Driving Licences for age 70+

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:54 am
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

So 70 years of age comes to us all eventually and some folk have already passed that milestone.

At age 70 we have to re-apply for a driving licence periodically and for those who tow we have to make sure we apply for the correct licence.

This is a pic of what I suppose is on the back of most people's picture licences :- Driving License.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

which indicates that at the moment I can drive all these catagories.

However, from our 70th birthdays we are asked to submit a medical and eye test if we wish to continue to drive anything over a catagory BE.

What is a little confusing is that for folk who past their driving tests before 1997 we can currently drive:-

"Category B - if you passed your test before 1 January 1997
You’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg maximum authorised mass (MAM). View your driving licence information to check.

You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM."

and also:-

"Category BE
You can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3,500kg with a trailer.

The size of the trailer depends on the BE ‘valid from’ date shown on your licence. If the date is:

before 19 January 2013, you can tow any size trailer
on or after 19 January 2013, you can tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 3,500kg"

Quotes taken from :- https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

Does anyone know from experience if a re-application starts from the renewal date or the date from which we passed our tests. Category BE talked about a "Valid from" date where you could only be allowed to drive 3500kg towing 3500 kgs (total 7,000 kg) whereas Category B stats ." if you passed your test before 1 January 1997
You’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg maximum authorised mass (MAM)"

I'm not really that worried about driving large vans or trucks any more but certainly wish to be insured to tow a large trailer or drive a privately rented minibus.

This also brings up another interesting consideration. We see many elderly people driving very large campervans and we all know that for various reasons the manufacturers claim that thier campers are less than 3500kg. However put a motorbike or a car trailer on the back and the weight increases dramatically.

My health doesn't worry me enough to fail a medical and I get regular eye tests but I wish to make life as easy as possible for the future.

My question to our over 70s is What do you do?

Randa

Christof Ame.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Photo by Christof Ame

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:20 pm | Scroll up

RE: Driving Licences for age 70+

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:20 pm
by Skoderiba | 209 Posts

I passed my driving test in 1974 on a Bristol Lodekka bus (16 tons with a load, No power steering, crash gearbox).
I recently had to renew my driving licence at 70 and, rather than spend a fortune on medical and eye tests (every 3 years),opted to give up the higher entitlements.
As far as I am aware I can only drive vehicles with a total GTW (gross train weight) of 3500 kg. OK with my Octavia & Troll.
As for privately rented vehicles of any kind. I found great difficulty hiring even a small van when we moved house due to being over 70. Hirers seem to think you suddenly become senile over that age.

Fortibus es in Ero
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:23 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

From the AgeUK website...
How do I renew my driving licence after 70?
Once you reach the age of 70, your licence expires, but this doesn't automatically mean you have to stop driving. You just need to renew your driving licence if you want to continue. You'll need to renew it every 3 years after that. Renewal is free of charge.

Don’t forget to apply for any categories of vehicle covered on your old licence, if you still want to be able to drive them after you renew your licence. If you don’t apply for any categories previously covered, you’ll only be able to drive a car in future.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-adv...obbies/driving/

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
One man and his dog.. retired 🐶
Randa france and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:41 pm

Zitat
Quote Skoderiba:- As far as I am aware I can only drive vehicles with a total GTW (gross train weight) of 3500 kg. OK with my Octavia & Troll.

Thanks for your imput Dave. That brings another consideration. As has been discussed on previous threads my vehicle is capably of a total train weight of 3700kgs (2200 car + 1500 trailer) and is rated as such.

Therefore if I was to just go with a B licence could I get pulled for it although only towing a 1000kg Eriba?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:43 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Quote: Skoderiba wrote in post #2

As far as I am aware I can only drive vehicles with a total GTW (gross train weight) of 3500 kg. OK with my Octavia & Troll.

You must be close to the 3,500kg limit. It is not the actual trainweight of the car/caravan combination but the theoretical max.
If you later changed the Octavia for a Karoq and were towing the same van your combination would have a theoretical limit over the 3,500kg

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:48 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:04 pm
by GeorgeWM | 9 Posts

From DVLA "View your driving licence" on querying my licence entitlement:

"Category B, Start date before 23 OCT 1976

Description

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats and a driver (with a trailer up to 750kg). You can also tow heavier trailers if the total weight of vehicle and trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg MAM. Physically disabled drivers with provisional category B entitlement will also have provisional entitlement to ride category A1 or A motor tricycles. Able-bodied drivers can no longer ride motor tricycles with a provisional category B licence

Category BE, Start date before 23 OCT 1976

Description

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats and a driver with a trailer weighing up to 3,500kg"

I passed my car test in AUG 1964 and re-licenced at 70 in 2017.
So I think to answer your original question the BE trailer weight limit is determined by your driving test date.
Anyone out there with a 70+ re-licence and a driving test post 23OCT 1976?

Regards,
George

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:11 pm

Thanks George. I passed my test in 1967 so it looks like I should automatically get a BE.

Randa

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:07 pm
by Bryn | 994 Posts

I have just spent a few weeks swapping my French licence for a UK licence, 2 applications as the first one was lost ( sent Royal Mail signed for but never signed for??) the 2nd one was all copies but they accepted them and sent my new licence, my French licence did not have an expiry date on. I hate paperwork

Last edited Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:07 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:28 am

Cor that was quick (although the DVLA is only 10 miles down the road ).

My new driving licence came this morning complete with the same picture as previously and already signed. Most importantly it includes BE so I am still able to drive heavy cars towing heavy trailers.

Randa

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:42 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.464 Posts

Neil wants to know how you went about it, a form from the helpful Post Office or online as no doubt he ought to be getting on with it if you have.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:40 pm

All done on line Mrs G. https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70 We had a reminder letter.

Nothing to pay and nothing to post apart from your old licence cut into two pieces once the new one is received. That is unless Neil still wishes to drive anything bigger in which case he'll need a Doctor's Certificate and an Eye Test Certificate.

Randa

Julie Grafo likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:06 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.464 Posts

Thanks for that Roger, Neil says "bigger than what, everything is bigger than an Eriba". Suppose he better wait for his reminder letter, can't be far away, he's not much younger than you.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:56 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Just had to pay 20 pounds for my new 3 year licence . They asked me to return my previous licence cut in half , which I did . After 2 weeks I phoned and said that I hadn't received my new licence, was told it could take up to three weeks to arrive . Forgot about licence for about 2 months , then remembered phoned again explained that I still hadn't received it . Was then told that it had been booked as a lost licence and if I wanted it back it would cost me 20 pounds . Be warned . How do you complain about a government department ?

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:30 pm
by Bryn | 994 Posts

You Don't, They lost my French Licence so I sent a photocopy of everything with a new application, they sent me my 70+ licence within days, they then sent me a letter to say that my licence was delayed as they had to check with France????????? and then I get an email asking if I had already got my new licence, "yes thank you" says I !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:01 pm
by WendyT | 89 Posts

I passed my driving test after 1997, so only have B on my license. This means the hubby and I have to get the E part added by doing a towing course and exam before picking up our new Troll in May.
I’ve been told I can get an English speaking examiner here in NL, fortunately. Hope I can get an English speaking instructor too. There’s nothing worse than struggling to find the right words when you’re already stressed.

Bryn and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 9 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1