Gas Trumatic

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 20, 2019 5:45 pm
by Bobb | 108 Posts

Hi
Our newly acquired 2005 Triton has a gas only Trumatic blown air system. Whilst away on our first, very successful, trip to Polzeath, we were told by another Eriba owner that it is possible to convert our system to gas/electric.
We are not too bothered about the blown air side of things but it would be a boon to have the option to have an electric convector heater (as we did in our old Hymer 470).
Has anyone managed to convert their ‘
Truma ‘boiler’ or even replaced it completely?

Thanks
Bob

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 tdi ultra S tronic with a 2005 Triton 420GT
Scroll up

RE: Gas Trumatic

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 20, 2019 6:48 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

Yes. I fitted an electric element to our heater some years ago and it was a relatively straightforward DIY job .

If I remember correctly. Morphy also did the job about a year ago so between us I'm sure we can help if you decide to proceed. If you already have blown air fitted, it will also work with the electric element.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 21, 2019 7:27 am
by Bobb | 108 Posts

Thanks very much Aaron, it’s great to know that it can be done.
On reflection i don’t think it’s a job that I would feel confident about doing myself but now that I know it’s possible I am going to speak to one or two local workshops to see if they can do it for me...
If I draw a blank I have an electrician friend who might help so might be grateful for your further advice - i’ll let you know how I get on!

Thanks again
Bob

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 21, 2019 7:33 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

I was recently quoted about £320 to have an ultrheat element fitted by an Eriba dealer. Logistically I was finding it difficult to get the van booked in for the work so have decided to stick with my small John Lewis fan heater for now.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 21, 2019 8:00 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

We were quoted £662 by Travelworld to supply and fit the Ultraheat element to our Truma 3004 gas heater. The part is quoted as £338 which has to be paid up front. Seems a lot so will probably not bother.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 21, 2019 9:47 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: Kam wrote in post #4
I was recently quoted about £320 to have an ultrheat element fitted by an Eriba dealer.
Was that supply and fit, or just the fitting price, Kam?

Bobb - if it's convenient for you to travel to the Wirral, I can supply and fit the Ultraheat (including the remote thermostat) for around £480.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 21, 2019 10:38 pm
by warddru0455 (deleted)

I also priced it up and fainted at the cost. Solution was a low wattage mini oil filled radiator. Place it in front of one of the blown air vents and you are soon warm. We turn fan of and leave it on all night if very cold,warm and quiet.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 21, 2019 11:54 pm
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

We got the Ultraheat electric element fitted when we bought our Eriba new. Can’t remember the cost but I certainly can recommend it. We only ever use the electric part and feel better leaving it on in the cold dark winter months. We don’t have blown air and it is more than hot enough for our Troll 530 and nice that we can dial up the heat by the bed before venture out from under the covers in the morning.

~ N

~ 530 and proud
Keith and Sue likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 22, 2019 12:22 pm
by Keith and Sue | 79 Posts

AL charged an additional £340 for the Ultraheat when we ordered our 2019 van. Presumably it was factory fitted.

Like Nthurrzzz, we only ever use the electric element.

K&S

2019 Troll 540GT - Mercedes Vito Bluetec 119 Sport

likes this post!
Last edited Wed May 22, 2019 12:22 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 22, 2019 2:25 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

I've just dug out the email and it was £360 for parts and fitting incl VAT.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 22, 2019 9:17 pm
by Bobb | 108 Posts

Thanks very much for all the posts - extremely helpful.
Bob
PS Thank you for your offer John but we live in Plymouth !!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 31, 2019 2:56 pm
by Morphy | 966 Posts

Aaron Calder is correct I also fitted the electric element to my troll blown air heating and we use it a lot well worth it. To be fare I did get a lot of advice from Aaron before and whilst I was fitting it. It is a straight forward job I would say more fiddly than hard. I got an unused one off someone on ebay for about £100 job done. You do have to take the fire out and also buy a thermostat control unit extension to be able to fit far enough away from the fire so the fire it does not interfere with air flow. But as said everything straight forward if you are going to the summer bash look me up I will show you what to do.
Morphy

Eriba Troll name Trevor year 2004 pushing a Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:12 pm
by Bobb | 108 Posts

Hi Morphy
Thanks very much for your advice but having only owned our Triton for a couple of months I think i’m Going to pass on the Trumatic conversion although I might revisit the project again a bit later in the year. Regretfully not going to the summer bash but hope to go next year.
Thanks again for your interest.
Bob

Morphy likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:46 am
by thecolliss | 137 Posts

I've fitted the electric element, as Aaron / Morphy's instructions
Also as Morphy,fitted a further cut out sensor. (EBAY £10)
Took about 2 hrs, inc bubble test with the gas re-connection.
I'm now fully electric including Weber BBQ cutting gas costs & bottle weight.

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 18 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105780 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1