TV aerials

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 01, 2020 12:44 pm
by Haljolly (deleted)

Quick question.

Currently thinking of a fixed TV aerial on the rear part of the roof. Not sure about looks and wether or not this could possibly de-value our new 542 over the years. Alternative is to have a portable on a ground spike or jockey wheel clamp.

Any thoughts?

Regards

David

Scroll up

RE: TV aerials

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 01, 2020 3:02 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Dave,
many years ago I tried a mast and aerial but never go on with it so gave up. With travelling to France for up to 6 weeks I decided to get a satelite dish and have ended up with a second hand Snipe 2, an amazing bit of kit. We don't have satelite at home so this was a big step for us.
Back on track, when in the UK I thought this was overkill and bought one of the Avtex sucker fixing type aerials, not expecting much. Well I'm now a convert. This is my default setting for the UK If you have an Avtex TV it powers the amp side down the co-axial lead. If not then you have to use the seperate including power lead running off a supply from in the van. https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/electr...U0aAiUsEALw_wcB

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 01, 2020 3:25 pm
by Haljolly (deleted)

Thanks Colin

I have a 66cm sat dish for when in France due to coverage but this was for domestic UK use only I was thinking. I think I’ve attached a picture of the one ALV would pop on. Just wondered if it detracted from the looks of the Eriba really. They stand about 16cm tall and have an integral booster. Yes we have an Avtex Pro TV still sat in its box awaiting its new home!

Regards

David

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 CABFD467-19AD-4A70-9072-0484E79D106F.jpeg 

Last edited Fri May 01, 2020 3:30 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 01, 2020 3:56 pm

The fitted unit does look quite nice and I don't think it distracts, but I doubt it would have the gain of the Avtex unit as it is not directional.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 01, 2020 4:05 pm
by Haljolly (deleted)

Hi Colin

Getting beyond my technical know-how here! It's Omni-directional with an amplifier built in if that sounds right? So the Avtex stick on is literally stuck on the side facing the nearest mast?

Regards

D

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 01, 2020 5:25 pm

Think of a compass. An Omni-directional aerial is looking and magnifying what it sees from all directions. A directional aerial such as the Avtex is focusing on a narrower view or reception angle. If it is looking at an angle of 90' as opposed to 360' in theory an amplifier of the same power would actually be 4 x better.
When I first used my Avtex I was ontop of a hil in Devon. I suctioned the aerial onto a window looking in the direction of thecampsite farmhouse aerial, fed the cable into the van, plugged it into the TV and found I had all of my usual channels.

Colin

and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 01, 2020 7:12 pm
by Haljolly (deleted)

Thanks Colin

I like laymens terms

Regards

D

Last edited Fri May 01, 2020 7:12 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 01, 2020 9:04 pm

Mrs eribaMotters also likes simple things. I think that is why she married me.

Colin

mr_underhill, eribanaut and like this post!
Last edited Fri May 01, 2020 9:13 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 01, 2020 10:06 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.463 Posts

I have heard that ladies should never query their husbands taste as after all look who they married 😂

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
mr_underhill and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 01, 2020 10:30 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

You do like living dangerously don't you !

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
One man and his dog.. retired 🐶
and Julie Grafo like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 02, 2020 7:21 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

If you're on a site with internet, then just use an app like tv mucho.....no antenna or satellite. That's how I watch British TV here.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 02, 2020 3:41 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

The best device for outright performance is a log periodic aerial on a pole. All the smaller digital devices are OK if there is a reasonable signal nearby.

I have a small stick aerial with a magnetic base that I put through the pop top vent on to the roof and try that first. If it fails then I get out my 3 poles, stick them in the ground next to the van and secure to one of the front grab handles. I have a phone app (Freepoint UK) that has never failed me. It gives a compass direction and signal strength for all the available signals in the area and, most importantly, whether the aerial should be aligned vertically or horizontally. Works every time.
Takes 5 minutes to set up including re-tuning the tv.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Rickys Rav, and Poptop320 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:06 pm
by Julia (deleted)

Excellent choice colin. We use the Avtex ariel with a JVC tv. So easy to attach using sucker anywhere on our Eriba. [

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 46 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3