Puck Awning Options...

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:25 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

Don't get me wrong, the Soplair awning that came with my Puck is very nice but unless I spend the winter redesigning the frame joint system I'm unlikely to use it much. Some of the fittings were broken when I got it and although I changed them with new they still started to give way over two nights.

So I just what to know what the current options there are my 1997 Puck.

I'm aware of the 2 awnings on offer from AL.

I have looked through the picture gallery but some are a year or two from the past. It has helped with ideas.

My first question is has anyone used the Kampa Pop Air Pro 260? It looks a little on the small side compared to the size of the Soplair.

Is there any give or take on the fitting of the Kampa Pop Air pro 290? I believe the width would fit the Puck but would the height difference be too much?

I have been tempted by the Vango Airhub Hexaway Low Drive Away Awning, again it states it is for rails at 180cm. It looks a big beast but I don't want to have a lonesome room for 1...

Air frames are looking best for my back but a well made frame would be considered if I don't need 6 pairs of hands to keep fittings together!

Scroll up

RE: Puck Awning Options...

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:55 am
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

Andy (mr_underhill) is the man you need to chat to Al. Like you, he's a lone traveller with a Puck and he seems to have cracked the problem with a Kampa air awning.

Here it is:- ssIMG_4192.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Big Al likes this post!
Last edited Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:55 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:26 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

Hopefully mr_underhill will see this. The photo suggests it is bigger than the 260 compared to the images by those selling it. Looking promising.

mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:30 pm
by Ralph79 | 162 Posts

Hi

We have a Kampa Pop Air Pro 260 and used it on various trips last year with our 1999 puck. Prior to that we had an ancient columbus awning (very similar to the soplair). We found the fit to be good. The height is no problem as the inflatable roof support raises the awning roof well above the awning rail and gives plenty of headroom. Whilst the depth of the awning is very slightly shorter than the old awning, in practice it is barely noticeable. The 260 is the only one designed for the puck 120, I believe that the 290 is designed for the familia or the puck L.

The main advantage is in the ease of erection (so to speak) and dismantling....far quicker and more straight forward than the columbus...no poles to faff about with. I was happy to use this for weekends, as well as longer trips. We did find that in heavy rain there was some water running down the sides of the van from the gutter ends, making the floor in those corners wet, however I am not sure that this problem is confined to the Kampa. We were told by others about attaching a cable tie to the gutter draining points to help the water run away from the van and that helped (We have not used the gutter strip and frankly I am not sure that using one would have made any difference).

On the whole we are very happy with the Kampa...I am however tempted to go for the new one out this year that allows for a sun canopy and bedroom annexe to be attached, although the cost of the extra's is quite high and whilst nice I am not sure the additional cost is justified for us.

Ralph

20180708_095820.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Big Al, Randa france and mr_underhill like this post!
Last edited Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:36 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:42 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

Thank you Ralph, some useful information there. I was looking at the new one, not for the annex but like the shade option. Haven't seen any others for sale yet.

Got a little dizzy looking at your photo as it enlarges up-side-down, nearly broke my monitor turning it around..!

Would you say it fits end to end body wise? mr_underhill's photo looks like it is right up and onto the corner shown.

Again thanks for your help.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:48 pm
by Ralph79 | 162 Posts

Yes it fits end to end....I think the 290 would be too big. Here's a side view that might help....sorry not sure what to do about the upsidedownness !

20180708_095755.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Big Al likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:06 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

Thanks for that, might just confirm what I'm looking for.

I've adding your last photo on here to get it right way up...

Screenshot 2018-11-07 at 15.02.59.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:24 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

IMG_1634.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Disregard the car in the awning ! Yes mine is a 260 and fits just shy of corner to corner. The ends wrap slightly around the corner.
As Roger said, I camp with the dog and provided it is put away correctly it is fairly easy to get the edge through the awning rail by yourself..
Unless it is raining ..then you ask anyone for help, we are all good folk...aren't we Roger !!

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
Big Al likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:49 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

Thanks. I wonder if I could get Matilda's rear end inside when it rains...

mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:55 pm
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

If you go the blow up awning, you will need the two awning rail stoppers to keep the awning tape in the right place.

Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kampa-Awning-...bDqlC:rk:2:pf:0

Andy

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:12 pm

Certainly not the kampa strip, but this is an alternative and does take the water away from the awning tape and only takes a minute to put on !

.IMG_0603.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:39 pm
by Ralph79 | 162 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Quote: mr_underhill wrote in post #10
If you go the blow up awning, you will need the two awning rail stoppers to keep the awning tape in the right place.

Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kampa-Awning-...bDqlC:rk:2:pf:0

Andy

Hi Andy

I didn't use these and had no problem with the awning tape moving when pegged down. While we had a fair amount of rain we didn't suffer the very severe winds that some did in storms this year. Is this the reason you use them?

Ralph

Last edited Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:39 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:52 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

Thanks Andy.

I'm tempted with this source, mainly because of the 0% interest offered. https://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/shop/pr...ning-2019-5180/ anyone know of a better price for the same Kampa Pop Air Pro 260?

Haven't seen anyone selling last year's model at a better price.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:53 am

Yes, they are prevention for the strong winds.

Ralph79 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 30 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105704 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1