Rear Dashcam

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 29, 2020 12:24 pm
by atkinbrown | 62 Posts

We wondered if anyone else puts a Dashcam in the rear window of their Eriba. We have been doing this since the first trip and its amazing the difference it makes, we no longer seem to have cars, vans and trucks 6 inches from our bumper. The Dashcam cost £30 from Halfords and the wiring socket came from E bay. We just connect it straight onto the Troll leasure battery.

DSC_0330.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)DSC_0326.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Eriba 530GT and Golf 2ltr Estate

Last edited Fri May 29, 2020 12:25 pm | Scroll up

RE: Rear Dashcam

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 29, 2020 5:06 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

I have one fitted with permanent wiring. Very useful when I was rear-ended last year.

I have it connected via a relay that is only live when the towing vehicle is connected and engine running.........the 12Vdc fridge supply actually.

What I found interesting looking at the recorded files is just how noisy and bumpy it is in the back of my 2007 Triton. No wonder folk have trouble with doors falling off in transit!

It's made me think about my replacement tyres that are due after 5 years and choosing a load index that attracts a lower tyre pressure to give a softer run.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual

Randa france, atkinbrown and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Fri May 29, 2020 5:09 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 29, 2020 7:52 pm
by campnsnooze | 1.148 Posts

Yes, we have one in the rear window. The holder clips onto the roller blind and we plug straight into the 'cigarette lighter socket' on the side of the rear dinette strip light. Cost us about £30 and it does seem to keep drivers back...or is it the large 'P' badge for provisional driver stuck in the back window, that keeps them away!!

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 30, 2020 11:02 am
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

I have pondered this idea for a couple of years now and ever since we fitted a front dashcam. I have to say that our front dashcam does play up from time to time and currently doesn't appear to be using the full memory of the SD card. Therefore we are getting overwriting on the card almost on a daily basis.

However, as others have indicated, it gives a little peace of mind even if it's impossible to gauge its usefulness in keeping prats at bay.

As owners on an older van, we fitted a demountable third brake light many years ago which does give us a sense of security and, before last year's trip and knowing that we were going to be travelling through a European country where we know that the driving is very fast and furious (Dave and Bunny came a cropper there a few years ago), I fitted a sticky backed red reflector strip across the back of the Eriba which wrapped around the rear corners. That's the bit that passing van wing mirrors like.

I would like to say that it worked, as in fact it did as we came away from our trip damage free. The strip didn't last though as by the time we got home it was a cool shade of pink

Third brake light:- Fitting a Third Brake Light to Older Vans.

The red reflective strip and third brake light :- rear view.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sat May 30, 2020 5:45 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 30, 2020 11:07 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #4
I have to say that our front dashcam does play up from time to time and currently doesn't appear to be using the full memory of the SD card. Therefore we are getting overwriting on the card almost on a daily basis.
When was the last time you formatted the card?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 30, 2020 11:25 am

Can't remember, Pete? Should I try that do you think?
R

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 30, 2020 12:00 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #6
Can't remember, Pete? Should I try that do you think?
R
Yep. Formatting the card is usually an option in the camera menu.

Much more likely to be an SD card issue than something wrong with the camera, and since SD cards are so cheap these days I'd probably replace it if a reformat doesn't help.

They don't last forever.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 30, 2020 1:13 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Spot on with the re-formatting Pepe. Mine gets done regularly.

Also when purchasing an SD card for a dash cam one should look for a better quality card that is specific for that environment. A dash cam card is written and re-written countless times and a cheaper card cannot cope and gives up quickly. Compare that to a card that sits in a camera. The chances are that it will only get written to once in its lifetime.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 30, 2020 4:22 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

I have one of these and a micro sd 32gb card for it. Maybe now is the time to get it fitted.
I brought one from the Daily Mail to use in my fiat and it worked so well that I brought 2 more at the ridiculous pricce of £19.99 as spares.

IMG_3094.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_3096.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
One man and his dog.. retired 🐶
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 30, 2020 5:08 pm

Quote: mr_underhill wrote in post #9
I have one of these and a micro sd 32gb card for it. Maybe now is the time to get it fitted.

Hey Andy. With a Fiat 500 plus Puck all you'll need is a selfie stick out of the drivers window

Randa

mr_underhill and eribanaut like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 30, 2020 5:25 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

I'll train Max to do it :)

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
One man and his dog.. retired 🐶
Randa france and Julie Grafo like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 59 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1