Spare wheel carrier

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:49 am
by Bobb | 108 Posts

Hi
We have had our 2005 Triton 420 (1 previous owner and now looking like new) for about a week now and have just about finished checking through and polishing.
No problems at all apart from 6 nasty looking holes in the awning rail rubber (which I have now hidden by using 3x 3” lengths of small modellers aluminium tube cut in half then much filing to fit) and 2 manky side lights which I will replace when I find a reasonably priced source.

However thought I’d better checkout the spare. ..Good job I did as it was the original and has now been replaced. I am still recovering from this and can’t imagine trying to do at at he roadside....

I am thinking of making a mod to the carrier and wondered if anyone else has done this. My plan would be to cut off the threaded stud that causes the main problem, tap a 12mm hole in the same place, weld a butterfly nut on one end of the threaded stud and use this to secure the wheel.
Advice appreciated
Bob

Scroll up

RE: Spare wheel carrier

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:02 am
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Bob,
good to hear things are falling into place with the improvements.
The side lights I believe are a fairly standard part and probably Hella units. Are these the offending units Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HELLA-Red-Whi...uQAAOSwGjtcuarT
Just trying to visualise your suggestion for the wheel carrier and I cannot see whey this would not work.

Colin

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:25 pm
by Bobb | 108 Posts

Thanks Colin.
I spoke too soon though, I do have another small problem in that I cannot get the awning light to work. I cleaned the contacts and replaced both halogen bulbs but still nothing ( I am assuming that the on/off switch is just inside the door on the left?)
Any top tips please?
Bob

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:37 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

Bob,
if the van is attached to the car it will not come on. If unhitched it should work, whether on hook up or working from onboard battery.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
eribanaut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:48 pm
by Bobb | 108 Posts

Just been advised to hook up and try again and blow me, it now works...
Thanks
Bob

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:45 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Have a look at this thread
17v on mains hook up
Post #18 I think.

On my 2007 Triton 430GT, the standard wiring is for the awning to work only on EHU to avoid the possibility of showing a white light to the rear when towing. Useless to me as I never use EHU, hence my modification.

Since the relay that I use is a changeover relay I use the other "side" to power a rear facing dash cam that is only powered up when attached to the tow car, very useful

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:55 pm
by Bobb | 108 Posts

Thanks very much for that Ray.
Bob
PS Ref my wheel carrier idea above, I now have a MK2 plan which avoids drilling and tapping, I’ll report back....

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:30 pm
by Bobb | 108 Posts

Just reporting that my mk2 plan has been done and is a resounding success!
I have cut the 75mm threaded stud(that was causing the problem) leaving 15mm. On to this 15mm Stud I have permanently screwed a 30mm threaded tube thus creating a 15 mm female joint.
The wheel can now be returned to the carrier much much easier using the remaining 45mm stud to secure the wheel as before. I am using a Rtype safety clip in the convenient hole that was in the top of the 45mm stud to facilitate final tightening.

Sorry, It was easier to do than to explain but please pm for more details if required
Bob

Last edited Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:13 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:38 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Any chance of a pic to add to the gallery for others to refer to?

Eriba #5. Triton 420 GT gently nudging Ford Galaxy.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:22 pm
by Bobb | 108 Posts

Yes that would have been a good idea, should have thought of that....Problem now is that we have just taken it back to our storage site and are off tomorrow to sunny Majorca for a week - I’ll do some pics when I get back....
In the meantime, any questions Just PM....
Bob

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 47 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105690 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3