Non U.K. Suppliers

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:24 am
by Adventure Ted (deleted)

Has anyone bought a Eriba from a dealer outside the U.K.?

7 Continents ticked - now more around home with him in his van with a van.
Scroll up

RE: Non U.K. Suppliers

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:41 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

I bought a built to spec new van from Campirama in Belgium in 2007. Several others have bought from NL. Buying new this way is no longer cheaper, 2nd hand may still be, but the range available to you is far greater.
You could strike lucky with a new van on display abroad as they may be one model year/season ahead and need to shift it on at a good price.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:02 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Why not give us some prices to compare with our local dealers?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:27 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

I ordered new June 2016, the day after Brexit.
I had new price quotes on like for like basis from Jandi, Leisure Vehicles, AL and Lowdhams. I had a list of dealer prices as internet advertised from a couple of dealers in NL. I also looked at nearly new, UK and NL.
Upon my phone call to Lowdhams, cheapest UK by some margin, they agreed to free mover, premium jockey wheel and another item I had forgotten to include. I bit their hand off. I estimated the exchange rate for a mainland Europe purchase would need to be in the region of 1.3 euros to the pound for it to have been worthwhile .

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

likes this post!
Last edited Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:53 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:20 pm
by SteveJ (deleted)

Just looking at internet prices it would appear to be 2-4k cheaper buying in mainland Europe, But this is ignoring travel costs and maybe some small conversion cost on electrics

However

Face to face deals could significantly lower this delta

What I did notice is a greater number of 535GT (and some others) available, now if these are your choice maybe some bigger bargains could be had end of season if not sold

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:19 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

If you are buying new remember to also factor in that your warranty will be invalid if you buy outside the UK.....

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:52 am
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

The Hymer warranty is international surely, though presumably local retail laws would apply to the relationship with the dealer. If a UK dealer refused to handle warranty repairs then you could end up having to ship back to the supplier.

Not sure how us leaving the EU will affect such a situation.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:00 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Quote: steamdrivenandy wrote in post #7
The Hymer warranty is international surely, though presumably local retail laws would apply to the relationship with the dealer. If a UK dealer refused to handle warranty repairs then you could end up having to ship back to the supplier.
Not sure how us leaving the EU will affect such a situation.

I would have thought the same, however I emailed Hymer and they were firm that only UK spec vans will be able to have a uk warranty.
If you search "Warranty" it's been discussed many times. I personally think it is to protect UK dealerships. I did encounter this scenario with Lowdhams Hymer dealer back in 2013 before they were an Eriba stockist, they were only prepared to service or carry out warranty work if my Familia was a UK van.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:31 pm

I would agree that a UK supplied van will have a UK warranty but if you have an issue whilst touring on the Continent, surely a Continental Hymer dealer can sort it and claim from Hymer. Of course, if the Continental doesn't wish to do so, that's up to them.

By the same token, if you purchase a new van in The Netherlands you'll have an NL warranty and just like a touring Netherlander you could have a warranty issue sorted by a UK dealer, but whether the dealer wishes to do so, again, is up to them.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:50 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Poptop320 wrote in post #8
I would have thought the same, however I emailed Hymer and they were firm that only UK spec vans will be able to have a uk warranty.
If you search "Warranty" it's been discussed many times. I personally think it is to protect UK dealerships. I did encounter this scenario with Lowdhams Hymer dealer back in 2013 before they were an Eriba stockist, they were only prepared to service or carry out warranty work if my Familia was a UK van.
It just goes to prove how far back in the dark ages the caravan industry really is.

All new cars bought in the EU have to have a pan-european two year warranty. It's been that way for a while now, and it isn't optional; it's compulsory.

Why can't the same thing apply to caravans?

Same old story. If you're looking to buy a new caravan you get the red carpet treatment only to have the rug taken out from under your feet the minute you wave goodbye in your extension mirror.

It's shameful, really.

Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:30 pm

It still comes down to the fact that under UK law it's only the supplying dealer who has a legal duty to put things right, even in the car industry. The warranty just confirms that the manufacturer will stand by by them and cover the cost. Motor dealers, under pressure from the manufacturers themselves and realising it was in their vested interests long term, accepted the repair of 'foreigners' way back. A lot of caravan dealers don't object to servicing or warranty work on vans sold by others, but there are still some who won't handle them. Eriba Touring's being a niche product, with relatively low UK volume, compared to the WWB brands, probably have a worse situation in this respect.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 72 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3