SIBIR fridge

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:48 pm
by nick13 (deleted)

I am the recent proud owner of my first ever caravan, a 1973 Pan Familia, bought just before xmas. It's currently stored under a cover for the winter but I'm looking at overhauling the electrical wiring and checking the gas pipes to ensure all is OK before taking it out in the Spring.

The van has a SIBIR W60 Kombi 3 way fridge which looks like it might be the original unit (!). It appears to work on 220V (it doesn't seem to have a 12V function) but I've yet to try it on gas as I need to fit a new regulator and level the van first.

I understand there is often an art to getting a fridge to light up and function properly on gas, so I wonder if anyone with experience can give me any tips. For a starters, I wonder why the van needs to be level for it to work? Is this also true in electric mode? Does anyone know about these SIBIR models? Are they a valued collectors item or are they likely to be a pain in the backside and better to replace with something more recent?

Any comments welcome. Many thanks. NIck

Scroll up

RE: SIBIR fridge

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:54 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

nick13,
I can't answer all of your questions exactly but can help with a general fridge opinion/myth.

Most fridges, up until recently, were gas absorption fridges. They work by heating a gas/liquid mixture which then travels through various bits of pipework and then thanks to the laws of thermodynamics sucks warmth out of your fridge and cooling it down.

Two things are definitely true.
1. The fridge needs to be relatively level for the gas/liquid combination to travel properly through the pipework, irrespective of the heating source.

2. The fridge works by heating the gas/liquid combination in a boiler. The heat source can be a gas jet, a 230Vac element or a 12Vdc element. It doesn't matter how the heat is produced for the boiler. If the fridge works on 230Vac it should also work on a gas flame. providing the gas jet is clean and unobstructed.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:48 pm
by nick13 (deleted)

Thanks Ray for this info. I wasn't sure if the levelling requirement was due to something to do with the gas burner.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:33 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: nick13 wrote in post #3
Thanks Ray for this info. I wasn't sure if the levelling requirement was due to something to do with the gas burner.
Not sure if it is OEM but a few tips. Yes it needs to be level to work either on gas or electric. The 12v is only when you are towing with the appropriate electrical connections in you case would say two plugs 6 & 7 pin. The art to firing up on gas is to turn on gas at cylinder and stop valve and get gas to flow thru system is turn on hob.

If its a 3 way system it should operate on 12vDC however not from an internal battery but via your cars system when towing. If it was to run from internal battery it would be drained within a short time.

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:30 pm
by James Price (deleted)

Sibir 3 way fridges were fitted to the Lunar Clubman range in 1977. The company is based in Switzerland and is still manufacturing fridges for medical and household uses. Not sure about leisure. www.sibirgroup.de

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1