Facebook v Forum

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:25 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

We have a load of followers on Facebook, asking the normal questions of new owners. I try to help out form time to time but also point out this forum for a much easier access to skills, knowledge and general help.
I wonder why forums are not used so much now and why the hundreds of passing folk on Facebook won't log on?

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Facebook v Forum

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:29 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

One reason is you can monitor multiple groups with one app.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:52 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

It is a bit odd isn't it Ray. The problem with facebook Groups, and there are many of them, is that the same old questions have to be asked over and over again because a new topic is only current for a few hours or so, especially on a busy group page like ours, before it disappears down the page.
I enjoy being active on the group page but like you, I'd much prefer to use the forum. We are fortunate in as much as there are many of our facebook users who use both the group page and this forum. (sadly not many on Flickr however https://www.flickr.com/groups/eriba/pool/ ). Also by surfing the various Facebook Eriba pages we can find loads of fresh new information and pics to spice up our Forum and facebook group.

In truth, I am only a facebook member because I needed to join to start the Eribafolk Facebook Group along with Frantone, which we thought was a brilliant way of promoting the Eribafolk name and it has proved to do so for the past five years.I don't use facebook as a chat line etc.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:57 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:15 pm
by Eribacamper | 111 Posts

I never understood forums in the past until we got our Eriba and looked for a group to join through FB and discovered Eribafolk forum. I'm now addicted to the forum and log into it every day. It feels more "personal" being part of a forum.

Deb & SteveH. Toyota Hilux and Winnie the Troll 550

Williebraveheart likes this post!
Last edited Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:24 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:27 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

I'm glad that i'm not the only one that has noticed this. It almost makes me want to tear what hair is left out when the same question is asked time after time.
The answer is invariably on the Forum and I have posted that once or twice. It's like having a set of encyclopedias but being too lazy to open them ! Rant over

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.

Pepé Le Pew and like this post!
Last edited Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:27 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:19 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I’m not sure that it’s laziness. More a fact of modern life that Facebook is a vehicle for short sharp statements and questions. Clearly many thousands of people live out their lives on FB. On one occasion we found out about a close relative’s hospitalisation only through a Facebook post. The younger generation may think that all their ‘friends’ are members so are neglecting to connect with us through the older channels.
Another issue may be that forums are seen as clubs and are therefore potentially more intimidating.
Whatever the reasons our Facebook group is huge and growing and we continually direct people here from it.

ps acceptance is not automatic otherwise we could be swamped with undesirables😇
Applicants are expected to show some interest in Eribas!

Eriba #5. Triton 420 GT gently nudging Ford Galaxy.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:24 pm
by Clippie (deleted)

So, in reality, there are some fundamental questions to be asked. Why was the FB group started? If it was a communications tool to enhance forum members ability to communicate, then settings should be set so that access to the group is private and only obtainable to those who are on the forum. If there are other reasons then there are other levels of settings that give control over who has access to the FB pages. What I am saying, in essence, is that the persons who created the page and those who have administrator rights on the page have the ability to set who can see the FB pages. It does not have to be a free for all, as Frantone has indicated above.

If on the other hand, if it is a way of exposing the presence of the forum so to increase the forum membership than maybe there should be other incentives for those who find their way to the FB pages to move on and join the forum.

Unfortunately, modern-day life, in my opinion, and please accept the fact that it is my opinion, everybody wants instant access to what they want and they want it now!! This means people don't want to sign on to other application when all they want is a 30-second pictorial fix. Writing words is time-consuming and not 'in-vogue' all that is wanted is loads of pictures for people to look at that will quickly give an answer to whatever the problem is.

Again, in my opinion, FB pages are for those who have a passing interest in their busy lives, the real enthusiast will take time and make the effort to contribute to the forum and find out what others think and how that might benefit them.

Sorry if I am being a little blunt, as I have said it is just my opinion.

Clippie

Gofer for 2014 Triton 420 GT & Landrover Discovery Sport.

Williebraveheart likes this post!
Last edited Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:47 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:44 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

Don't do Facebook. Never have, looked at it once with one of my daughters and thought No, no, not happening. I'm a dinosaur, sure, I accept that. I like this Forum, people on line are really helpful and friendly and if you do meet them so far they have all been lovely people. So I'm stopping here.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
mr_underhill, marmite and PooleDweller like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:45 pm
by Clippie (deleted)

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #6
The younger generation may think that all their ‘friends’ are members so are neglecting to connect with us through the older channels

The younger generation no longer sees FB as fashionable, to them, it is all Instagram and snapchat or even if I dare mention it Twitter. I think my daughter would advocate that FB is for the oldies!

I read an article in one of the leading papers recently that holidays are decided upon their Instangramability!! Not whether the person wants to go there but how it will look on their Instagram account!

God, I am getting to be a real old fart - maybe this thread should be under a new forum heading of Grumpy old Eribarists!

Clippie

Gofer for 2014 Triton 420 GT & Landrover Discovery Sport.
mr_underhill, and Eribanut like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:10 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

I think this thread has answered it's own question.

I wonder what the average age of the forum members is vs that of the FB group members.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:13 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

I'm with Julie with regards to facebook. One of our nephews and his wife who live in the USA have nagged me to join facebook so that we can exchange news and photos etc . When I looked at facebook with a view to registering they needed a photo image in order to complete registration. Now being a highly private individual who tries her hardest to protect what privacy I have got left in this camera obsessed world I did not proceed any further. (I was so strict that none of my children appeared in any publicly available school photos - I reasoned that they could decide for themselves when old enough to make up their own mind) So nephew and family will have to remain with email and snail mail.

Luddite moi? - you bet

Denise

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:35 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Zitat
Quote Clippie:- Why was the FB group started?

As I said in #3 above, the reason we started Eribafolk Facebook was to promote the Eribafolk name at a time when we couldn't afford to advertise it.

As far as I'm concerned, Eribafolk Facebook and this Forum still complement one other and both are very buoyant, extremely active and growing in membership because we are able to share a lot of information with and from the many other Eriba Groups on Facebook.

I would agree that the demography of Eribafolk facebook is probably half a generation or so younger than the Forum and many of our facebook members own older classic Eribas, many of them tugged by VW Campervans. but that's good isn't it?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

mr_underhill likes this post!
Last edited Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:12 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:05 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

All Eriba's are good, all Eriba people are good therefore Eribafolk is good wherever it is, here or FB

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:34 am
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I was a member of the Autosleeper forum and it ran a FB group in tandem, just like Eribafolk. The owners of the sites (enthusiasts not Autosleeper) decided to close the forum and carry on with just the FB group. They said that closing the forum would reduce their workload dramatically. There was
uproar from quite a few forum members who refused to transfer, although there were already quite a few members with dual membership.

Although I'm 'on' Facebook I don't use it as I don't understand the terminologies used, it keeps on wanting me to sign my life away and seems overly intrusive, though I understand that is what most users seem to like.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.

likes this post!
Last edited Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:35 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:04 am
by Seren (deleted)

Re Facebook, the photos I have as main profile are of a tiger and a sunset and all my settings are private so my profile doesn't even come up in a Google search. I'm a Luddite too, but it's an easy way of chatting to family every day and exchanging things via private messaging. Even then I never post any personal information or photos on my actual page. If anyone says the 'must friend me on FB' I'm a bit vague about it and then they can't find my profile anyway lol.

Last edited Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:13 am | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 31 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105770 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1