Eriba Troll 540 2018 Poorly Fitting Pop Top/Roof

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:47 pm
by Laurence&Biddy (deleted)

Hello. We wanted to enquire from other owners if anyone has experienced problems with the pop top roof seals/roof not fitting properly? Despite new larger seal fitted and pop top corners/edges machined off rainwater continued to leak between the seal and the roof . When caravan was maneaouvered water entered through the canvas soaking seats, etc. Dealer has bought back our lovely Eriba, we’re considering buying another one but wondered if this was a recurring problem or were we just unlucky? Laurence and Biddy

Scroll up

RE: Eriba Troll 540 2018 Poorly Fitting Pop Top/Roof

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:47 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Hi Laurence and Biddy and welcome to Eribafolk.

I'm sure someone with the new shape Eriba will say something later but can I point out that the gasket around the edge of the pop top is not a seal. It's only purpose is to protect the roof from the pop top raw edge. In saying that however they are quite a snug fit.

There has been some concern in the past with the lock down handles on newer vans not doing the job properly so when you travel along the pop top lifts up slightly giving a big smile. I thought nowadays however these handles had some sort of turn screw locking device on them?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:47 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:45 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I think the newer roof shape is much more ‘sealed’ to the roof than previous models. The front, in particular, would have a tendency to lift which may be why the lock downs have the extra screw mechanism. The trim certainly appears different with an extra soft lip.

Eriba #5. Triton 420 GT gently nudging Ford Galaxy.
Tomored and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:00 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Hi and Laurence & Biddy
Tom & Margaret

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:39 am
by granddadgrape | 1.560 Posts

Liz & Alan
Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:42 am

Zitat
Quote Frantone:- I think the newer roof shape is much more ‘sealed’ to the roof than previous models. The front, in particular, would have a tendency to lift which may be why the lock downs have the extra screw mechanism. The trim certainly appears different with an extra soft lip.

Are the roof shapes the same since the big change in or around 2010? We've not heard of a lot of problems since that change but the introduction of additional support for the front lock downs starts to stink of design oversight.

I wonder if it only affects badly moulded roofs? I think you had a problem with the roof shape on your 2013 Troll didn't you Tony? Did yours have additional screw mechanisms or were they introduced later.

General question. How many folk with newer vans have experienced roof problems?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:46 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:57 am
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: Laurence&Biddy wrote in post #1
Hello. We wanted to enquire from other owners if anyone has experienced problems with the pop top roof seals/roof not fitting properly? Despite new larger seal fitted and pop top corners/edges machined off rainwater continued to leak between the seal and the roof . When caravan was maneaouvered water entered through the canvas soaking seats, etc. Dealer has bought back our lovely Eriba, we’re considering buying another one but wondered if this was a recurring problem or were we just unlucky? Laurence and Biddy
You may have just been unlucky, we have a 2018 model Troll purchased at the end of 2017; absolutely no problems with the roof although I always make sure the hand-screws on the front lock-downs are done up before travelling...

Last edited Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:58 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:35 am
by gattim (deleted)

We owned a 2013 Troll 530 for two years and never experienced this sort of problem, the hand-screws were always tightened when travelling but I don’t believe they made much difference to the tightness of the fit of the seal to the roof. We did have to make sure the canvas was pulled in to the caravan to be free of the pop top when it was pulled down

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:04 am
by Eribacamper | 111 Posts

I have a 2016 Troll 550 and have noticed that when the roof is down and locked you can still lift the roof about 1cm. No problem with water ingress though.

Deb & SteveH. Toyota Hilux and Winnie the Troll 550
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:30 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Roger, our 2013 Troll had no noticeable roof problems but we were advised by AL that it was to be replaced under warranty. The reason given was a rather vague statement about incorrect storage during manufacture.
The replaced roof was different internally in that the ‘ceiling’ was a one piece section whereas the original was in 3 sections.
It had screw fittings from new.

Eriba #5. Triton 420 GT gently nudging Ford Galaxy.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:33 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I suspect that if the roof was clipped down so tight that it couldn't move there'd be probs with broken or damaged clips or other more expensive parts. It needs to have some flexibility as the body flexes whilst travelling. However a distorted roof edge will never seal properly.

It's a bit like gas cylinder seals, they should on be 'pinched' up so that the flexible washer seals. Constant overtightening leads to the rubber washer degrading and a good seal then becomes impossible.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:17 pm
by Laurence&Biddy (deleted)

Thank you for all your responses. It seems we were very unlucky with our Eriba; reluctantly we have decided “once bitten twice shy” and are now looking at other options. Laurence and Biddy

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:21 pm

May we ask, when the dealer/manufacturer couldn't resolve the problem, did they but it back without any financial loss to you?

Also I worry that they may have sold it on to some other unsuspecting buyer

Randa

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4