Heating a Troll

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:02 am
by robert wilson (deleted)

You may well wonder why I am raising such a topic when we are experiencing one of the hottest summers on record. Well we have placed an order for a new Rockabilly Troll which won't be delivered until Nov at the earliest. The van comes with a gas convector heater with an internal electric element. Will this be sufficient or should we order blown air heating as an extra? We currently have Troll 420 which just has a gas convector heater an this is fine .

Scroll up

RE: Heating a Troll

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:48 am
by jobberwock (deleted)

I've had blown air heating similar to that you describe on the Troll and toured the French Alps and Angora in the midst of winter.

It was extremely cold outside.

I found however that I preferred the heating without the 'blown air' aspect switched on and that it was more than sufficient.

I wear twin hearing aids and found the noise of the fan distracting.

We always switched the heating off before going to sleep and although in the morning there was frost on the outside we were never cold inside.

If that helps.......

Cheers

Ian

Last edited Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:49 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:58 am
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

It depends,

The ducting and fan option isn't all that expensive, but also not all that effective, unless used at high settings for both heat and fan running. Obviously heat and fan power is lost on the way to outlets. However using the heater alone means its casing gets hot, which can be a problem if you have kids or dogs. The other thing to consider is that often when using heater only, without ducting, the under bench storage can remain cold, whilst with ducting some of the lost heat actually warms the under bench lockers. This can be imprtant of you have onboard water tanks for instance.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:15 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

Truma recommend that the Ultraheat element is used with the fan system running in order to reduce the temperature of the gas fire casing and to ensure better warm air distribution. They suggest that the fan speed be set to '3' on the dial and that the control switch be set to 'auto'.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:25 pm

If they only mean you to run it at '3' and 'auto', why on earth bother with other settings for both the element and the fan? So other alternatives are available.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:59 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

It is possible to have Ultraheat fitted to vans without blown air.
Also the Truma Therme hot water boiler is designed for the blown air trunking to pass through it thus giving a bonus to the water heating.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:46 pm

I've always thought that by the time the warm air reaches the centre of the Therme boiler it's so cool it makes little difference, if any to the water heating. Indeed I suspect that when the water is up to temp., it actually passes some warmth to the air in the trunking, rather than the other way around.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:15 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: steamdrivenandy wrote in post #5
If they only mean you to run it at '3' and 'auto', why on earth bother with other settings for both the element and the fan? So other alternatives are available.
The Trumavent's auto setting, (marked 'A' on the switch) allows the fan's speed to track the heater's output - the fan speeds up as the gas heater, or electric element, gets hotter.

The advantage of the auto setting is that the caravan isn't blasted with cold air on initial switch on and during subsequent cycling of the heater's thermostat.
In auto mode the dial is used to select the fan's maximum speed.

Also, without fan assistance the electric element's life is reduced as it will run hotter.

The Ultraheat's 3 output settings, (500W, 1000W & 2000W) are primarily intended so the heater can still be used with low current hook-up bollards without causing them to trip due to overloading.

Last edited Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:20 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:37 am

I have become a little confused by the replies. The water is to be heated by a system which works on gas or electricity and I believe is separate from the gas convector designed to heat the van. I would still appreciate further thoughts on if the gas heater for the van will be adequate without the blown air option. Can any other folks assist ?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:02 am
by eribaMotters | 5.302 Posts

I owned a 552 Troll for two years. Apart from testing at the start of each season I only used the gas heater once. Frost was due that night so I left he heater on its lowest setting when I went to bed. I had to turn it off soon after. I was not using the blown air side but I believe it is of use as it gives a more even temperature around the van.
If I was ordering a new Troll and planned to spend time winter camping I would give it consideration.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:48 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: robert wilson wrote in post #9
I would still appreciate further thoughts on if the gas heater for the van will be adequate without the blown air option. Can any other folks assist ?
The hot water heater is a red herring.

For what it's worth, we've found that the gas heater in our Troll is more than adequate by itself. We've really only used the blown air thing a couple of times, and one of those was just to see what it did.

There are too many variables to say categorically that you should or shouldn't have it.

If you're the kind of peeps who get cold easily and have the central heating at home set to come on if it dips even a whisker below 72°, get it.

If you're happy to put a sweater on instead, I'd be inclined not to bother.

To put it in context, the heater is warming up a space barely half the size of your average living room at home.

I shouldn't really say this, but I will anyway - I can't help feeling that people sometimes overthink this whole heating issue.

If you really want home comforts - including being able to paddle around in your pyjamas in the middle of winter - then maybe you shouldn't be in a tin snail at all.

If you're cold, put some more clothes on or do something to warm yourselves up. You could try a game of Twister, for example.

Either option is much cheaper, and there's no danger of either blowing yourselves to smithereens in a large explosion or plunging everybody else into darkness by tripping the site hook-up.

, , Eribanut and like this post!
Last edited Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:04 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:32 am
by jobberwock (deleted)

I agree and some of our best times have been in a caravan in winter with no heating at all...just body heat to keep you warm....
...but then we were a little bit younger and had a greater inclination towards other ways of keeping warm and it wasn't a warm cup of cocoa

Cheers Ian

Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:47 am

I think I will leave things as they stand and just do with the gas heater which I know works well in a Triton and after all the Troll isn't that much bigger. All that blown air business sounds like one more thing to go wrong and really not that necessary. Thanks all for your input.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:33 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

I have a Familia 320, with the Ultraheat element without the blown air. We had it transferred from our previous Familia into our recent one so it is now seven years old. We tend d to use this as our main heating and find it sufficient in such a small space, the gas is used briefly to blast the van and then the element is turned on...

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:57 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

We had Truma blown air in our MH. Hated it - after about 30 mins you'd wind up with a sore throat from the dry air and a horrid taste in the mouth....never again!

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 35 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12518 topics and 105613 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1