Portable solar PV panels

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:39 am
by Adventure Ted (deleted)

What portable solar PV kits are people using?

7 Continents ticked - now more around home with him in his van with a van.
Scroll up

RE: Portable solar PV panels

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:26 pm
by robert wilson (deleted)

I think a better investment is to go for flexible panels on the roof , a lot less flaff

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:12 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

How does solar energy capital cost work out against the rental differential between EHU pitches and non-EHU?

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:23 pm

Well, my solar set up cost nearly £700 to buy and instal so it will be a fair few years before I recoup this investment. But these days electricity hook up can cost £5 per day which is a fair wack. One of the joys of having your own electricity supply is that you can choose a pitch in a far corner of a site and thus be away from the hussle and bustle .I have no regrets whatsoever .

and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:30 pm
by Adventure Ted (deleted)

What system idi u for fro Robert?

7 Continents ticked - now more around home with him in his van with a van.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:04 pm

I'll dig out the bumph in the next few days and post again. I had the set up professionally fitted by a company in Worthing on the South Coast. It is necessary to make a couple of holes in the roof so obviously its important to make sure its all water tight and if the van is new that the warranty is not adversely affected . T

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:21 pm

So £700 to save a fiver a night comes in at break even after 140 nights. As we average 35 nights away per year, if they were all EHU free, payback would be after four years. Trouble is as we have no shower we tend to use sites with facilities and the EHU is normally included in the pitch cost. So, going back over the last 10 years, we've pitched about 5 nights without EHU, normally at dog show Showground venues. That would mean payback in 28 years and as we no longer show the dogs, probably even longer. As I'll be 98 before pay back, I think I'll give it a miss.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Magpie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:02 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: steamdrivenandy wrote in post #7
So £700 to save a fiver a night comes in at break even after 140 nights. As we average 35 nights away per year, if they were all EHU free, payback would be after four years. Trouble is as we have no shower we tend to use sites with facilities and the EHU is normally included in the pitch cost. So, going back over the last 10 years, we've pitched about 5 nights without EHU, normally at dog show Showground venues. That would mean payback in 28 years and as we no longer show the dogs, probably even longer. As I'll be 98 before pay back, I think I'll give it a miss.
That may be just the teeniest bit unfair. With your pattern of use you aren't really a candidate for a fixed-panel PV set-up anyway, and you probably never were.

I don't think everybody looks at doing things to their van from the standpoint of recovering their outlay as soon as possible.

If we sell our van, we'll never get anywhere even remotely close to the money and time we've put into it over the years, but you know what?

It doesn't matter.

We enjoy having it, and we enjoy using it. Bugger the expense. We're only here the once.

If we were genuinely concerned about it giving us value for money, or if we'd recoup our 'investment' two, five or ten years down the road, I'd flog it tomorrow and have done with it.

But that's only my opinion.

granddadgrape, PooleDweller and like this post!
Last edited Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:15 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:26 pm

I totally agree with you, but just pointing out that such projects can eat money for no appreciable return. Whilst if you always pitch in fields with no facilities it may be highly relevant.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:09 pm
by SteveJ (deleted)

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #8

I don't think everybody looks at doing things to their van from the standpoint of recovering their outlay as soon as possible.

If we sell our van, we'll never get anywhere even remotely close to the money and time we've put into it over the years, but you know what?

It doesn't matter.

We enjoy having it, and we enjoy using it. Bugger the expense. We're only here the once.

If we were genuinely concerned about it giving us value for money, or if we'd recoup our 'investment' two, five or ten years down the road, I'd flog it tomorrow and have done with it.

But that's only my opinion.

Well said it's not all about costs or even how you use your van. If you simply gain some extra pleasure from having the option to be more autonomous even if its seldom used then that's fine

I just wonder if the kit included an inverter for small appliances

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:40 pm
by Jez (deleted)

The other thing to consider is that having solar vastly increases your pick of sites, whilst EHU pitches are fought over especially in peak season non electrics are almost always available.
If you want to go one stage further and put up a toilet tent with a trug and shower with a submersible pump the world's your oyster !

2012 Triton 430 GT pushing a Honda CRV 2.2 ictdi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:29 pm

Le Pew is right.If you don't have a hot water facility you are not really a candidate for a fixed panel set up. If you have interior LED lighting then probably a portable system costing £300 will do the trick . Jez is also right ,you can nearly always find a pitch if you don't need electricity .

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:27 pm
by rs540 | 261 Posts

So Robert, are your panels on the popup roof or somewhere behind? The problem for newer vans is that there is now a raised vent behind the popup which makes it awkward to place a panel there. Of course if it's mounted on the popup then the it becomes a question of how to get the cables neatly down to the fixed part of the van and into the wardrobe (assuming that is where the electrics are).

I've been giving this a lot of thought over the last few months but haven't yet decided the best location for the PV panel.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:59 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

I recall somebody posting details of panels mounted on the pop top. They mounted a ceiling rose type fitting under the roof with a flexible/spiral kettle cable running down onto the top of the wardrobe and then onto the required control boxes. Looked a neat solution.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:59 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:10 am
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

I've been solar powered for the last 4 years with my Eriba and a couple of years before that with an Elddis caravan. I wouldn't have it any other way. I prefer grass only pitches and don't want to be lined up with all the others on site. This is particularly important with a van with the door on the "wrong side", you can usually swing the van in any orientation.

My 60W folding panel has never let me down over the 6 years of ownership, I generally have a maximum of a week on any one site before travelling to the next and getting a recharge from the car. I have fitted led lamps and have a couple of hours TV if required plus charging phones and tablets. Always enough at the end of the week for the motor mover.

My panel cost £150. (Photonics Universe) I ran a permanent cable from the battery to a point under the van near the tow bar. Panel plugs in and is chained to the A frame for security, takes seconds to set up. A portable panel is generally more efficient than one mounted flat on the roof as it can be angled to suit the sun. Also, on a longish tethering chain, it can be set up away from the van's shadow.

I didn't do this for cost but for improved camping experience but nonetheless with my camping frequency I would say the payback was a couple of years if that's important.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
, mr_underhill, , , and GT runner like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 47 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1