RE: Buying eriba abroad

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:36 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

I've not heard anything about how things are in regard to buying a van in the EU, now that the UK are no longer members. Previously it was all one market and goods/property passed as if all in the same country. Now presumably a caravan is an import and there are border formalities/tariffs etc to negotiate.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:22 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

When I last checked a month or two ago there werent any import duties on caravans ...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:13 am
by Bryn | 994 Posts

We lived in France and bought an Eriba there, the only thing we had to do when returning to UK was send in a notice of "cessation" when we brought it to the UK other wise the vin is registered to the French number plate and could be classed as stolen by the men in blue if used with a UK registration plate in France etc, you should also be given a copy of the cessation from the seller

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:35 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Tophat, a dealer may well swap the wires and lens over for you, but it's not a big deal to do it yourself at 10 minutes work.
Buying from abroad is now a less common occurrence. Prices are not really any lower but choice of spec and availability have traditionally been better. Having said that, with Covid madness meaning travel is fraught with problems along with vans are bought quickly you may not be able to get to a van quickly enough.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:43 am

I have heard reports that availability of both new and used vans is just as bad on the Continent as it is here because so many are opting for caravanning instead of flying to their holiday. Brings a new meaning to the now defunct motorhome model name the 'Eriba Jet'.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:46 am

I believe the order book for new vans on the continent is closed. If it is not on the dealers allowance then you are out of luck and will not have your order accepted until 2022.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:38 am

The Caravan Year, even for Continental made vans runs for 12 months from the beginning of September, so any van produced from Septrmber is a 2022 model but if delivered before the end of December will be counted as a 2021 van. Confusing n'est pas? Dealers will charge you 2022MY prices but when it's time to sell/px they'll say it's a 2021.

The order book for any particular year normally closes late Spring/early Summer to allow the orders for the MY (Model Year) to be completed. Production tends to shut down in August when the line is given a deep clean, machinery installed and renovated etc and preparations made for any model changes for the new year.

So, when a dealer says anything ordered won't be 'til 2022 you do need to know if they mean 2022MY or 2022 calendar year. In the next few weeks they will be given rough delivery estimates for their stock orders, which they will hope to populate with actual names customers that have ordered already or will order over the year. Any that are not allocated to customers either become dealer stock or are traded with other dealers before delivery.

Last edited Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:47 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:43 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I don't know if these points are still an issue when buying from abroad, however the UK spec have the fire retardant stickers on the seats usually inside the covers. UK dealers can be prosecuted for selling second hand caravans without the labels, I remember Jandi telling me many years ago as the trading standards office was close to their workshop. Also some dealers will not service or honour warranties for non UK spec vans.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:15 am

Throughout the UK caravan industry there are dealerships that will not service or repair a van unless they sold it. It isn't a given that a dealer will be happy to handle a 'foreign' van, like car dealerships do and it's always wise to check locally before buying from a distance.

The warranty is another thing entirely in that it is basically Hymer agreeing to pay a dealer for repairs. Under UK law the selling dealer is the only dealership that has liability for the product, so there is no compunction on any other dealer to get involved.

Last edited Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:16 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:37 pm
by Old Rocker | 496 Posts

We have just ordered a new 530 with Leisure First.
Delivery is Jan/Feb and will be a 2022 model

Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Yesterday is just a memory, tomorrow's never what it's supposed to be
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:42 pm

Congratulations you lucky boy.

Colin

Old Rocker likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 21 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1