water ingress - and warranties... advice please?

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:20 pm
by Wonkeywifey (deleted)

Hello there,

I usually post on the FB group but have had a bit of a saga this week and would value some advice from long term Eriba owners.

We purchased a new Eriba Troll 535 late summer last year. Not long after, they were recalled, to have all the window seals replaced, as apparently there had been an issue with them leaking. We hadn't had any problems, despite a VERY wet two weeks in Scotland prior to their replacement.

The seals were replaced mid October, four months ago. This week is the first time we have used her since then - she has been stored at Lowdhams in their outdoor secure compound. We have checked her occasionally, and not noted anything (not been and checked in the pouring rain though). I should add, that we leave the bed made up, so as we have just found out, any water running in the windows is soaked up beautifully by our memory foam mattress...

So this week, we went to Derbyshire. It peed it down relentlessly for much of it, and we woke up to a soggy mattress and bedding, and water literally pouring in the rear large window. We were having to catch it with cereal bowls. Having felt around the window, the seal simply doesn't seal. You can fit your fingers between the seal and the window when its completely closed (can't do this with the others, they are a tight seal).

She is now in Lowdhams service area, under cover. From their point of view they seem to think all they need to do is replace the seal. However we have sat and watched while the water has poured down, soaked under the inner rubber seals, and into the walls. Both of us are concerned about the degree of water ingress over the last four months, and the issue of damage and damp to the walls, which may not become apparent immediately. It also soaked the seating. The van is still under warranty.

Any thoughts? Another person said to me today that we are within our rights to request a replacement in these circumstances. I dont want this to have caused problems which dont become apparent until the warranty has expired.... they have said they will check for damp. Its in their interests to say they dont find any..!

Any thoughts, or experiences with damp or similar, we would be most grateful,

thanks
Lynda

Scroll up

RE: water ingress - and warranties... advice please?

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:09 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Ask Lowdhams to carry out a damp test to ensure the walls are not holding any water, they should provide you with the test sheet with the damp values. If it is damp they will have sort them out under the warranty..

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:28 pm
by Wonkeywifey (deleted)

Cheers Poptop. I guess that I’m rather skeptical of any damp test result of that end wall which they provide me with, as it’s their crap workmanship that has caused this. Thus it’s in their interests for their to be no damp... will see what happens I guess.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:29 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Wonkeywifey wrote in post #3
Cheers Poptop. I guess that I’m rather skeptical of any damp test result of that end wall which they provide me with, as it’s their crap workmanship that has caused this. Thus it’s in their interests for their to be no damp... will see what happens I guess.
I think it's vital to check for any cosmetic damage caused by the water ingress, no matter how small. There may be discolouring or surface distortion in the wallboard panels, for instance.

It's absolutely essential that Lowdhams return your van to the condition it was in before they made such a complete Horlicks of the recall operation.

Go over it with a fine-toothed comb - it'd be difficult to prove that anything you find later was a consequence of their ineptitude.

Steve and Debbie, Randa france and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:51 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

I think that what I would do in your circumstance is to go elsewhere for an independent damp test and present Lowdhams with any adverse findings.
Any firm that does habitation services can do this for you. Any operative of the MCEA group of mobile engineers could do this for you.

https://www.mobilecaravanengineers.co.uk/find-an-engineer/

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
rs540, and PooleDweller like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:19 pm
by Bigmig0 (deleted)

Hello there,
My 2017 Troll 530gt is currently in at lowdhams in huddersfield. Its had the window seal recall work but I've not checked that yet. what i can say is i am far from happy with the level of service i'm receiving. For instance, a 5 month wait and still waiting for a water pump part which Hymer say they have in stock and other work that when checked has not been carried out!!!!
Tom

Troll 530 GT - VW Transporter Kombi 4motion https://files.homepagemodules.de/b614104...1a63fd-3912.jpg
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:17 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

My 2017 van is also at Lowdhams, but in Nottingham. It has gone in for service, window seals, gel coat repair to roof and a front running light cowling/moulding . I sent them photos of the part 5 months ago. Guess what, they've got the wrong part so asked if I could collect the van a week later than expected. As I'll have no towcar I said no. This cock up has cost them a 300 mile return trip to get my van back to me on Merseyside. I'm not moaning though as it's saved me £30 in fuel and a day of driving.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Poptop320 and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:36 am
by Wonkeywifey (deleted)

Thanks - I guess Im just unsure how long it takes for damp to show? Im worried that it won't show up until later, and then they will say its nothing to do with their botch job leaking window..

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:37 am
by Wonkeywifey (deleted)

Thank you Tomored, that's really helpful - I have looked them up and there's someone in Nottingham. I will wait and see what Lowdhams say, but think getting an independent test is probably the only way to put our minds at rest.

Lynda

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:39 am
by Wonkeywifey (deleted)

Hi Tom,

If your van is outside, after our experience, I would really urge you to check your window seals. When our rear window is closed, the gap between the seal and the window is big enough to fit your fingers in! All the other windows seal tightly against the window.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing such frustrating service from them - I do wonder if its worth feeding back dealership issues to Hymer...

Lynda

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:41 am
by Wonkeywifey (deleted)

Oh dear Colin :/ has the work they have done been of a decent standard?

Lynda

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:07 am
by Bigmig0 (deleted)

Thank you for the advice Lynda
Tom

Troll 530 GT - VW Transporter Kombi 4motion with Exploria-on-Line conversion. still have the CombiCamp Valley.
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1