Holes in the Roof

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:46 am
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

An interesting discussion is taking shape on the Eribafolk facebook page about holes in the roof on new vans.

Denbigh Gabbitas has just bought a new Ocean Drive, presumably from France and has asked the question. Here is a photo of his van.
and what he asks:-

How long have Eriba been putting holes in the roof? Our 2007 had no holes, the new Ocean has about 16 (it’s dark, so I can’t count). They are, amongst other things, the bases of the pop-top keepers. Surely, this is retrograde? No holes, no possible ingress of water - holes, a possible future compromise of the waterproofing. Yet another little negative. We were so looking forward to this caravan, the shine has definitely been lost.

holes in roof. 01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

A short time ago a similar thread was started on a European Eriba Group page where, it would appear, that these holes were only present on 2018/2019 vans.

Here are some pics that were posted on there. holes in roof..jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)holes in roof. 03.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Any comments please.

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

RE: Holes in the Roof

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:16 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

In my role as senior forum anorak I am afraid to say the information is duff.
I recall repacing the bolts on the roof of my 2006 Familia as they went rusty. In the attached photos you will see the bolts present on the roof of our 2017 year and model Triton 430. I took these to send to Lowdhams as the roof had developed some crazing in the gel coat after a year, since repaired under warranty.

roof 1.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)roof 2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:41 pm

Perhaps then it's 2017, 2018 and 2019?

On our Troll (pre 2010) and according to many other contributors to the Facebook thread, all had 4qty bolt heads showing through the roof to hold the pop up hinges on but none had the extra sets of two in all four corners that apparently hold the pop top roof closing toggles.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:42 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:48 pm
by JefL | 95 Posts

2016 Familia and Triton has them too (had one, got one)

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:57 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Quote: JefL wrote in post #4
2016 Familia and Triton has them too (had one, got one)

Progress !!

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:35 am

Zitat
Me in #3:- On our Troll (pre 2010) and according to many other contributors to the Facebook thread, all had 4qty bolt heads showing through the roof to hold the pop up hinges on but none had the extra sets of two in all four corners that apparently hold the pop top roof closing toggles.

Thinking about it I may have got this wrong and it may be the pull down toggles that are bolted through with single fixings and not the hinges. I have no way of checking now as the van is under cover.

So it's beginning to look like most post 2010 models have the extra through fixings and it's the pull down toggles that are now fixed through with DOUBLE fixings. Could this be in any way related to the problems these models had with these toggles before they decided to put tightening screws on them?

Randa

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:48 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

My Puck has 1 bolt for each toggle. That gives maximum pull down against the aerodynamic lift when towing. The scissors only have to support the static weight when pitched. However my popup is small. Larger (and different shaped) popups may be susceptible to greater lift in strong winds while pitched. I wonder if the offending models have a stronger scissor design as well.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:27 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:25 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

They could be to avoid delamination of the lower and upper poptop which can occur on the older models?

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 29 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3