Towbar Centre (Poole)

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:02 pm
by Rhys (deleted)

Need to get a towbar fitted to my Skoda Kodiaq and AL recommended The Towbar Centre. Anyone got any experience or comments regarding their towbars and service.

Scroll up

RE: Towbar Centre (Poole)

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:36 pm
by VanThe Man | 11 Posts

Used them when had a problem getting my Honda fitted removable towbar to lock in place.

They sorted it out at no charge.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:36 pm
by campnsnooze | 1.148 Posts

Hi Rhys
We have used Ambrow Trailers a couple of times and they are very good...also closer for you. They are on Barrack Road, Christchurch. 01202 479259

Regards Chris (Bournemouth)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:08 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Rhys,
have you registered with the Briskoda forum?
I frequently looked in when I owned my Yeti and benefitted from lots of advice.
You do not mention which Kodiaq you own. I know some members had a shock as certain vehicles are not type approved and as such fitting a towbar is not a possibility.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:19 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #4
Rhys,

You do not mention which Kodiaq you own. I know some members had a shock as certain vehicles are not type approved and as such fitting a towbar is not a possibility.

Colin

You can check on Witter Tow Bars if a tow bar can be fitted to your model.

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:28 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

A modern car has to be homologated to tow. Lots of people are unaware or ignore this, especially mini drivers. The only legal indication is on the vehicles VIN plate. As explained here:

https://www.towbarexpress.co.uk/maximum-...oS2eiCosv4NU_qI

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:43 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

It might be worth looking at the manufacturer's own towbars. New cars have so many safety systems and you know the Skoda towbar will work well with all of them and won't set off parking sensors, blind spot warnings, anti snaking programmes etc etc,

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:00 pm
by Rhys (deleted)

I looked into that and after recovering from the eye watering cost of a Skoda fitted towbar, I have found that Ambrow Trailer Services (C hristchurch) fit the Skoda original wiring harness extension with a lockable/detachable swan neck towbar that ensures integration with the Skoda safety features such as you mention for a somewhat lesser cost.

Kam and campnsnooze like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:49 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Rhys,
I'm guessing your friendly Skoda stealer quoted about £1200 for a unit a similar unit to that I had fitted to my Yeti. This Westfalia detachable unit was a nice piece of kit and with the cover panel very well finished. You are 100% correct in going for the dedicated harness and I would advise you ask if they have allowed for the extra feed from the battery/fuse box through the car to allow for the fridge to run/battery to charge whilst in transit. This element of the fit can easily add £200 to the overall price.
If you do have this "full functuality" then be warned. If the ignition key is on then the caravan fridge will be running off the car battery. Unlike other installations you have had the engine does not need to be running.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:43 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

...and I thought Volvo towbars were expensive!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:49 pm
by Rhys (deleted)

Correct guess on Skoda dealer price. I'll check about the fridge/battery operation when its fitted; i'm sure he said that it only kicked in when the alternator was putting out 13.5+volts

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:50 pm
by Rhys (deleted)

Colin,
Correct guess on Skoda dealer price. I'll check about the fridge/battery operation when its fitted; i'm sure he said that it only kicked in when the alternator was putting out 13.5+volts
Rhys

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:09 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

We had ours factory fitted by Skoda, it cost £800, which I thought was quite good.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:09 am
by PooleDweller | 753 Posts

I've used the tow bar centre. They installed a Witter detachable tow bar on my VW, cost £600, four years ago. The detachable bit was more expensive as it consisted of two parts - a detachable base plate on which I could bolt various sized towing balls. If I recall this added about £100 to the bill. I was very pleased with the service I received.

2015 Eriba Triton 430GT pushing 2011 VW Golf Estate DSG 2L Diesel
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:07 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

I used Witter Tow Bars for my modern, fitted on the driveway.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0