Skoda yeti tow bar

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:37 am
by Saundersd (deleted)

Hi all, we have a 2012 Skoda yeti 4x4 to which a westfalia detachable tow bar was fitted earlier this year ( that’s the one recommended tow bar). However we found that our new Eriba 530 was towing with a nose up attitude and the caravan dealer also noticed it. I checked the tow ball height and it was 485mm to the centre of the ball which is way outside the eu’s directive on towball height. We camped at the Sheepcote. Valley site in Brighton and noticed 4 other Skoda yetis, all having a towball noticeably lower than ours. Westfalia were less than helpful when I questioned why their towbar did not meet the eu directive. Luckily the tow bar fitters we used were very helpful and now we have a Brinks detachable towbar which is a good two inches lower than the westfalia so all is now well. Thought I’d post this in case there are any yeti owners considering getting a towbar fitted

Steve and Debbie and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Skoda yeti tow bar

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:31 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.295 Posts

Good call on the Yeti. We have a 2wd of 2014 vintage that sits with the van very slightly nose up.
We had a similar problem to you with a VW Touran [same floor pan] and Westfalia bar some years ago. I looked into it in some details and it's all in the small print. The tow ball height is calculated on a fully loaded car, so you would have to get possibly more than 600kg in to take a true measurement. We have found ballasting the car on the way out with as much as we can fit in and with wine on our return from France has solved the problem.

The following show the car fully loaded for the start of our French trip last year, ie in the car we had 2 adults, fridge, freezer, big awning, 2 x tables, satelite dish and tv, heavy food boxes, shoes, electric cables, wheel lock and odd clothes.

a - August 2017 - 800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)b - August 2017-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:34 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 29 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12510 topics and 105561 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6