Up on its 4 legs? Or not?

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:42 pm
by andrew kennedy (deleted)

I will be in Spain later in the year, on one campsite, it will be very HOT. I can cover the wheels or better still TAKE THEM OFF - I am wondering if it would be 'in order' for two people to live in Troll for a couple of months without the wheels on with the caravan standing on its 4 legs?!?!? Any thoughts gratefully received.

Scroll up

RE: Up on its 4 legs? Or not?

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:04 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

Please don't do that. The legs are NOT designed to take the weight of the van. The weight goes through the axle and then the wheel.s whilst the corner legs, steadies, do just that. They steady/balance the van.
You could jack the van up and set the axle on stands, something many owners do over the long winter lay-up.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Steve and Debbie, Randa france and eribanaut like this post!
Last edited Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:04 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:08 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

Leave the wheels on, you can always move the van a few inches if your worried about tyre "memory". No different from touring for 2 months!

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:13 pm
by Derekcbr (deleted)

If you really want to take your wheels off then you need to support your van on axle stands otherwise the advice given is correct. Never use the van’s steadies for supporting the weight of the van. They are stabilisers only. Enjoy your hols

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:12 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

When in Spain, do as the Spaniards do.

If you see one local caravan with its wheels removed, I'll eat my sombrero.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:58 am
by Randa france | 12.864 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #5
If you see one local caravan with its wheels removed, I'll eat my sombrero.

With a little of the salsa sauce Hombre?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:16 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

No, no, no. Please do not leave your Troll supported only by the legs. It would be sensible to cover the wheels to protect the tyres from UV but heat is irrelevant.

Stewart

Triton 420 GT 2008. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:19 pm
by sibillini | 236 Posts

With regard to heat, it would depend on how much time you plan to spend annually in a hot climate. We lost two tyres last spring within a 100 km of each other though the identical failure of the steel belts, not fun at all. The tyre workshop reckoned it was due to heat, protecting against UV was not enough.

Elsie behaved impeccably, but I now reckon I have the most expensive Eriba tyres in Europe.

To clarify, the tyres were of a reputable make, protected against UV, 4 years old and Elsie spends roughly 6 months of the year in Italy.

Just sayin.

C

2002 Eriba Troll 540 (Elsie) + Honda CRV 2.2 diesel

"A country is considered the more civilised the more the wisdom and efficiency of its laws hinder a weak man from becoming too weak, and a powerful one becoming too powerful" Primo Levi

Last edited Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:20 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:23 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Can someone contact our lovely eriba friends in Spain to ask them what they do? Roger?

Last edited Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:23 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:33 am

The admin. team for the Spanish Forum are members of Eribafolk. I will add a thread asking about wheels and tyres to thier forum however.

In our case we've never bothered although we do cover our non-sunshade wheel on all occasions but that is more to protect the wheel lock than anything else.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:26 pm

Well, this is what our Spanish friends think:- https://eribas.mforos.com/

Jamsa 2
Administrator

I think that covering the wheels is enough, that is, not to give them the sun.

I was never in the same place for a month in the sun, but I never saw caravans without wheels in a caravan, covered and protected from the sun if he had seen many.
....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

eco16

Roger, there is no problem with high temperatures, the wheels, withstand the heat well, what most deteriorates are the sun's rays along with the dryness.

As Jamsa tells you it is good to cover them but by the sun, another thing is that with the temperature the air pressure usually rises somewhat in the interior, so it is interesting before starting up, adjust the pressure to the value indicated by the maker.

A greeting.
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Randa

Doonhamer likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 17 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105589 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3