I heard a grinding noise, oh dear.

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:06 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

On the last 1/2 mile of our trip to Wales today I heard a horrible noise as I slowed down for another speed bump. I pulled over, put the hazards on and stopped. Jockey wheel was my first thought but all was fine. I checked the bikes and carriers but again all was fine. The lovely Mrs eribaMotters said it sounded like a can, so I checked underneath, and then I saw it. Graunch marks going back 30m to the last speed bump. The padlock on the wheel carrier had hit the speed bump, snapped and the wheel cradle dropped.
Fortunately I had a lock on the front bike carrier I could use as a replacement. I'm going to put some cable ties on as well and get a spare padlock for the toolbag.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Doonhamer, marmite and Eribanut like this post!
Scroll up

RE: I heard a grinding noise, oh dear.

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:56 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi Colin

That sounds like a lesson for all of us with the use of seemingly ever increasing height on some badly maintained speed humps. I am sure that they're getting higher or does it only seem so. Also at times they are very badly signed and if you don't know the area you can be caught out.

Good job you stopped promptly.Don't carry any bikes at minute or ties, I would probably have had to gash something very temporary together with a spare guy rope and gaffer tape.

I caught my holder a few times when I first got the Troll reversing over kerbs that looked quite low but weren't but have learnt a lesson from it.

Mike

Randa france and marmite like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:56 am
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Hi Colin. Ouch! Where in Wales were you heading? It wasn't you we exchanged acknowledgements with yesterday lunchtime on the A470?
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:59 am

We are about 6 miles inland from Bangor. Bryn Llys C&MC SITE.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:07 am

As the crow flies we are about 25 miles SE of you in Llanwrst. Ellen (do you remember Ellen?) and hubby Mark are here for the weekend in their statically sited Eriba Nova (nice van ).
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
eribaMotters likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:28 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.463 Posts

Roger, please pass on our “hellos” and best wishes to Mark & Ellen. Good to know they are still out and about even if it is static 😁

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:12 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I had a similar problem years ago, the padlock dangling down got damaged and it had to be hacksawed off. I now bag the padlock to avoid dirt and grime getting in and I also tape it upside down to the tyre cradle to stop it catching the floor..

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:54 pm

I fitted the new padlock fitting upwards so should be OK. With the cable ties now around the opening end it will not be going anywhere.
I have today found a slightly different way of approaching the site that only has 4 speed bumps, as opposed to the original 24?

Colin

Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:56 pm

Roger,
I know why you spent so much time on the continent last year. It's bloody wet in Wales.

Colin

Ps when the rain stops, the clouds disperse and the mist rises it is nice and green as a result of all the wet stuff.

Last edited Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:57 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:08 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

I haven't a padlock on my spare wheel, just something like a carabiner clip, though I guess an R clip would work just as well. The 'carabiner' is held on a small piece of chain attached to the underside of the van. This is held right up out the way and is above the lower surface of the wheel cradle...

and atkinbrown like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:33 am

Sounds like my last 3 Eriba's, I wonder why the Germans changed something that worked fine.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:11 am

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #9
Roger,
I know why you spent so much time on the continent last year. It's bloody wet in Wales.

Colin

Ps when the rain stops, the clouds disperse and the mist rises it is nice and green as a result of all the wet stuff.

There speaks a man who recently emigrated from the flat lands of the far east of England and has now settled in the wet west of the UK.

You do know Colin that every time a Englishman from around Merseyside complains about Wet Wales we all go and have a pee in Lake Vyrnwy?

Randa

SOULBLUESMAN68, eribaMotters and FINNWOODY like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 59 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1