PUCK L, 225GT, 230GT - Any known common faults please??

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:40 am
by Bullet (deleted)

I am searching for a Puck L, 225GT or 230GT and wondered if there are any known issues with these models. Rather than going for a purchase blindly it would be nice to know what to look out for. Does anyone have experience of these great looking vans.

Also I am thinking it would be nice to have a motor mover (for when I get even older) and wonder if people have any experience based opinions about these rather expensive options?

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Bullet

Scroll up

RE: PUCK L, 225GT, 230GT - Any known common faults please??

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:22 am
by zippy | 70 Posts

3 different axles fitted to these depending on age and spec, 750, 790 & 850KG, the 850 is preferred if you want a mover as it gives a bit more payload and clearance

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:24 am
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Regarding motor movers. Not possible on a Puck; fairly difficult on a Puck L.

The biggest problem will be the underframe as it'd be very costly to repair if it's badly rusted. The framework indicated in red is the most likely area to corrode.

framework.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:29 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:48 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Good comment Zippy on the weights. When I see a Puck L I've often thought how low they look and with such a wide range of weights it is easy to see how an owner could have over loaded one and compressed the suspension.
If you look here you will note how the older van with probably lower max weight, sits so much lower than the newer van. https://www.domfox.co.uk/eriba-caravans-for-sale/

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:48 am
by Bullet (deleted)

Hello Zippy,
Thanks for taking time to send me the information. I didn't have clue about the various axle. I'll certainly look into this in my search for the 'van. They are not plentiful secondhand or at bargain prices either.
Regards,
Dave (Bullet)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:01 am
by Bullet (deleted)

Hello Randa,

Thank you for this tip. I will certainly examine the areas you highlighted. I recall seeing an excellent series on Youtube where a chap called Steve Bradfield literally rebuilds an Eriba including renewing parts of the frame. Having seen Youtube I am even more impressed with the Puck range. I think I am catching the Eriba bug. It's just finding the right one.......................

I'm also wondering if a motor mover is necessary. This was more an insurance against getting old versus being able to continue using/manoeuvring an Eriba.

Regards,
Dave (Bullet)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:13 am
by Bullet (deleted)

I've looked at these Dom Fox photos several times, not least because I live very close to him and he has a 230GT for sale, and I never realised about the ground clearances until you pointed it out. His vans look well presented on the photographs and his prices don't seem quite as high as AL on the south coast.

I am still trying to get my head around what these cost and I have previously fallen into the trap of comparing them with "ordinary" caravans which on the face of it give you a lot more for your money. Of course I now realise the whole point of the Eriba and that a purchase is a sound long term investment financially, quite apart from the enjoyment of ownership as reflected by the members on this forum.

Thanks for the info.
Regards
Dave (Bullet)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:34 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Dave,
you are correct on your cost observations. You eyes will water and you will have a sinking feeling as your hard earned cash sems to evaporate when buying an Eriba. What you need to consider is the future value. Many owners on the site have sold there old van for more than they paid for it. I'm now Eriba no4 and my previous vans have all sold for more than I paid for them. When bought they were 18 months, new and 5 yrs old. I'm not sure if no4 will achieve this, but if I sold it in a couple of years time at 5yrs old it would be fairly close. This worst case would mean the van would have cost me service, insurance and what pitiful amount of interest I might have got if invested.
I think it fair to say owners prefer the investment to be in there Eriba and the enjoyment they bring.

Coin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:53 am

Zitat
Quote Bullet:- I recall seeing an excellent series on Youtube where a chap called Steve Bradfield literally rebuilds an Eriba including renewing parts of the frame.

Hi Dave. Yes, I've linked all his existing videos on here:- The Story of Rusty Bottom
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:57 am

Zitat
Quote EribaMotters:- If you look here you will note how the older van with probably lower max weight, sits so much lower than the newer van.

All the better for sneeking under that French 2 metre gantry with
Well spotted that man. Eyes like a robber's horse.
R

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:04 am
by zippy | 70 Posts

I have owned 2 puck-L's at various stages and both increased a little in value during ownership. I think the puck-L was a particularly clever design and always had a healthy demand, with it now being out of production for 10 years, there is always going to be a demand for good examples. Also due to the size many have been kept in garages when not in use

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:29 pm
by Raymond (deleted)

I have a 2010 Eriba Puck L 230 GT which I wish to sell. Serviced annually. Motor mover. Good to very good condition. No known faults. Owned since 2013 but age catching up (with me). Viewing welcomed - I have yet to consider the price but will sell reasonably as soon as I have researched the market place. Would be willing to include air awning, wheel lock and awning ground sheet.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:23 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Raymond wrote in post #12
I have a 2010 Eriba Puck L 230 GT which I wish to sell. Serviced annually. Motor mover. Good to very good condition. No known faults. Owned since 2013 but age catching up (with me). Viewing welcomed - I have yet to consider the price but will sell reasonably as soon as I have researched the market place. Would be willing to include air awning, wheel lock and awning ground sheet.
Hello Raymond

Things for sale must have a price. See here.

Can you edit your post accordingly, please?

Cheers

Pete

Randa france and Bathchap like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 15 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2