Wifi

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:16 pm
by Bailey2agd (deleted)

When our new Triton finally arrives, (its taken half the time it takes to construct a cruise ship and fit it out so far!) we will be starting out on our caravanning adventure. To be fair, it’s not my bag but the other half harboured the notion and since a brand new van was cheaper than a place in France I thought I’d go along with it for now.
However, it has just dawned on me that their will be no Sky TV in it therefore no wireless broadband either. Let’s face it, it doesnt even have an oven or microwave!
The thought of being stuck in a field with no access to free internet sends shivers through me. I’ll have withdrawal fever. I won’t even eat in restaurants or drink in pubs that don’t have free WiFi.
Do sites generally offer it? Or are you stuck with your phone provider ration complete with normally poor signal?
This is a major concern, our first trip could turn me off the whole idea (that might happen anyway of course) and send me scurrying back to French property websites.

Scroll up

RE: Wifi

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:27 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Most sites provide WiFi these days, though some offer it free and others make a charge. As caravan sites tend be mainly in rural areas often mobile phone data signals are poor and site bandwidth is restricted because they are a long way from exchanges and there isn't enough potential traffic to justify fibre installation.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:37 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.304 Posts

As above, but the sites that offer wi-fi often charge and you may well have to sit in/near the bar to pick it up.
This year in France I was using a booster, one of these https://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/ib...ctional-system/ to pick up and boost the free wi-fi from the next door site about 400m away. Whilst it may not answer my desire for wi-fi every time it worked a treat.

As regards sky tv, I do not have satellite tv at home but this year I tried a Snipe 2 self seeking dish, again in France. It picked up Astra 2 in about 30 seconds and gave us TV when it went dark at night and the insects came out, and Radio 2 & 4 over breakfast. Very civilised but not cheap.

Both these pieces of kit are easy to set up. I am totally non techie, having a push button mobile phone and an old basic laptop.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:43 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:54 am
by Bryn | 992 Posts

We have a lovely 3 bed bungalow for sale in the Charente, complete with wifi and caravan storage!

and like this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:13 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:55 am
by Edna III (deleted)

Don't have a TV in ours but when desperate i set my phone up as a hot spot and watch tv through a surface pro…. just fits nicely anywhere in the Van….no signal then I read a book…..

Last edited Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:55 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:25 pm
by Rfjamieson1 (deleted)

Just back from a 3 week tour of Scotland and north Wales, 9 sites, and we gave up trying to get wifi, even on the CCC and CMC sites. Where you could buy wifi (we didn't visit one site where wifi was readily available, free), we had to hang around the toilets to get a signal! What a contrast with sites we visited in Holland and Belgium earlier in the year, where wifi was often free and readily available wherever we were on the site.
We resorted to using a phone signal - and ran out of data.I had to learn to read a book again!
We still had a fantastic time - possibly even better without the internet!
Sorry to be so negative, but it was as we found it.

Ron & Angela

Triton 420 GT 2005, Pedro, with a Mercedes 220 estate
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:49 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.304 Posts

Ron/Angela,
oh the joys of a good read. The only time I have been able to do this is on holiday. Sitting under a tree in the heat of the day, on a riverside pitch enjoying the slight cooling breeze and a cold drink. Bliss.
Having to pay for wi-fi, well good old rip off Britain. Expensive pitches and less facilities, or am I just making nasty generalisations?

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:04 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

If you're coming to France, then it depends. Some campsites only have it at reception, others all over. Sounds like you're not going to enjoy it anyway so....... grumpychops!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:26 pm
by Clippie (deleted)

In this day and age, where electronic communication is king, you would have thought that Wifi accessibility would be a 'must provide' for all sorts of commercial enterprises where their customers are expecting to be in contact with the grater human race! It is a little surprising then to find that within the world of camping and caravanning this is not the case.

Yes there are some very good sites that provide free wifi and our proud to let you know you can access it all over their sites, however the reality is that yes free wifi is available all over, but you try and get a useable signal, it is impossible unless it is about 3 am! I don’t need to go into the economics of it all, but bottom line is there is no such thing as a free lunch!

Question is what to do about it?

If you are in this country (or even in Europe now) it can be economic for you to use your mobile phone and link your laptop or tablet to your phone using your phone hotspot technology, you just have to be mindful of what your data plan is and if you are in a suitable signal area.

Some campsite will provided a decent wifi service for a charge, now the only problem here is that the charge is per device. More often we found in Europe that the bar/restaurant provides of a good usable signal which is free but limited to about a 20 metre radius of the premises (well of course it would they want you to be sat in their bar drinking their drinks and eating their food).

So the answer is to use a booster as suggested by eribaMotters, if you are looking to be a bit cleaver then look to get a repeater that will not only enhance your signal but then produce a little secure next work around your van so you can log in as many devices as you wish – so if you pay you only have to do so for one device.

I have found Solwise (https://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-usb-outdoor.htm) a very useful resource and provider of equipment for wifi matters.

If the truth be known, we have got to the stage now where wifi like the telly (which we have never carried in our vans) has some what diminished in importance. You can't beat a good Wine/Beer/Gin and a good book (or friends if they are about).

Clippie

Gofer for 2014 Triton 420 GT & Landrover Discovery Sport.

Magpie likes this post!
Last edited Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:27 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:39 pm
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: Clippie wrote in post #9

If the truth be known, we have got to the stage now where wifi like the telly (which we have never carried in our vans) has some what diminished in importance. You can't beat a good Wine/Beer/Gin and a good book (or friends if they are about).

Clippie

Hear hear!!!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:04 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Being 'always on' is a form of addiction and at least when on hols we should try and relax away from it, if we can.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:58 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

In the UK we get by very well using our mobile phones as a wifi hotspot. I have made sure that we are with different service providers currently O2 and Virgin (EE) and we have big enough data sims to satisfy one person's social media requirements :)

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:53 am
by SteveJ (deleted)

Quote: steamdrivenandy wrote in post #11
Being 'always on' is a form of addiction and at least when on hols we should try and relax away from it, if we can.

I agree other than those who do enjoy streamed TV/Netflix for example or other forms of entertainment from being online

But we can see your addiction with a post count so high in just 4.5 months of over 200/mth with less than a handful of days missed maybe you need to chillax a little

rs540 and granddadgrape like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:27 am
by granddadgrape | 1.558 Posts

Quote: SteveJ wrote in post #13

But we can see your addiction with a post count so high in just 4.5 months of over 200/mth with less than a handful of days missed maybe you need to chillax a little

You're not stalking Andy are you

Liz & Alan
Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
and rs540 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:33 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

I just download a selection of films and series to watch offline with Netflix and the BBC iPlayer.

Steve and Debbie and like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 52 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12520 topics and 105635 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0