Rusty Balls

in We've got it down to a T Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:37 am
by eribaMotters | 5.304 Posts

That got your attention.
Following up on several owners observations about rusty tow-balls last year I decided to take a two two ball cover approach. I have a pivoting towbal on my Audi with an open/slotted cover and as such the ball seems to rust very quickly. Over winter I used a standard Alko rubber cover and a wipe of grease. I've just pulled the van out to take it for it's service and when hitching up found a light wipe was all that was needed to degrease and find a sparkling ball that did not need any attention with the emery cloth. When away I'll use the other cover but revert to the grease and rubber cover when the van is not in use.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

RE: Rusty Balls

in We've got it down to a T Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:29 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

" I've just pulled the van out to take it for it's service and when hitching up found a light wipe was all that was needed to degrease and find a sparkling ball that did not need any attention with the emery cloth"

How marvelous is that! a "sparkling ball" !

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
eribanaut likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:44 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

Quote: Eribanut wrote in post #2
" I've just pulled the van out to take it for it's service and when hitching up found a light wipe was all that was needed to degrease and find a sparkling ball that did not need any attention with the emery cloth"

How marvelous is that! a "sparkling ball" !

Does it flash?

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:07 am
by Border Reiver (deleted)

I know this post went up a while ago.
But thought i would share my solution, as also have retractable towbar on my last 3 vehicles.
Once retracted sit in effect upside down so one of the alko golfball covers will fill with moisture over time causing rust. A few pin holes drilled in the rubber helped but not fully resolved.
So thinking laterally something snug to cover a small plastic bag with elastic band. Then in barbers the old something for the weekend moment came into mind.

Perfect or a balloon if you do not wish red face of asking pharmacist for one to cover your 50mm rusting ball :)
IMG_20200304_141248.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Sportique likes this post!
Last edited Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:08 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:18 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.304 Posts

I have also found rust an issue when using for the first trip of the year. I did consider a plastic bag but thought it might sweat. When I put the towball up for the last time last year I smeared with vaseline and used an old Alko rubber ball cover. This year when taking off I had minimal rust. I wiped dry, gave a light emery as normal and then a squirt of brake cleaner on a tissue. The cover has now been replaced with a dry clean one and I've only needed a few seconds with emery tape on the ball prior to the usual brake cleaner wipe in our 4 weeks away so far.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 65 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12520 topics and 105635 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1