RE: Heating a Troll

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:22 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

We have an ultraheat with blower and use instead of gas, why pay for gas when you have already paid to use the site electric?, the blower is also useful in the summer to keep the air circulating in the van as a cooler.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.

Aaron Calder and like this post!
Last edited Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:22 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:37 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.073 Posts

I use gas for cooking and hot drinks only. Even in December last year I did not feel the need for heating. You can always put a gas ring on to take the edge off while you get dressed. You've got to remember that a van is not supposed to replace a bungalow, it's supposed to be a sense of adventure. Unless you have got a bungalow on wheels I would suggest gas is cheaper than hookup.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:37 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:26 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: eribanaut wrote in post #16
...why pay for gas when you have already paid to use the site electric?
I'm not trying to pick a fight - it's too hot for that - but I simply can't understand why people are so parsimonious over a few pence worth of gas yet are perfectly happy to spend hundreds and hundreds of quid touring the continent - ferry fares, countless gallons of fuel, umpteen well-lubricated meals out...

If you're going to be cheap, the least do it honestly - find a site half a mile away with no hook-up, eat nothing but Lidl baked beans and go to bed when it gets dark.

Sheesh. I've never seen such naked hypocrisy..

granddadgrape, Rickys Rav, and like this post!
Last edited Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:54 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:09 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

As electricity is included in the ACSI price, it makes sense to use it for cooking, refrigeration and heating and use gas as an emergency backup.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
eribanaut, thecolliss and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:40 pm

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #19
As electricity is included in the ACSI price, it makes sense to use it for cooking, refrigeration and heating and use gas as an emergency backup.
Of course it does.

My observation was simply that the hair shirt doesn't always fit too well...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:10 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

hypocrisy definition: 1. a situation in which someone pretends to believe something that they do not really believe, or that is the opposite of what they do or say at ...

I actually believe that as a pensioner of limited means, that its better to use something I have already paid for rather than pay again for a similar thing with no added benefits, or do you think I should fill up with tap water then use bottle water. Being "parsimonious" is what enables me to tour the Continent for 6 months of the year rather that sitting at home nit picking other peoples choices,
Dave
PS. I'm not to sure about the hair shirt analogy, don't you find it itchy?

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.

Last edited Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:16 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:49 pm

Quote: eribanaut wrote in post #21
hypocrisy definition: 1. a situation in which someone pretends to believe something that they do not really believe, or that is the opposite of what they do or say at ...

I actually believe that as a pensioner of limited means, that its better to use something I have already paid for rather than pay again for a similar thing with no added benefits, or do you think I should fill up with tap water then use bottle water. Being "parsimonious" is what enables me to tour the Continent for 6 months of the year rather that sitting at home nit picking other peoples choices,
Dave
PS. I'm not to sure about the hair shirt analogy, don't you find it itchy?
Oh come on, Dave.

Has your sense of humour evaporated? I'll make a point of putting lots more of these things in next time, since one clearly wasn't enough.

I've got better things to do than nit pick other people's choices. Have I really got anything to gain by doing that?

Lighten up.

Last edited Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:53 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:35 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: robert wilson wrote in post #13
I think I will leave things as they stand and just do with the gas heater which I know works well in a Triton and after all the Troll isn't that much bigger. All that blown air business sounds like one more thing to go wrong and really not that necessary. Thanks all for your input.

We do not use the blown air feature as when we have with the fan on low have twice forgot to check it turned off when putting van to bed only to find a flat battery next time round !

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:50 pm
by Soulbluesman (deleted)

Robert
We have a 540GT. We got a bit confused with the blown air heating when we ordered our Troll and ended up without it. Have to say have not missed it at all.

We put the gas heater on for 5 minutes when we come in the van and that heats it up quickly. We then tend to turn it off. We then also have a small oil-filled radiator that we put on at the front dinette area. If it is really cold we will leave this little radiator on when we go out.

We also have a tiny fan heater that we have used for a bit in freezing conditions - but we never have it on for long.

If it is really , really cold we go to bed early and snuggle under the duvets to read.

We also ordered the hot water system which we know do not use - although I know others on the forum swear by them.

Good luck with your order MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:17 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

On my first trip in May in our 2006 Troll 540 I used the fan for half an hour on a chilly morning. I found it worked well as I was having coffee in the front dinette while my wife had a lie in. The fan warmed up my end of the van nicely. I probably won’t use it often but like having the option.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:55 pm
by swa49 (deleted)

There is an assumption that the site offers an EHU. We really like some of the ones that don't, so the built-in gas heater (fridge and water boiler also on gas) is my goto and it does a great job without a fan (or electric element). I'm sure the minimal extra length of a Troll makes little difference. As Soulbluesman says above, the first 5 minutes are the coolest, as the heat works it's way around the van. I'm sure the blown air system could shave a couple of minutes off the warm up time, but I just use that time to do other things. Oh, and I'll put my jumper on.

Triton 430GT + Golf mk7 2.0TDi DSG
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 35 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12518 topics and 105610 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5