Isabella sun canopy side panel

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:59 am
by Kam | 139 Posts

I have an Isabella sun canopy which I love - I don't think I have the required level of patience for a full awning.

I am thinking of buying the Isabella side panel but have a couple of questions. Does anyone know:

Will the side be too long for the sun canopy if used on a 2006 Troll. All the online pictures show it on much taller caravans where the canopy is at an angle. On my Eriba it's virtually perpendicular to the caravan side so I'm wondering if it'll hang correctly on an Eriba and will it trail onto the ground.

The side panel seems to come with a pole which I'm assuming gives the whole set-up a bit more rigidity. Is there only one pole provided? If so will this make the canopy a bit lop-sided?

Also, why is it so expensive? I know some people have made home-made side panels. What did you use for a pole?

Thanks.

Scroll up

RE: Isabella sun canopy side panel

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:19 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

You can fit a side panel but you would need to adapt the top due to the height issue. You would need to be good with a sewing machine or take it to an awning company or sailmaker.
High cost is down to number they sell being low.
If you are after something to use in inclement weather that is not to much of a faff and stops weather coming in the side you could look at the Sunncamp Swift. Sunncamp Swift Van Canopy 260 (2)

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:22 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:22 pm
by Randa france | 12.861 Posts

Hi Kam. I can't answer the question regarding the Isabella produced side panel but like you we were worried about it.

Therefore we decided to make our own using waterproof garden furniture material. It's just a rectangle after all. At the top of the recatangle we sewed in wide "belt loops" so that the pole could be threaded through it.

The pole? As always, we put our trust in a Wilko line prop https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-extend...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds (no surprise there ) and added a large cup hook at the bottom which hooks into the awning eaves fixing bracket.
At the other end we left the plastic hook that came with the pole and fashioned a loop to loop over the corner pole of the Isabella. There could be some improvements to this as there is a bit of a gap between side and roof which is good of course, to prevent wind damage.

( "we" as always is meant in the royal sense of the word ).

simg_5433.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
and like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:15 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

Thanks Colin and Randa.

Colin, as good as the Sunncamp looks, my wife will call it an awning and veto it - she has a thing about awnings whereas I secretly want one!

Randa, yours looks amazingly professional - even the colours match the original. I'll have a look in Wilco. Where did you get the fabric and the ends for the pole from?

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:11 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

[quote="Randa france"|p65176]Hi Kam. I can't answer the question regarding the Isabella produced side panel but like you we were worried about it.

Therefore we decided to make our own using waterproof garden furniture material. It's just a rectangle after all. At the top of the recatangle we sewed in wide "belt loops" so that the pole could be threaded through it.

The pole? As always, we put our trust in a Wilko line prop https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-extend...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds (no surprise there ) and added a large cup hook at the bottom which hooks into the awning eaves fixing bracket.
At the other end we left the plastic hook that came with the pole and fashioned a loop to loop over the corner pole of the Isabella. There could be some improvements to this as there is a bit of a gap between side and roof which is good of course, to prevent wind damage.]

Or damage caused by drunken idiots at Eriba Eurofests.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.

Last edited Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:15 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:46 pm
by Randa france | 12.861 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Found any amount of waterproof fabric on Ebay. It's used as outside chair cushion covers etc. The additional hook is just a large cup hook out of our shed but I daresay Wilkos will have them.

The colour doesn't match the top that well but we wanted the two tone effect and the lighter fabric will roll up and tie back to create a short side if necessary.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:53 pm
by Soulbluesman (deleted)

Randa you are a man after my own heart but far more skilled!!!!!

When Kath and I took up tent camping in our 50s after a very long gap we bought a fabulous Outwell Bear Lake 4 which we loved. However it had a narrow canopy at the front which only worked to stop rain when there was no wind at all.

Needing somewhere to cook in the relative dry I conjured up all sorts of add-ons to extend this canopy to the floor. I used up all sorts of wind breaks mixed with lengths of canvas from previous tents I accept now that colour co-ordination was not one of my strong points. When each idea failed in some way (or Kath scornfully vetoed it) I went back to the drawing board and Stanley knife, filled with new plans.

Kath's despair ended when Outwell listened to its customers (how about that Hymer?) and produced a brilliant front extension that solved my cooking problems. However I did experience a certain sadness that my creativity had to turn to other things.

Your colour scheme looks OK but a length of 1960s bright orange Vango canvas at the top would have been inspired. it is a pity that Kath chucked photos of my past efforts so I can't share them with you. MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:20 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Or you can get the genuine ten cate from here, very good and fast service.

https://www.esvocampingshop.com/en/tent-canvas/polyester/
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:09 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I'm going to wait until the spring and then embark on this little project.

Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 70 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12512 topics and 105579 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6