RE: Eriba Insurance yet again.

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:50 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I see your point about annual servicing but there is another issue involved. Lack of use is a contributory factor to deterioration.
Tyres, chassis, brakes etc could become a liability rendering the caravan less roadworthy.
Obviously not applicable in your case but an annual check up (as an insurance requirement) lessens the risk to the insurers and other road users.
TonyP

Eriba Troll 540GT (#6) and Galaxy.
Williebraveheart, Bryn and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:08 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Quote: atkinbrown wrote in post #15
Not sure about the £280! Our new Troll 530 GT cost us £400 with Caravenguard. have we been ripped off!!

Not sure but judging by Stewart's comments in #13 it looks like you have. He's got a new 535 and is saying he's paying £288.pa

Interesting point about servicing. Does everyone have their vans serviced annually? I presume when new you are obliged to but what happens when out of warrenty?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:08 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:13 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Some years my caravan insurance has been more than my car insurance. If you are new to caravan ownership it can be eye wateringly expensive on a new £20K plus van.
Thinking back to premiums being paid by long time owners then £10 per £1,000 insured seems to be a rough guide. It al depends on excess and contents cover but it is a rough guide.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Williebraveheart likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:42 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

Not sure about the £280! Our new Troll 530 GT cost us £400 with Caravenguard. have we been ripped off!!

I never like the term ripped off. If you accepted a quotation and were satisfied with what you bought then you have not been ripped off. You may have paid more than you needed to had you enquired elsewhere but it is a difficult question to answer as insurance depends on personal circumstances, occupation, post code, no claims bonus, discounts for security measures, etc. The value you put on equipment/contents also has a bearing. I have been with Saga for four years now and find their quotes pretty competitive. I have never had to claim but other more unfortunate people on this forum have reported excellent service from Saga when required. You pays your money......

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
eribanaut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:50 pm

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #17

Not sure but judging by Stewart's comments in #13 it looks like you have. He's got a new 535 and is saying he's paying £288.pa

Interesting point about servicing. Does everyone have their vans serviced annually? I presume when new you are obliged to but what happens when out of warrenty?

Randa

I must confess I do get an annual service from Jandi. Not being technically inclined I like the peace of mind. Sandy has his own service schedule so some years it was only basic lubrication and brakes were every two years in my case with little annual mileage. Gas check and damp check were of course every year. The cost reduced dramatically when Sandy was not obliged to charge Hymer prices for damp check, etc.

Stewart

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:49 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I changed my insurance this year from the caravan club to Caravan Guard. Cc wanted £500 and Caravan Guard £330 insured for £23000, . Caravan Guard insisted that it was CRiS registered which I did early in the year. They also do new for old up to 15 years,.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:51 am
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

"You will almost certainly find this insurance cheaper elsewhere"

Well that's a good marketing technique !!!

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:39 pm

Quote: Eribanut wrote in post #22
"You will almost certainly find this insurance cheaper elsewhere"

Well that's a good marketing technique !!!

There is now a legal requirement to add a phrase informing that cover may be found cheaper elsewhere. It suggests you check to make sure you are being quoted for like for like. The actual wording on my Saga renewal was " You may be able to get the insurance cover you want at a better price if you shop around". That phrase or something similar appears on all insurance renewal notices. It is not really breaking news. I chose not to shop around as I was happy to accept the premium quoted.

Stewart

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:02 pm

There is a subtle difference between "you will almost certainly find this insurance cheaper elsewhere" and " You may be able to get the insurance cover you want at a better price if you shop around".

Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:04 pm

Just had my renewal through from Towergate (due 9 September) and premium has gone up by 37% Suffice to say am now shopping around !

Edit: Called Towergate and asked why the premium had spiralled up by 37% gave me load of waffle then asked if I had more competitive quotes so quoted Randas figure she went off to speak with her supervisor when she returned the premium had reduced to just £10 more than last year with no changes to the policy, a reduction of £53 !!! Got them to confirm by email but still shopping !

Tempus fugit; carpe diem

Williebraveheart and eribaMotters like this post!
Last edited Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:23 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:30 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

Quote: Eribanut wrote in post #25
Just had my renewal through from Towergate...

I'm holding my breath, Towergate will no doubt try and add your discount onto mine...

1997 Puck pushing a 1970 Morris Minor Traveller, sometimes a Pug 3008
Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:24 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

Quote: Big Al wrote in post #26
Quote: Eribanut wrote in post #25
Just had my renewal through from Towergate...

I'm holding my breath, Towergate will no doubt try and add your discount onto mine...

Towergate have added £22 to last year's premium but that's for 'Market value Cover' which if you know the length of a piece of string may cover any loss.

I have looked at the C&CC Club Care Insurance and they are in the same ball park figure for market value and £20 more than Towergate for agreed value.

An interesting thing happened as I looked at the Club Care policy. By mistake I added an AK-LO ATC. This made the quote £ to £ with Towergate. When I checked I see I have just a bog standard AK-LO hitch so I adjusted my details. The premium went up £50! I went through the details again and actually removed my wheel lock because I find it very hard to put it on and off. The quote went down by £30!!!

Using a compare site gives me Towergate Euro £60 cheaper than their renewal and Towergate euro+ £20 cheaper. Nothing, other than the difference in the quote, is shown as a difference between normal or + cover!

It's times like this I lose the will to live, no wonder some just accept renewal quotes...

I will continue to look.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:41 pm

I know what you mean about losing the will to live. I thought I would try Adrian Flux as we have the Morris ins with them. Called them and requested a quote went through it all with operator she can up with figure lower than Towergate. Asked to email to me, no problem. Waited a day then called back inquiring about email ! Sorry can I check your email address confirmed ok be with you within 10mins. Following day called again, where's my quote can I check your email !! Thank you will be with you soon can take up to an hour. That was a week ago!

Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:17 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

Quote: Eribanut wrote in post #28
...I thought I would try Adrian Flux as we have the Morris ins with them...

Next time try RH. My Morris insurance has only gone up by £5 in 5 years and that was because of the changes in insurance tax. You get full cover, UK & EU including breakdown cover.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:45 pm

I know what you mean about losing the will to live. I thought I would try Adrian Flux as we have the Morris ins with them. Called them and requested a quote went through it all with operator she can up with figure lower than Towergate. Asked to email to me, no problem. Waited a day then called back inquiring about email ! Sorry can I check your email address confirmed ok be with you within 10mins. Following day called again, where's my quote can I check your email !! Thank you will be with you soon can take up to an hour. That was a week ago!

Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 3 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1