Handbrake !

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:50 pm
by Sean and Jan (deleted)

Hi all,
Newby here. Just picked up our Eriba 420 triton 2004 and had a lovely drive home from Bournemouth. Everything went well but we just went out to move it and we can’t get the handbrake off. Any idea’s ?
Regards
Sean and Jan

Scroll up

RE: Handbrake !

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:21 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

If it's the one with the gas spring, they can take quite a shove to release. It isn't just a case of pressing the button and it springing off. (on mine at least).

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:34 pm

I’ll try that... Thank you

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:13 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Also be aware that with the brake on the van will move backwards a few inches (all to do with the automatic reversing feature apparently) before stopping. Good to know if you are parking it against a rear wall.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:18 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

......and if it does move back the brake handle will rise more making it even harder to release.

Eriba Troll 540GT (#6) and Galaxy.
Don’t grow up.....it’s a trap!
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:37 pm
by NickR | 38 Posts

Welcome!
You may also like to know that recommended practice is to chock the wheels and leave the handbrake off when leaving the van in storage, that is, except when parking on a site, to avoid the brake shoes sticking to the drums due to rust, This also means that a cover fits better over the drawbar. I have a 2003 Triton, and have not had the problem you mention, but as said, it can be quite stiff to release.

NickR

2003 Triton 420 and 2.0 TDl Yeti

Williebraveheart likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:34 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #5
......and if it does move back the brake handle will rise more making it even harder to release.

Especially if it's parked upwards on a slope. If possible, hitch the car to it and drive mms forward to take the pressure off a bit, then release the handbrake. If it works then chock the Eriba wheels before applying the handbrake and unhitching the car.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:24 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:41 am

Thank you all for the information. I will check all these things in the morning. It’s great to have all this accumulated knowledge when things don’t go as planned.
Thank you

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:12 am

Hi all,
Well I now have a freed handbrake, I took advice and rolled it back and at the same time released the handbrake and it worked.
Thank you all so much for your advice.
Sean and Jan

Randa france and Aaron Calder like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 19 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4