Tesla Model 3 Towing a Classic Troll

in We've got it down to a T Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:37 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Anders.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Poptop320, SOULBLUESMAN68 and FINNWOODY like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Tesla Model 3 Towing a Classic Troll

in We've got it down to a T Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:40 pm

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:31 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

It looks like a very competent tugger, the dashboard looks like something from Starship Enterprise! I must be old school all I want is a speedometer and a fuel gauge.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:15 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

in the UK the model 3 is restricted to towing 750Kg (last time I looked). What you need is a model X (and £100K or so).

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:56 pm

Electric Classic Cars. :- https://www.electricclassiccars.co.uk/

See also Bye Bye Land Rover (2)

Randa

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:33 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

This is interesting Randa.

Son-in-law picking up Tesla in August but don't think a suggestion that he has a tow bar fitted to try out our Troll with it would be met with enthusiasm - plus he is pretty law abiding.............................!

MikeT

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:11 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

There are a few new EV s out soon with 1500 kg and 1600 kg towing capacity l like the look of the Hyundai ionic5 which is 1600kg and decent range.it will be interesting how these case with towing and how it affects range..

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:37 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

As EVs become more capable campsites are going to have to consider charging points. I still think hydrogen is the way forward.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:50 am
by eribaMotters | 5.325 Posts

I'm just thinking 10 years down the line. I've stopped 5 times to recharge on our way down to our favourite site in The Loire, to find they still only have 6amp on each pitch. I'd need to stay a fortnight to get the car batteries recharged to start the journey home.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:41 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

As said whilst some recent EV's have towing capability it's really the effect on range that's critical.

For caravan sites EV's have to mean a substantial investment in electrical infrastructure.

I'm just wondering about our own situation too. Our two garages are in a block on the opposite side of the farmyard mews development and they have no power, but our neighbours tell us that getting power to them is megabucks and even the business next door runs a generator, rather than getting a mains connection. Even if we did get mains, presumably we'd each have to have a meter and separate bill for our garages. At the opposite end of the mews we have a large drive but it's at the bottom of our garden. We could run a cable out of the fusebox in the kitchen and across 20 ft of garden to our side boundary.Then follow the boundary nearly 80ft to the drive and somehow negotiate the main gate halfway along the boundary. Once we reach the drive then a bollard for charging would be fine. I suspect that little lot will cost an enormous sum to do.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG

Last edited Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:45 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:45 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Kath & I were chewing this over sitting with a glass of red in the cool of the evening on Walney Island this weekend.

We were chatting about Robert's Tessla, and how it seems so much better than his former electric car a Leaf. We guess in a few years there will be a fair few electric cars, and certainly hybrids, that could tow our Troll (or even hydrogen ones).

However the reality is that by 2030 I will be almost 80 years old and my years ahead of towing will probably be few. Putting climate change issues and grandchildren's futures aside, do we just ignore the 2030 deadline and in 2028 pick up the best diesel or petrol tower still available with the best emissions and let that see out our caravaning days.........................................?

Something to ponder

MikeT

Randa france, FINNWOODY, Poptop320 and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:03 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

yep: thats what I plan to do:)

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:18 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

[quote=""|p90955]

We could run a cable out of the fusebox in the kitchen and across 20 ft of garden to our side boundary.Then follow the boundary nearly 80ft to the drive and somehow negotiate the main gate halfway along the boundary.

Assuming this is a tongue in cheek comment since chargers usually need a lot of power and proper installation from the power source to the property itself, the cabling for this length of run would be at least £350 on its own to say nothing about the fusebox maybe needing to be upgraded or even the supply changed to 3-phase:)

Then add the cost of the charger itself, and any installation/certification costs .. so yes, not an insignificant cost

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:23 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:14 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

I wasn't suggesting a DIY job and realise that there are substantial upgrade implications too.

In fact, directly opposite our kitchen window, on the boundary is a water filled brick thing with a metal lion headed spout above it. There's a plug and cable in a plastic bag beside it, which we assume is attached to a pump. Again, we assume that previous reside t used to run a lead from the kitchen window to power it up. As our prospective charging cable would run nearby it would make sense to or a use a permanent connection.
Previous residents also operated a couple of floodlights under trees in the main garden plus another pump in a water feature in the sunken area plus lots of other temporary lighting which has been removed, but remaining cable clips etc show where they were. Our electrician has ensured all is disconnected as it was a potential death trap. It would be nice to get some of that connected properly and running the charging cable to that end of the garden would allow something to be fitted at the same time. So rather than just a charging point, the electric installation provides other opportunities, which might make the cost more palatable

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:40 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.325 Posts

I would not worry about having to run any electrics at cost to yourself Andy. The utilities companies are going to have to dig up most of the UK in the near future to every property as we will all need to treble the capacity of our electrical requirements. It is not just cars needing power but hot water and heating with the forthcoming demise of gas boilers for heating and water, along with I'm guessing the loss of gas for cooking.
And if we are all dead by then how will they power the crems' or will we all be composted when we pop our clogs?

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105771 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1