Slight water ingress

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:38 am
by Taffy (deleted)

IMG_1399.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_1400.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Staying in the Eriba on the drive with the rain I just noticed a droplet of water on investigation it appears to be coming in from the window catch and filling the rubber seal. Any one experienced this and suggestion on what needs to be done. Definitely the catch as the block for the leaver is wet.

Scroll up

RE: Slight water ingress

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:11 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

Hi Taffy, just been out to look at my 2007 Triton and on my van it can't be the catch as it has no connection to outside. The catch is fixed to the inner part of the double glazed window, see pic.

IMG_20181006_130526758.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Is it leaking further up the seal and running down to the lowest point, which happens to be the catch?

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual

Last edited Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:13 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:55 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

After inspection, as you say the catches are sealed. Now the rain has stopped I have opened the window and found that the outer seal has water running along the crease and I think it is running to the catch then overspilling. I don't quiet under stand as the sides and top are all bone dry but it is the bottom outer seal and the inner bottom lip of the window. The window all the way up on sides and top is dry, but the bottom still has the water on it. Could it be a capillary action drawing the water up?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:59 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

Now that you can get the window open it will be worth inspecting the lip of the seal carefully. You should be able to feel any imperfections with your finger tips. Also check the window perspex at the point of contact with the seal, any debris in that area would stop a perfect seal.

Shutting the window with a leaf stem trapped would be sufficient to create a leak for example.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:57 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

check the seal of the awning rail to the roof - common point of failure as the sealant shrinks over time

Denise

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:26 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.452 Posts

Can second the awning rail as a possible culprit. Ours was coming away from the van at the corners and water came in down the side of the window. Apparently a bit of a fiddle removing the rail, resealing and refitting (JohnE did ours) but no water leak since.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:16 am
by Taffy (deleted)

It appears to be the very bottom of the window seal all the way along it at the foot of the window. Seal on sides and at top of window is fine and remains dry but the bottom inner lip was wet and the lip in the rubber had overflowed. Nothing coming in on the high points of the awning rail.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:29 am
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: Taffy wrote in post #1
Staying in the Eriba on the drive with the rain I just noticed a droplet of water on investigation it appears to be coming in from the window catch and filling the rubber seal. Any one experienced this and suggestion on what needs to be done. Definitely the catch as the block for the leaver is wet.

I get the same happening to our rear window in the Troll but only when it rains heavy and the window is in the breathe position. I suspect it has something to do with fittings of the cycle rack on the back of van channelling the rain somehow. If window tightly closed then no water seeps in.

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:17 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

It might be worth applying a smear of silicone lubricant to the window seals to prevent them sticking and keep them soft.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:38 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

Hi, thanks for all the great advice. When dry I checked the window and count see anything but gave the rubber seal a good clean with Thetford seal lubricant. With all the rain we have had last night I have been doing checks several times and it is bone dry. Don't know if a leaf or something had broken the rubber seal and fell out when opening in the dry but since the lubricant it is all OK again. Thanks everyone.

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 37 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12512 topics and 105572 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1