Log burner

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:15 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I thought this was interesting, this little Scamp caravan has a log burner!

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:04 pm | Scroll up

RE: Log burner

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:29 am
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

Hope they only use dry, well seasoned wood.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51581817

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Poptop320 likes this post!
Last edited Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:13 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:27 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.464 Posts

How did they vent it, burning fuel in a van is surely a no no.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:34 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

A slide vent in the floor or a couple of those annoying underbed vents we have would give sufficient air-flow. My concern would be it puts out to much heat.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:52 pm

Valid point, when we have our log burner lit in the lounge we end up opening doors and heating the rest of the bungalow, it’s either that or roast 🥵

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:27 pm

Here is another video that explains the logburner install. Not for me , I wouldn't fancy an ember falling out and causing havoc..

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:51 am
by Angie and Steve | 165 Posts

And yet virtually everyone is happy to cook on naked gas flames which are close to all sorts of combustible surfaces. It's just a matter of what you are used to, solid fuel stoves are used safely all the time in narrowboats for example.

Steve.

Without music, life would be a mistake.
Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:59 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Words just about fail me on this one. There are several serious fires each year on narrowboats usually due to solid fuel stoves. Although they can be used safely a lot are not. I wouldn't want one of these anywhere near my Eriba.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:19 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

To expand upon my comment above. At the end of 2018 I fitted a free standing woodburner in our renovated bungalow, getting a registered installer to do the flue work. I read up on "document J", the building regs document that covers such installations. I exceeded the requirements in all aspects but was still astounded at how hot the area behind the woodburner became. The plaster (on rendered) wall craized after a couple of days, the surface so hot it could not be touched. I then cement bordered this wall and this has cracked, although admittedly in only one line after nearly two winters use.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:46 pm

Ditto, Neil built a hearth for our logburner out of old quarry tiles. After one winter he extended the quarry tiles up the wall behind the burner as the wall got so hot and the plaster had cracked so badly. Our burner was professionally installed complying with all building regs.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:55 am
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

The problem we get as non logburner users is other peoples smoke. Although chimney stacks may comply with existing laws it doesn't cater for wind direction and down drafts into neighbouring properties.

It doesn't help that we have an abundance of fallen timber within yards of our properties so people burn anything they pick up. The new legislations for England next year don't cover Wales and even if they did, how on earth can they be implimented?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:39 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

The use of wood for campfires and in this case small burners is insignificant compared with the amount used in domestic buildings. Difficult to enforce and probably left to public awareness and future disdain.

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:40 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:41 pm

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #11
The problem we get as non logburner users is other peoples smoke. Although chimney stacks may comply with existing laws it doesn't cater for wind direction and down drafts into neighbouring properties.
It doesn't help that we have an abundance of fallen timber within yards of our properties so people burn anything they pick up. The new legislations for England next year don't cover Wales and even if they did, how on earth can they be implimented?
Randa

When I fire up my old MGB my neighbour two doors away runs round to tell me it stinks and she can smell the fumes in her garden. She then goes home and throws some more logs on her solid fuel fire, it constantly smells like bonfire night in the evening

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:17 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

My next door neighbour couldn’t understand why his dining room filled with smoke when he lit the fire in the back room. This apparently went on for a couple of weeks before he saw me in the garden. He asked if I could help him to find out why, so we moved down his garden looked at the two chimneys and one of them was a foot lower than the other hence the smoke dropping into the other chimney. He had both Chimney pots replaced to the same height and then finish them off by putting some of these Metal roundabouts on the top to draw the smoke up the chimney. It’s good when you’re handy and sensible and logical.

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
One man and his dog.. retired 🐶
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:48 pm
by Angie and Steve | 165 Posts

I actually rather like the smell of wood smoke on the breeze :-)

Steve.

Without music, life would be a mistake.
Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 12 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0