Buying eriba abroad

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:43 pm
by bevill (deleted)

If we venture abroad to buy our Pontos - we've found one in Spain -is there anything we should know or require re. paperwork etc.? We think we should go before end of March!!
You are all so very helpful - thank you.
Bevill

Scroll up

RE: Buying eriba abroad

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:43 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

As you are buying a second hand Eriba then in theory you only have to change the lighting to comply with UK regs.This you could do on return to UK.
Otherwise you buy it get receipt for payment and tow it home, suggest you do it before 29th March tho' !.

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

likes this post!
Last edited Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:50 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:10 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

I would advise getting the chassis/vin number so that you can set up insurance. Also read the small print of your European breakdown cover. The norm is your car will be covered and if a caravan is attached at the time the car breaks down it will also be recovered. If the problem lies with the caravan then you are normally out of luck. If you are a member of the C&MC the clubs Red Pennant covers the van as an individual item but is expensive. If you get the cover and run it over a holiday instead of a pick-up then it would make financial sense.
Don't forget if travelling through France and into Spain then you need original documents of car V5 along with proof of insurance and MOT. Spare bulbs, warning triangle, high vis vest for all vehicle occupants [kept within reach in car] and first aid kit are all required. For France you are supposed to carry 2 x breathalyser testers, but this is not enforceable. Remember to turn of your sat-nav speed camera warnings in France. A number plate and towing mirrors go without saying

I think that's most things covered.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
eribanaut, and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:01 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Just an aside, breathalysers tests haven't been a requirement for a long time. They were found to be altered by the high temps in parked cars, so unreliable.
MAJ 12/01/2018 : Alors que le fait de ne pas avoir un éthylotest dans sa voiture n’était pas ou plus sanctionné, le CISR du 9 janvier 2018 prévoit la fin de l’obligation de la détention d’un éthylotest pour 2018. Le gouvernement d’Edouard Philippe préconise d’autres moyens plus pertinents pour mettre à la disposition des conducteurs des éthylotests jugés plus fiables. Il est prévu notamment de généraliser la vente d’éthylotests à proximité des rayons de boissons alcoolisées dans tous les établissements de boissons à emporter.

cruickie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:47 am
by WendyT (deleted)

I see people saying quite often to bring a spare number plate for picking up a caravan in Europe. Here in the Netherlands, the caravan has its own number plate, different to the car. Isn’t that a European wide thing now?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:17 am

In the UK the caravan is not registered and carries the same number as the tow vehicle.
I believe on the continent the van has to be registered [over a certain weight?] and as such has its own number.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
cruickie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:45 pm
by WendyT (deleted)

Ahh handy to know, incase we end up buying one in the uk. Depends on how the exchange rate works out later this year

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:01 pm
by bevill (deleted)

Thank you all for your speedy helpful replies as usual. We'll let you know how we get on.
Hoping to be an Eriba owner soon.
Bevill

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:07 am
by Keesje II (deleted)

We just bought our Eriba Troll 530 Rockabilly from a dealer in Holland and other than swapping the position of the fog lights with the reversing lights and attaching the new licence plate it was a very simple procedure. I had to explain to the dealer that in the UK caravans are not registered as an automobile like in Holland. So we just drove off, crossed over by ferry and now have a brand new beautiful Rockabilly, possibly one of the very first ones on the road in the UK.

Randa france and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:25 am
by Jez (deleted)

Is there much to be saved cost wise buying as you have in Holland?

2012 Triton 430 GT pushing a Honda CRV 2.2 ictdi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:08 pm

If you want to swap over the sockets then try here: - https://clearcutconversions.co.uk/produc...ild-components/
The range held is wider than the internet site and they will do mix and match combinations. They are very helpful.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:14 pm
by Keesje II (deleted)

If it is cheaper to buy in Holland depends on the rate of exchange at. the time of purchase if you do not have access to EUROs, which we did and such saved approx EUR 2000 on the purchase. Changing the sockets was 15min work per socket. I had de Dutch dealer order the sockets from Hymer at EUR12.50 a piece and installed them my self. The gas bottle regulators are different too so if you take a UK bottle over you will also have to bring a new regulator and install it. It is
not clear what the situation will be after 29 March 2019

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:33 am
by gamrer02 | 3 Posts

What UK options if any were offered in Holland ?
We are just about to place order for an Ocean Drive with Lowdhams.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:46 am

Raja,
I bought from Belgium in 2007 as it was closer. What Hymer will supply on the continent differs from the UK. Gas regulator, internal sockets, rear fog/reversing lights and possibly still fire retardant foam labels are what differ. You should be able to order everything else as in the UK. The warranty and service is still a grey area as Hymer may say you have to have the van serviced inn the country of origin to maintain the warranty
I dealt with Sebastian at Campirama, https://campirama.be/ He and other staff there speak perfect English and they are about 75 mins drive from Calais. It may be an idea to send him an e-mail with a detailed list of exactly what you want to get a price.

Buying abroad used to be a lot cheaper when the £ was strong and I got 1.47 euro to the £ in 2007. Prices now are a lot closer, but big savings are still available as the number of dealers is higher and demo/stock vans held by dealers is significantly greater. If they have what you want in stock you should be better off.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:00 am
by Tophat (deleted)

Hi-I'm thinking of doing the same shortly. Did you change the lights yourself or did the dealer do it for you?
Would you mind sharing the dealer in Holland details?

Thanks in advance

Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105785 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5