RE: Portable solar PV panels

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:36 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #14
I recall somebody posting details of panels mounted on the pop top. They mounted a ceiling rose type fitting under the roof with a flexible/spiral kettle cable running down onto the top of the wardrobe and then onto the required control boxes. Looked a neat solution.

Colin

Flexiblefeedwire.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

rs540 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:44 am
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Flexibility and economy, that makes sense. I guess the only downsides might be storage and set up.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:13 am
by robert wilson (deleted)

Both my panels are mounted on the popup roof before being fed through the van via the cupboard area . Ill try and post some photos never done this before so may take a while . The installation is completely waterproof and looks very neat and tidy

rs540 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:46 am
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #14
I recall somebody posting details of panels mounted on the pop top. They mounted a ceiling rose type fitting under the roof with a flexible/spiral kettle cable running down onto the top of the wardrobe and then onto the required control boxes. Looked a neat solution.

Colin

That’s precisely how I envisaged doing it!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:48 am
by rs540 | 261 Posts

This is how I had imagined doing it although in the picture the spiral cable seems a tad long since it is still unstretched despite the roof being up.

Great solution though, now just need to find a decent PV panel...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:15 am
by Jez (deleted)

I'm undecided too regards whether to go portable or fixed. Someone on here had the bright idea of using a semi flexible panel that comes with eyelets on the surround. They attached loops to these and then placed it on the pop up and anchored it down using short bungees hooked under the pop up roof. I think they glued camping mat to the underside of the panel to avoid any damage to the roof.
The cable from the panel can then just run down the outside of the van and suitable connection made either into the electric control unit or direct to battery via a solar charge controller. The connection wire can come from under the van at a suitable point and terminate with connectors to accept the cable from the panel.
I like this idea because you can then forget about it whilst pitched and is easy to dis-assemble when packing up. It also avoids the need to drill any holes through the roof.

2012 Triton 430 GT pushing a Honda CRV 2.2 ictdi

likes this post!
Last edited Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:18 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:22 am

Slapping a portable on the roof is surely almost like having a portable on a stand, only you can't angle it to get the best sun angle?

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:29 am
by Jez (deleted)

I'm not sure that anyone is suggesting doing that, I think you can either go fixed or portable or as I tried to describe (probably not very well) in my last post having a easily dis-assembled roof panel that acts just like a fixed one when in use.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:36 am
by Adventure Ted (deleted)

I've looked at both. The flexible ones aren't as efficient as the the ridged ones but are a hundred pounds cheaper.

7 Continents ticked - now more around home with him in his van with a van.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:54 am

Quote: Jez wrote in post #23
I'm not sure that anyone is suggesting doing that, I think you can either go fixed or portable or as I tried to describe (probably not very well) in my last post having a easily dis-assembled roof panel that acts just like a fixed one when in use.

That's what I mean. You'd be emulating a fixed system in terms of not as flexibly positioned as a freestanding one, but without the ease of operation of a fixed system. If you're going to have to set it up every time, then surely it's better to have it mobile so you can angle it correctly and harness as much energy as possible?

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:15 pm
by Jez (deleted)

Maybe you are right. I think even a portable system needs some maintenance throughout the day i.e.: repositioning and possibly the security aspect of padlocking it to something although on most sites I've been on people with this sort of set up don't seem to worry too much.
The option I've mentioned takes very little time to set up and saves the need to secure your panel permanently to the roof and feeding cables through it. As for optimum placing of the panel then yes undoubtedly it's best at an angle a la the portable ones but it depends if your consumption requires that, for most having it flat on the roof is generally sufficient.
It's just a third "in between" option for those who don't want to start drilling or sticking panels onto the roof and but for attaching four bungees to the panel and hooking the other ends under the pop top roof it takes no more time to set up than a fixed panel.

Last edited Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:19 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:21 pm

Quote: Jez wrote in post #26
It's just a third "in between" option for those who don't want to start drilling or sticking panels onto the roof and but for attaching four bungees to the panel and hooking the other ends under the pop top roof it takes no more time to set up than a fixed panel.
I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you terrifically tall, or do you carry a set of inflatable stepladders with you?

If it's neither, how do you get the panel up there? Sling it up and over like some kind of small, stiff bedsheet?

And would it not be a slightly hazardous thing to be doing if it was windy?

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything; I'm just curious.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:09 pm
by Jez (deleted)

It's a good point you've made and I should make it clear that I haven't done it yet only considered it. I know someone on the forum has done this, I'm just quoting it as an idea. I think as a relatively fit 6ft something fella I'd probably put the wife on my shoulders and get her to hook it on 😂 but I think that I could do it myself if I just released the pop top clips before pushing it up.
Take your point about windy conditions though that could be a tadge dangerous and at the very least could damage the van.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:20 pm

I think I'd sit on Mrs Pete's shoulders. She won the South-West Worcestershire Husband-Carrying Championships last year, and can bench-press a small tractor.

As I said, I wasn't trying to pooh-pooh your idea - not at all. Those things just occurred to me.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:33 pm
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #29
I think I'd sit on Mrs Pete's shoulders. She won the South-West Worcestershire Husband-Carrying Championships last year, and can bench-press a small tractor..

Furthermore, she doesn't read this forum but she's a good friend of mine on Facebook so I could pass this message on you know.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 61 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2