind the caravan than you can with ordinary mirrors even if the mirrors happen to be as wide as the van. Fitting mirrors to your Volvo will give a much wider angle as you'll be viewing from further away from the car body. However if you want to get pulled over and argue the toss with the police and maybe get a ticket and a delay, go ahead. It's much, much easier to take the precautionary approach and avoid such things in the first place. A sound principle for all safe motoring.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:46 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

If my mirrors show the required view in the diagram above I can’t see the point of fitting extension mirrors. Otherwise extension mirror should be used even when not towing as they undoubtedly give the driver a better view.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:08 pm

What's the point of not fitting them and giving the police a reason for pulling you over and at the least delaying your journey.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:21 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

Quote: Kam wrote in post #11
If my mirrors show the required view in the diagram above I can’t see the point of fitting extension mirrors.
So don't buy any. The decision is yours alone.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:39 am
by Kam | 139 Posts

I do agree that it's down to individual choice.

I was just trying to ascertain whether I'd gain any advantage in terms of my rear view or if it was simply a case of warding off unwarranted attention from traffic police. I'm loathe to buy extra kit if I don't really need it.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Well you could try marking out the required 4m at 20m distance and see if you really can see the required amount.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 52 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0