I could spit!

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:00 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

Some of you may recall that we had a serious accident in Germany last year. It wasn't our fault, a German lost control of her car bounced off the central reservation and hit our Eriba. This caused the whole unit to spin ending up with the Eriba on its side and the car badly damaged down one side. The caravan was written off (on our say so) and left in Germany. The car was brought home and repaired. Saga paid out immediately and we bought another Eriba.
Today Saga rang to tell me that a year on the German police are still UNABLE to provide a report of the accident and therefore Saga have no option but to close the claim and accept the loss (over £21,000), this means we lose our excess payment and now have a claim on our motor policy and caravan policy. This will make getting insurance more expensive in the future. None of this was our fault but due to the inefficiencies of the German police we lose financially.
Spit, I could start another war with the Germans at the moment! Bit strong I know but I'm that mad!

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+

Last edited Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:11 pm | Scroll up

RE: I could spit!

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:05 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Sorry to hear that both. I thought that somebody stopped and offered a witness statement?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:30 pm

They did but the German police have lost all the information!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:50 pm

Sounds like a cover up doesn't it? Wonder who the guilty lady driver knew?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:13 pm

That thought did occur to me but I thought I was being paranoid. That or this is the German's revenge for Brexit. (Nobody respond to that, we don't do politics).

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:48 pm

At the meet we talked about dash cameras. A little late I know but I suppose in an incident like this it would have given some proof even though the camera is front facing.

A rear facing dash cam in the Eriba using the ciggi lighter plug in? I suppose there'll be too much sway to keep it live. They switch off if the car wobbles too much.

Randa

Last edited Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:49 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:04 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #6
I suppose there'll be too much sway to keep it live. They switch off if the car wobbles too much.
What makes you say that?

We've never had a problem with a dashcam turning itself off if the car 'wobbles too much', and one of the cars is a Fiat 500 with a ride like a rollerskate. They will save a 10 or 15 second clip to the SD card's memory (which will not be overwritten) in the event that the camera detects a shock which it 'interprets' as a collision, but you can adjust the sensitivity of the sensor.

I can't think of a reason why a rear-facing dash camera in the back window of the van wouldn't work provided it's set up properly.

mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:33 pm

Zitat
Quote Pepe le Pew:- it's set up properly

That's what I hoped someone would say. Our's is fine but too sensitive so does switch off from time to time. Easy to switch back on however so haven't bothered to search out the sensitivity button.

Randa

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:21 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #8
That's what I hoped someone would say.
Just as well someone said it, then...

I've toyed briefly with the idea of a rear-facing dashcam but never got round to doing anything about it, more in a tinkering kind of way than anything else.

Fitting one would be a straightforward enough job, but it's not that which has put me off. It'd be nice to have a rear-facing camera which was live all the time and displaying a picture in the car, but that means a wireless set-up and having to display the picture on either a smartphone or a dedicated screen. I came to the conclusion that it's too much faff and clutter in the car for too little benefit, and if it's a live stream the footage won't save to a card because live rear-view cameras (reversing cameras, if you like) aren't designed for that.

It's neither fish nor fowl, and probably not worth the bother. There's also the matter of whether or not it's strictly legal to have a live 'transmission' on a screen viewable by the driver - if you've got a car with an MMI screen which can display TV or video for instance, the built-in software won't allow it to function when the car is moving.

Rear-ending the car in front while watching Harry Kane thump in the fourth goal against Croatia probably isn't a good idea.

and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:18 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

Probably won't do any good, but I'd write directly to whoever would be considered to be in charge of the German police and complain. It would seem that the Police are 'state' based, so wherever the accident happened would be relevant, but the whole shebang comes under the jurisdiction of the Minister of the Interior.

More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_in_Germany

I know you shouldn't have to do this, they should have been more competent, but I wouldnt let it rest, I'd keep at them demanding an explanation and compensation. Like I say, probably won;t get you anywhere, but you never know...

But I should say I'm really sorry to hear that, you really dont need that on top of what you have already had to deal with...

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:21 am

Thanks for that cabbie37. My insurance company are giving me all the details of who they have been dealing so that I can try and see if I can get anything out of them. Going straight to the top may be a good idea too. At the moment I'm not ready to give up.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:22 am
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

A very classy roller skate..please !

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:14 am

Zitat
Quote Cabbie37:- I know you shouldn't have to do this, they should have been more competent, but I wouldnt let it rest, I'd keep at them demanding an explanation and compensation. Like I say, probably won;t get you anywhere, but you never know...

Zitat
Quote Julie Grafo:- Thanks for that cabbie37. My insurance company are giving me all the details of who they have been dealing so that I can try and see if I can get anything out of them. Going straight to the top may be a good idea too. At the moment I'm not ready to give up.

Hi Julie. I totally agree with Hugh.and am glad you're not going to give up. Even if it gets you nowhere it'll make you feel a whole lot better about it all.

You've got your photos, your witness' address, you're suspicions. Let 'em have it Don't forget that the crazy woman could have written you off as well so you owe it to your family, nay, everybody's family. By denying guilt or getting someone to cover it up for her, she's obviously not worried about her driving ability.

Randa

Last edited Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:19 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:42 pm
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Go girl! It's ridiculous of them to treat your case this way.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:41 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Surely Saga should be working with the other parties insurers, did the other party not make a statement at the scene and fill in a the document
[ European accident statement ]
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 20 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105771 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3