Anyone else had the door come off in their hand when opening?

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:00 pm
by Soulbluesman (deleted)

Just been to North Wales for a week and on trying to put the door into its catch on the body to my shock and horror I was holding the door in my hands. I immediately flashed back to all the discussions we have had on the Forum about quality of build.

After my initial shock it became clear that the bottom door hinge had broken, and had been so for some time. The upright metal bit on the bottom hinge had sheared and it had left itself inside the hole on the top piece of the hinge. By the colour of the metal you could see that this was not a fresh break.

Fortunately there is a tiny bit still protruding from the top piece and this is just enough to sit in the bottom hinge. We kept the door open on its catch and closed it as little as possible. for the journey home I was able to push it fully closed and lock it and thankfully we got back to Lancashire without any incident.

Has any one else had this happen to them?

Thankfully we are booked in for a service at Adventure Leisure in Tebay in two weeks and I have already requested that they get in a new GT silver bottom hinge fixing. it makes me wonder if the door looking twisted (which I reported earlier on the Forum) will be linked to this - we will see. MikeT

Scroll up

RE: Anyone else had the door come off in their hand when opening?

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:12 pm
by gattim (deleted)

We ended up fitting a flat bolt to the inside of ours so that the door was firmly fixed in transit, the door was definitely a little bowed and the hinges sheared if we travelled with the door unbolted

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:22 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Our wardrobe door fell off twice this year, once knocking the front off the heater, I have used a larger gauge screw to refit and so far so good but I intend to use some pan head bolts to bolt right through.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:27 pm
by Soulbluesman (deleted)

Sorry Dave I didn't make it clear that it was the external door to the caravan that came off in my hands! MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:33 pm
by gattim (deleted)

Mike,

Oops, I thought you meant the loo door!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:05 pm
by Randa france | 12.866 Posts

Quote: gattim wrote in post #5
Mike,

Oops, I thought you meant the loo door!

I was wondering how you managed to bolt the door from the inside before moving off Mike.

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:07 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

Me too, Roger.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:27 am
by Spapro (deleted)

Mike,

When we purchased our used 2015 Triton last November (from Becks Motorhomes) the bottom hinge was sheared across in a very similar sounding way to yours. Becks replaced the hinge (before collection) and adjusted the door a little (on the day of collection) after I mentioned the door was sitting a little low after the new hinge was fitted.

No idea what caused the hinge to snap as we didn't own the van until last October.

I have kept an eye on it since then and all seems ok with the new hinge at the moment.

I guess having the hinge replaced and ensuring the door is reasonably well aligned to fit in the door frame to avoid any future damage is all you can do.

Last edited Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:29 am | Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 43 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12518 topics and 105610 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6