2014 Triton 420GT new purchase

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:27 am
by Steve620 (deleted)

Hi. We recently joined the forum having purchased a 2014 420GT from AL in Bournemouth.

We collect it in a couple of weeks and it is our first caravan having previously owned a smallish motorhome. I wonder if I could ask some questions on here in preparation for the collection.

1. Does anyone know what the nose weight is of a 420GT when it is empty other than with two gas bottles on board?
2. What are the sizes of the rear seats so that we can get some bedding for using them as two singles?
3. Has anyone got any insurance recommendations?

I am sure we will have loads of other questions over the weeks and months ahead, but help with these would be great so that we can collect it and get back home in one piece!

Thanks

Steve and Bev

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: 2014 Triton 420GT new purchase

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:00 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Welcome Steve and Bev,
- I cannot be specific with the noseweight but I'm guessing you are asking as you want to feel happy to tow an empty van. With the front end kitchen you should be fine. Once you have the van invest in a cheap pair of scales [IKEA] a piece of 10mm plywood a little bigger than them to sit them on and a few pieces of timber to stretch from the scales to the underside of your hitch.
- Upon checking the brochures they do not list the bed size for your age of van. They should however be 198 and 190 in length and I believe either 70 or 75 cm wide. They make up into a very nice 198/190 x 1880 bed if you wish.
- Use the search and you will find lots of info on Insurance. New for Old and European cover seem to tip the scales into high premiums. Some companies are now specifying CRIS registaration which Eriba's do generally not have. The Caravan & Motorhome Club has over the years been the most highly and I've only seem one negative experience of them. They are however VERY expensive. We are currently with Lifesure and have been for 4 or 5 years now with price hikes year on year non-existent. We have previously used SAGA.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:23 am
by Steve620 (deleted)

Colin

Thanks for the reply. I’ve looked up your insurance company recommendation and will get a quote. I was previously with the Caravan and Motorhome Club insurance with my motorhome and have built up some no claims so will compare.

I’ll get the scales but was keen for some advice just for the drive home.

Steve

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:21 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Steve,
this might help Insurance renewal

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:25 pm
by Captain Calamity | 349 Posts

Hi Steve
We have a 2017 420GT which I guess must be very similar to yours.
Empty with two calor cylinders gave us 80kg noseweight. I swapped the cylinders for one Safefill and one backup calor lite and that went down to 60kg. We tow with a Tiguan so there are no issues with noseweight.
Our bedding is standard single bed stuff however we did invest in thick duvalay mattress toppers - best move ever! They are more comfy than the bed at home. The toppers have full zip up cover which acts as a sheet. Roll it out and your bed is made.
We insure with Caravan Guard. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive. They do new for old cover, European cover and have no requirement for a CRIS registration.
Our other must-have is an Isabella sun awning which also acts as a rain shelter. 5 minutes to put up therefore ideal for a two/three day trip.
I’m biased of course but you have the best Eriba with the 420. Enjoy your travels!
Kevin and Sarah

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:05 pm
by Silverfox (deleted)

We also have a 420GT and sleep as two singles for which we find sleeping bags a perfect solution. They roll up & easily store under seats. Don’t compromise on pillows - use the ones from your home. Enjoy your van

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:23 pm
by Steve620 (deleted)

Hi Thanks for all the replies. We will play around with the nose weight and the idea of the two styles of gas bottle. I need to get to the 60/70 kg as I have a BMW 3 series touring as a tow car.
We will start with sleeping bags on our first night but think a trip to IKEA or (less stressful) Dunhelm is on the cards for the bedding.

Steve and Bev

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 4 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1