Towing speed limits - France

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:01 pm
by dave (deleted)

Hi,
Can someone give a definitive answer on the speed limit for towing in France. I have a LR Discovery 2570KG towing a Troll 540 MTPLM 1400KG. Discovery GTW is 6810KG. Therefore I am over the 3.5 Ton.
The new speed limits are confusing for towing - many thanks, heading to France next week.
Dave.

Scroll up

RE: Towing speed limits - France

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:42 pm
by Randa france | 12.870 Posts

Hi Dave and welcome to Eribafolk.

As far as I am aware the 80kph restriction on vehicles with the capacity to tow caravans making the total train weight of over 3.5 tonnes remains the same which is officially a max of 80kph, even on motorways. That means that officially even if you tow a van which is 800kg you'd still be restricted to 80 kph as your tow vehicle is capable of towing more.

For vehicles with a train weight of below 3.5 tonnes, then it's 130 kph on dry motorways and dual carriageways (110kph in the wet) unless otherwise indicated.
On all other roads it has been restricted to a maximum of 80 kph unless otherwise indicated.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:55 pm
by dave (deleted)

Hi Randa,
Many thanks. That is helpful. I struggled to find anything on the net with many conflicting speeds given.
Cheers
Dave.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:34 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Just a little precision
The motorway limit with a caravan is 100kms. A caravan is limited at 100, although there is no special speed limit according to the code de la route.

10 En cas d'accident se produisant à une vitesse supérieure à 100 km/h, il faut compter sur une limitation des prestations d'assurance car les caravanes ne sont homologuées que pour une vitesse maximale de 100 km/h
http://escapade.evasion.free.fr/site/Pratique/Code.html

On a dual carriageway 100kms, although the speed limit is usually 110, often 90.
On a main road with no central barrier, 80kms, but often it's limited to 70......the limits change frequently so keep your eyes peeled!
Towns, 50 or 30.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:11 am
by Randa france | 12.870 Posts

Quote: Islay Corbel wrote in post #4
Just a little precision
The motorway limit with a caravan is 100kms. A caravan is limited at 100, although there is no special speed limit according to the code de la route.

10 En cas d'accident se produisant à une vitesse supérieure à 100 km/h, il faut compter sur une limitation des prestations d'assurance car les caravanes ne sont homologuées que pour une vitesse maximale de 100 km/h
http://escapade.evasion.free.fr/site/Pratique/Code.html

Well I didn't know that. A bit of a sneaky move eh? One question that has always worried me is "in France can you tow a trailer or caravan in the third lane"?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:29 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

So, if I've understood correctly, it's 100kph max on autoroutes and 80kph max on all other roads.

Should save me some fuel

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:21 pm
by Skoderiba | 209 Posts

That sounds very much the same as in the UK.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:08 pm
by Bryn | 992 Posts

Unless it is a 50k road

Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 34 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105651 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5