Eriba Insurance yet again.

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:51 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

A year or two ago we changed our insurers from Towergate to Saga, largely because the Grafos and Eribanauts had such good service from Saga in difficult times for them.

We've just had a renewal form and as well as the annual cost rising by £25.00 they now insist that because the Eriba is now 20 years old, we need to supply them with proof of annual servicing in the event of a claim.

I'm sure I can argue out the £25.00 but I'm not happy with the 20 year + clause. We've only ever had the van "rolling chassis" serviced in the past and certainly not every year. I don't know if they expect a full service or a roadworthiness service.

Admittedly, although we had it serviced early this year, because of the mileage we've done it is our intention to get it serviced again for next year but under normal circumstances most Eribas will only travel a few thousand miles a year so imposing an £100 plus annual service charge to an £175 annual insurance cost is taking the ****.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Big Al likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Eriba Insurance yet again.

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:19 pm
by Pip1136 | 68 Posts

It's hard to be a pirate but not an insurance company

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:42 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Try Lifesure. I cannot find anywhere in my documents a statement requiring a annual service clause.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:26 pm

Thanks Colin. That clause wasn't in our insurance last year either. It's has just been added this year on the Eriba's 20th birthday. (and I thought Saga looked after oldies?)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
campnsnooze likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:08 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

Shop around. Never renew with the same company without getting alternative quotes.

Having said that, I've been with Cover4Caravans since 2011 as no one else comes close. Same with car insurance; I spent ages yesterday going through all the comparison websites but will be sticking with 'Quote me happy' (Aviva Internet only) for both cars for the fourth consecutive year. Others may be a few quid cheaper but none competes with £0 voluntary excess and £80 compulsory.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Randa france and mr_underhill like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:27 am

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #5
Shop around. Never renew with the same company without getting alternative quotes.
Having said that, I've been with Cover4Caravans since 2011 as no one else comes close.

Well done that Man A hassle free phone call with Aston from Cover4Caravans a short while ago and we have it fully comprehensively covered for a nominated amount to replace (currently AL are selling one for £10,500) plus awning and contents, travel abroad, etc etc etc, £142.00.

No need to present an annual service invoice. Thanks you Mr C.

Incidently, I got no change from Saga. They would not reduce the premium, their underwriters will insist on age discrimination. Let's consider this for a moment.

I presume that folk with new Eribas might be able to get their van insured with Saga for less than £280 per annum. In the event of an accident such as the ones the Grafos and the Eribanauts experienced, or theft, they would ask Saga to pay out the best part of £20,000.The question of roadworthiness wouldn't arise.

However, we are asked to pay around £280 per annum to ensure our 20 year old van (£180 to ensure, £100 to service), so that we can claim only £10,000 and we would be asked to present documentation to prove our van was roadworthy.

The Saga underwriters are only interested in roadworthiness and not a full service but in the case of a van that only does, let's say, 1500 miles a year, it's a farce. OK ours does more but there is no way of telling who does what mileage with any van, new or old.

Randa

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Last edited Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:41 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:10 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

In the event of an accident such as the ones the Grafos and the Eribanauts experienced, or theft, they would ask Saga to pay out the best part of £20,000.The question of roadworthiness wouldn't arise.

Well yes it did, they wanted the service history, on our 12 year old Triton, we sent them the last 3 years [chassis and running gear only]
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:13 pm

Do you have it annually serviced then Dave? With the mileage you do I suspect you do. Also, was that clause mentioned on your certificate of insurance? Previously, it wasn't on ours but the new clause (page 5 of our renewal request) was pointed out to us on the first page of our renewal reminder.

Randa

Last edited Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:16 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:48 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

Pleased to have been of assistance, Roger.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:52 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.463 Posts

Saga didn't ask us for servicing details but then we hadn't had the 420 for that long and it had come from an Eriba dealer so maybe that negated the need for a service. Our current Troll is 11 years old and they haven't mentioned it yet, I will be watching for it. The car was insured with Saga but we moved it to Aviva on renewal as Saga put the premium up astronomically, although to be fair to them they did say in the renewal notice "You will almost certainly find this insurance cheaper elsewhere" so we did.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:43 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Yes we do get it serviced each year, and no it wasn't on the schedule, but a note saying that proof of road worthiness would be required.I think most companies when paying out a substantial sum would want proof and wouldn't pay out otherwise, even if not on the schedule.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:49 pm

I did ask the question of Cover4Caravans and he checked up with his manager. Again, my point is that many caravan owners only do a couple of thousand miles a year tops, so it's ridiculous to expect them to give the van an annual service.

Even the German TUV testing is every 2 years and only costs £45.

Randa

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:43 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

Just had my renewal from Saga. New for old policy insured for £28K + contents has been reduced from £332 to £288. I have no issue with that. I did notice that in their conditions was a clause that stated caravans over 5 years old must undergo an annual service.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:52 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Our Premium for 2007 Troll 540 including awnings, contents, equipment at Market value, total value £16900 is £150 with Towergate. Includes legal aid cover, European cover excess £75.
Special conditions/limitations - None

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

Last edited Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:58 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:39 pm
by atkinbrown | 62 Posts

Not sure about the £280! Our new Troll 530 GT cost us £400 with Caravenguard. have we been ripped off!!

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 15 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2