Recommendations for wheel lock & hitch lock for a Troll please?

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:19 am
by Phia (deleted)

As these are likely to be insurance requirements, can anyone recommend a good quality wheel lock and hitch lock to fit a Troll please?

Many thanks

Debra

Scroll up

RE: Recommendations for wheel lock & hitch lock for a Troll please?

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:26 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Hi and welcome.
The AlKo hitch lock is widely used by Eriba owners probably because it goes with the AlKo hitch on most of them however there are many others available.
As for wheel locks or clamps it depends on the style of wheel on your van i.e. steel or alloy. If it’s at all possible you should see some in action and feel the weight and ease of operation! There are done cumbersome monsters on the market😄

Eriba #5. Triton 420 GT gently nudging Ford Galaxy.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:52 pm
by Bryn | 994 Posts

there are some cumbersome monsters in the forum as well

eribanaut and Eribanut like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:43 am
by Eribacamper | 111 Posts

I recently fitted the Nemesis ultra by fullstop security bought from Automotive leisure when we where at the dorsit spring meet. We have a Troll 550

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 20190424_073310.jpg 

Deb & SteveH. Toyota Hilux and Winnie the Troll 550

Last edited Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:43 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:54 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Quote: Bryn wrote in post #3
there are some cumbersome monsters in the forum as well

How very dare you!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:29 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Your insurance company will probably specify a minimum of two security devices when the vehicle is left unattended for a certain period of time. I use the genuine Alko hitch lock and the Nemesis Ultra as a couple of posts above. Both are quick to fit and I am pleased with the combination. I swapped to the Nemesis for my latest van as it is smaller and lighter in weight than the Bulldog Euro I had used for many years on steel and alloy wheels of 3 Eriba's and a trailer tent. I
I bought both second hand, e-bay and gumtree, the hitchlock unused for about £70 and the Nemesis for £50, a bargain.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:56 am
by Eribacamper | 111 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #6
the Nemesis for £50, a bargain

That truly is a bargain. mine was an impulse buy at £110 reduced from £130.

Toyota Hilux and Winnie the Troll 550
https://www.instagram.com/eribacamper/?hl=en
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:08 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I run with an Alko hitchcock and keep it attached while towing ( slapped wrist ). I recently bought a Milenco Wraith wheel lock. Similar to Nemesis Ultra and very easy to use.

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:32 pm
by ross (deleted)

+1 for the Al-Ko hitch lock and Nemesis Ultra. One word of warning about the Nemesis though. Ensure the receiver bolt is free from grit as it is a right cow to remove if it gets stuck. I carry an air duster can now to make sure it is clean before I lock it.

Eribacamper likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:41 pm
by trikerin (deleted)

Hi Debra,
As a newbie also with a Troll I looked at a lot of other comments and went for the Nemesis Ultra to complement the existing Alko hitch lock. Here are some of the Pros and Cons for me which you might find useful.
PROS
The unit is well made and padded where it touches your wheels.
It is quick to put on.
It offers a high degree of security.
CONS
Like extras on an Eriba it is expensive new. The "controlled " price on ebay is £115 and our local caravan shop sells it at £120. At that price I would expect it to come with a moulded storage box similar to a power tool not a cardboard box inside a zip up cover.
The security wheel stud that replaces one of your normal ones is heavier than a normal one so unbalances the wheel.
There is no positive location for the lock relative to a marker on the unit so you need to know where the key entry is when trying to unlock it when on the caravan as the lock is quite deep in the housing.
If the wheel stops with the security nut on the bottom you may not be able to insert the locking bar through the wheel.
If you buy one new before you leave the shop check the key code is fully visible on both keys. On my keys the bottom of the aperture on the orange shroud was straight across the number and carving strips of hard plastic with a Stanley knife to reveal the whole number is a dangerous pastime besides which if you don't grind the point off the blade you will put gouge lines across the number - not good!
Finally there seems to be a lot of debate as to whether it will fit steel wheels.

Good luck and enjoy your Eriba
Phil

Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:08 pm

For what it's worth the Milenco Wraith comes in a moulded plastic case.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:31 am
by Clippie (deleted)

Debra,

I originally used the SAS Wheel Clamp (https://www.sasproducts.com/supaclamp-du...-wheels-6-p.asp), which does come in a plastic box, on my previous Triton. Though a good product in the terms of security I found that it was cumbersome to fit and transport in its box- took up far too much room and usually had to sit on the toilet floor when in transit and when deployed the box had to sit under the van. Also, it caused marks on the wheel during deployment, which is not good.

Having upgraded to the Triton 535 12 months ago, I wanted another answer to the solution of wheel lock. I went with the Nemesis as described by Eribacamper. (https://www.purpleline.co.uk/all-products/nemesis-ultra) I find this to be a superior product. It is light and easy to fit.

Trikerin has listed some cons, which I think are somewhat subjective. Yes I would agree that the Nemesis is somewhat expensive, but there again I find anything to do with Eribas is somewhat expensive and of course expensive is something we all have our own values about. As for the Zip cover, I personally find this far more acceptable for traveling than the big plastic box as described above. The cover gives protection to the lock and stops it or other things that it might come in contact with during transport from being damaged. Compared to the SAS clamp is far lighter to carry and far less of a footprint. As for the comment about a marker for key insert, yes I know this can cause frustration for some, but it is easily rectified with a small blob of paint (or tipex - if such is still in existence). I can not make comments about the key number issue, however, the Nemesis does come with two keys. We always keep one in a safe place as a back up in case we lose the one that we use operationally, a very unlikely scenario. With regards to the locking nut required to be fitted unbalancing the wheel, it might well do but I have not found this to be a problem when towing.

One last advantage of the Nemesis over the SAS clamp is that the Nemesis comes with a detachable cover the goes over the end of the lock housing so makes it waterproof. I found that after wintering my Triton (which we had for 4 years) I had to get out the WD40 to enable me to remove the lock from the SAS wheel clamp.

Price is an issue £179.95 on the manufactures website, but good old Amazon will come to the rescue £115! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Purpleline-Neme...sr=8-1-fkmrnull

I personally, would recommend the Nemises, oh and the Alco Hitch lock. My views for what they are worth.

Enjoy your Eribaring.

Clippie

(PS Majke sure it is the Nemesis Ultra if you go down this road. There is the Nemesis which is a different type of wheel lock - Clippie)

Gofer for |Troll 535 GT & Landrover Discovery Sport.

Eribacamper likes this post!
Last edited Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:54 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:42 pm
by TIGER800 (deleted)

Hi,
Just acquired a 2014 Troll 540 GT, considering the Milenco Wraith wheel lock. Are there any issues fitting the lock to alloys?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:10 pm

Superb lock. No issues with alloys.

Stewart

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:49 pm
by RichL (deleted)

So I took a different approach - my insurer specifies that I have to use a wheel lock and a tow hitch lock in order for the insurance to be valid but they set no requirements that these have to be certified or of a specific make.....so I purchased a cheap wheel lock from Amazon and a simple bolt that fits into the ALKO hitch, both cost a few pounds. I am under zero illusion that these would stop a thief but my thinking goes that if someone wants my caravan they will take it regardless of which of these expensive widgets you buy so you just buy the cheapest in order to meet the expectations of the insurers. If it gets nicked then that is what insurance is for! I should add that I store my caravan at my home behind a locked gate so its less likely to go walkies when I am not using it.

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 38 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105785 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2