BT Scam

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:39 pm
by Randa france | 12.859 Posts

Today, the following happened to me, twice. All the responses to this question agreed it was a scam so beware.

Zitat
Phone calls regarding Internet being "compromised"
Go to solution
Today I took one phone call from a call centre in India and a second one with an American accented digitised voice saying that my Internet connection had been compromised. The second call which was from phone number 01246 384 682 said that my Internet connection "was going to be cut off within the next 24 to 48 hours".

Are these calls genuine or not?

Please advise.

In my case, they wished for me to log into my computer so that they could prove that they were genuine. Yea, yea,

BT say that any internet connection faults are not logged by them, they rely on us to tell them.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Eribanut likes this post!
Last edited Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:41 pm | Scroll up

RE: BT Scam

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:26 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.295 Posts

I received the same call whilst up a ladder wiring outside lights in the wind. I hung up and in hindsight am surprised I was polite .

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:52 pm

Had three now and the last one woke the baby before they rang off just as I was going to tell them where I was going to ram my receiver . The line number is from NI but the accent is distinctly Indo/irish.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:16 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Check out the website called ‘who called me’ it lists lots of the current scam numbers.

https://who-called.co.uk/

TonyP

Eriba #5. Triton 420 GT gently nudging Ford Galaxy.

Last edited Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:17 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:15 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #1
Today, the following happened to me, twice. All the responses to this question agreed it was a scam so beware.

Zitat
Phone calls regarding Internet being "compromised"
Go to solution
Today I took one phone call from a call centre in India and a second one with an American accented digitised voice saying that my Internet connection had been compromised. The second call which was from phone number 01246 384 682 said that my Internet connection "was going to be cut off within the next 24 to 48 hours".

Are these calls genuine or not?

Please advise.

In my case, they wished for me to log into my computer so that they could prove that they were genuine. Yea, yea,

BT say that any internet connection faults are not logged by them, they rely on us to tell them.

Randa

We leave our answer phone on 24/7 and only answer if we know the number. 9 times out of 10 they hang up !

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:40 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.452 Posts

Ditto to the answerphone, it works.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:35 am

Someone else having a go today. Mrs R answered very quickly to a shocked caller who spoke in a foreign language for about 30 seconds before putting the phone down. We traced it as a Hampshire number reserved for somewhere in India but looking up this scam, they evidently call, often at night and ring off quickly. Many folk, thinking it must be an emergency, ring the number back and get charged a horrendous bill for doing so. Apparently they even leave messages on the answer phone.

What I can't understand is why us all of a sudden? Our land line is hardly ever used, so much so, that it was out of order recently for three weeks until we discovered it.

Randa

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:39 am
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I solved these nuisance calls by having my landline removed a few months ago. Mobile with the right package much cheaper.

Triton 420 GT 2008. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:20 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

"Mobile with the right package much cheaper"

I agree if you're a light internet user. If you stream TV or films, a landline is cheaper at today's prices.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:00 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:05 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: Williebraveheart wrote in post #8
I solved these nuisance calls by having my landline removed a few months ago. Mobile with the right package much cheaper.

We live in the "Bermudan Triangle" of mobile networks i.e. lost signal

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:43 pm
by Doug Dickson (deleted)

Hullo! I am calling from Microsoft Technical department, you have a serious fault ..

Oh! How awful, what shall I do?

Please turn on your computer and I will tell you what to do.....

Now, where is the on/off switch? Ah! There, it's warming up nicely, what's next?

Please type the following into the search bar...ksd-b-lkjsd-bvfbg-lkg-etc and press return.

Should I set it to 'Chicken' of 'Fish', and for how long?

I beg your pardon, Sir?

Which programme should I use?

I don't understand, this is the Microsoft Technical department...

I'm glad you called, I keep boiling over my milk, it makes an awful mess, don't you know......

CLICK..

Great Fun!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:30 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:31 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

When we moved, we packaged our existing Vodafone mobile contract (8gb data), with unlimited broadband which uses the BT landline, the cost of which is absorbed by Vodafone, leaving us paying £35 a month. BT would be £50 a month for landline plus broadband. It was a no brainier for us. We can plug a phone in if we wanted but haven't bothered as we get good mobile signal here.

Triton 420 towed by Volvo S40 drive
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:56 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

I use plusnet for broadband only. For calls they charge a minimum of £0.135 per minute plus a connection charge of £0.22
I have a 'home' mobile on 1pmobile which I use for all calls. £0.01 per minute with no connection charge and no contract. I think it's probably the best rate for most low users. High users can benefit from a contract and ultra low users could use Three's 123 tariff.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:44 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

were told to ring action fraud, and report. scams.
but most importantly don't give any info to the scammer and end the call asap.

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12510 topics and 105561 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0